renaming "unknown" files

mingovia
I imported my music CDs into Banshee.  Many of the CDs were old, and did not have metadata.  So, the songs were put into "Unknown artist".  I then added the metadata by hand.  I did this for about 100 CDs.  Now, I find out that this work I did failed to update the file names for all of these songs.  Belatedly, I found the option to update the file names when you manually edit the metadata.  But, even though I now have updated my preferences to do this, it did not update all of the (thousands) of files that I already manually edited.  It looks like it will now work properly for any CDs I import and manually edit in the future.  But, this does not really help with my current situation.

Is there any way to force Banshee to go back and change all of the (thousands of) file names to match the metadata I have entered?

Re: renaming "unknown" files

Pat Mower
It is all in a data file under your home directory if you are using
linux.  Windows, No Clue.  Should still be in a db.

Pat

On 09/01/2016 10:33 PM, mingovia wrote:

> I imported my music CDs into Banshee.  Many of the CDs were old, and did not
> have metadata.  So, the songs were put into "Unknown artist".  I then added
> the metadata by hand.  I did this for about 100 CDs.  Now, I find out that
> this work I did failed to update the file names for all of these songs.
> Belatedly, I found the option to update the file names when you manually
> edit the metadata.  But, even though I now have updated my preferences to do
> this, it did not update all of the (thousands) of files that I already
> manually edited.  It looks like it will now work properly for any CDs I
> import and manually edit in the future.  But, this does not really help with
> my current situation.
>
> Is there any way to force Banshee to go back and change all of the
> (thousands of) file names to match the metadata I have entered?

pmower.vcf (8 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: renaming "unknown" files

mingovia
I am afraid I don't understand what you are saying.  I am running Linux.
The music files are in ~home/Music/Unknown Artist/Unknown Album/01. Track 1*.mp3

I would like all of these files renamed to their correct song files, in their correct album directories.  Do you know how to do this?  It appears to be impossible to do this manually.

On Thu, Sep 1, 2016 at 10:56 PM, Pat Mower <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

In your Home directory there is a ".config" directory, under which is a banshee directory.

if you download and install (under a deb just apt-get install -y sqlitebrowser), you can look at the dbs.

Pat

On 09/01/2016 11:19 PM, David Eagle wrote:
[...]

IBBoard
Yes, but that only gets you the data. It doesn't get you a "click here
to make all existing file names match their metadata" button. That would
require more scripting and the whole problem is that the "after the
fact" rename is not part of the default extension behaviour.

Mingovia: Have you tried editing an unimportant field? (like "comment"
or "composer") It might trigger a rename, or Banshee might be too
intelligent and know that you changed something that won't affect the
file name.

On 02/09/16 16:39, Pat Mower wrote:

> In your Home directory there is a ".config" directory, under which is a
> banshee directory.
>
> if you download and install (under a deb just apt-get install -y
> sqlitebrowser), you can look at the dbs.
>
> Pat
>

> On 09/01/2016 11:19 PM, David Eagle wrote:
>> I am afraid I don't understand what you are saying.  I am running Linux.
>> The music files are in ~home/Music/Unknown Artist/Unknown Album/01.
>> Track 1*.mp3
>>
>> I would like all of these files renamed to their correct song files,
>> in their correct album directories.  Do you know how to do this?  It
>> appears to be impossible to do this manually.
>>
>> On Thu, Sep 1, 2016 at 10:56 PM, Pat Mower <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>>     It is all in a data file under your home directory if you are
>>     using linux.  Windows, No Clue.  Should still be in a db.
>>
>>     Pat
>>

>>     On 09/01/2016 10:33 PM, mingovia wrote:
>>
>>         I imported my music CDs into Banshee.  Many of the CDs were
>>         old, and did not
>>         have metadata.  So, the songs were put into "Unknown artist".
>>         I then added
>>         the metadata by hand.  I did this for about 100 CDs.  Now, I
>>         find out that
>>         this work I did failed to update the file names for all of
>>         these songs.
>>         Belatedly, I found the option to update the file names when
>>         you manually
>>         edit the metadata.  But, even though I now have updated my
>>         preferences to do
>>         this, it did not update all of the (thousands) of files that I
>>         already
>>         manually edited.  It looks like it will now work properly for
>>         any CDs I
>>         import and manually edit in the future.  But, this does not
>>         really help with
>>         my current situation.
>>
>>         Is there any way to force Banshee to go back and change all of the
>>         (thousands of) file names to match the metadata I have entered?

Re: renaming "unknown" files

Pat Mower
Correct, but sometimes, you just have to do the work!

Pat

On 09/02/2016 09:11 AM, IBBoard wrote:

> Yes, but that only gets you the data. It doesn't get you a "click here
> to make all existing file names match their metadata" button. That would
> require more scripting and the whole problem is that the "after the
> fact" rename is not part of the default extension behaviour.
>
> Mingovia: Have you tried editing an unimportant field? (like "comment"
> or "composer") It might trigger a rename, or Banshee might be too
> intelligent and know that you changed something that won't affect the
> file name.
>
> On 02/09/16 16:39, Pat Mower wrote:
>> In your Home directory there is a ".config" directory, under which is a
>> banshee directory.
>>
>> if you download and install (under a deb just apt-get install -y
>> sqlitebrowser), you can look at the dbs.
>>
>> Pat
>>

>> On 09/01/2016 11:19 PM, David Eagle wrote:
>>> I am afraid I don't understand what you are saying.  I am running Linux.
>>> The music files are in ~home/Music/Unknown Artist/Unknown Album/01.
>>> Track 1*.mp3
>>>
>>> I would like all of these files renamed to their correct song files,
>>> in their correct album directories.  Do you know how to do this?  It
>>> appears to be impossible to do this manually.
>>>
>>> On Thu, Sep 1, 2016 at 10:56 PM, Pat Mower <[hidden email]
>>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>>
>>>      It is all in a data file under your home directory if you are
>>>      using linux.  Windows, No Clue.  Should still be in a db.
>>>
>>>      Pat
>>>

>>>      On 09/01/2016 10:33 PM, mingovia wrote:
>>>
>>>          I imported my music CDs into Banshee.  Many of the CDs were
>>>          old, and did not
>>>          have metadata.  So, the songs were put into "Unknown artist".
>>>          I then added
>>>          the metadata by hand.  I did this for about 100 CDs.  Now, I
>>>          find out that
>>>          this work I did failed to update the file names for all of
>>>          these songs.
>>>          Belatedly, I found the option to update the file names when
>>>          you manually
>>>          edit the metadata.  But, even though I now have updated my
>>>          preferences to do
>>>          this, it did not update all of the (thousands) of files that I
>>>          already
>>>          manually edited.  It looks like it will now work properly for
>>>          any CDs I
>>>          import and manually edit in the future.  But, this does not
>>>          really help with
>>>          my current situation.
>>>
>>>          Is there any way to force Banshee to go back and change all of the
>>>          (thousands of) file names to match the metadata I have entered?

pmower.vcf (8 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: renaming "unknown" files

IBBoard
And sometimes you don't *know* how to do the work, and so you post on a
mailing list to ask a helpful community whether there are any answers
that anyone else (who knows more than you) already uses that they can
give to you…

Given that the data all of the values will be in the database then it
won't be impossible to make a script to do the renaming based on
database entries, but I doubt it'll be anything close to a one-liner
either because of all of the caveats and cleaning that would be done.

From a quick search for "banshee rename script", I did find an Ask
Ubuntu question [1] saying that "editing" the metadata without changing
it should be enough.

There's also a different question that suggests a quick database update
might trigger Banshee's renaming behaviour [2]. Make sure you backup the
database by copying the .db file, though!

Maybe those will be helpful.

[1]
https://askubuntu.com/questions/39344/is-there-a-way-for-banshee-to-rename-a-song-file-according-to-its-tags

[2] http://askubuntu.com/a/48490

On 02/09/16 17:59, Pat Mower wrote:

> Correct, but sometimes, you just have to do the work!
>
> Pat
>

> On 09/02/2016 09:11 AM, IBBoard wrote:
>> Yes, but that only gets you the data. It doesn't get you a "click here
>> to make all existing file names match their metadata" button. That would
>> require more scripting and the whole problem is that the "after the
>> fact" rename is not part of the default extension behaviour.
>>
>> Mingovia: Have you tried editing an unimportant field? (like "comment"
>> or "composer") It might trigger a rename, or Banshee might be too
>> intelligent and know that you changed something that won't affect the
>> file name.
>>
>> On 02/09/16 16:39, Pat Mower wrote:
>>> In your Home directory there is a ".config" directory, under which is a
>>> banshee directory.
>>>
>>> if you download and install (under a deb just apt-get install -y
>>> sqlitebrowser), you can look at the dbs.
>>>
>>> Pat

Re: renaming "unknown" files

mingovia
So, what I am hearing is that Banshee cannot clean up this mess.  I will need to:

1.  Download a utility to examine the Banshee database.
2.  Examine the database and make a list of all the albums.
3.  Compare that list to the subdirectories under home/music, and create directories for all the albums that are not already there.
4.  Using the database, identify (for each album) the files that belong to that album.
5.  Move those files into their respective subdirectories.
6.  Download a utility to read the metadata information (either from the file itself or the database, I don't know which.  If it is the file, how did that info get there?) and rename files accordingly.
7.  For every file (or, at least, every album) run the utility to rename the "unknown" files to song files.

Have I just about got it right?

On Fri, Sep 2, 2016 at 8:39 AM, Pat Mower <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Your suggestion to edit an unimportant field worked!!!!!

That was a great idea!  Very creative!

It is still some work for me, because I have to touch every song in my library.  But, it is a lot safer because what I have to do is pretty mindless.

Just as a final comment on this topic, it seems to me that when you change your preferences to "automatically change file names", Banshee should ask if you want to update your entire collection (and then, of course, do it for me automagically).

On Fri, Sep 2, 2016 at 9:11 AM, IBBoard <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes, but that only gets you the data. It doesn't get you a "click here
to make all existing file names match their metadata" button. That would
require more scripting and the whole problem is that the "after the
fact" rename is not part of the default extension behaviour.

Mingovia: Have you tried editing an unimportant field? (like "comment"
or "composer") It might trigger a rename, or Banshee might be too
intelligent and know that you changed something that won't affect the
file name.

On 02/09/16 16:39, Pat Mower wrote:
> In your Home directory there is a ".config" directory, under which is a
> banshee directory.
>
> if you download and install (under a deb just apt-get install -y
> sqlitebrowser), you can look at the dbs.
>
> Pat
>

> On 09/01/2016 11:19 PM, David Eagle wrote:
>> I am afraid I don't understand what you are saying.  I am running Linux.
>> The music files are in ~home/Music/Unknown Artist/Unknown Album/01.
>> Track 1*.mp3
>>
>> I would like all of these files renamed to their correct song files,
>> in their correct album directories.  Do you know how to do this?  It
>> appears to be impossible to do this manually.
>>
>> On Thu, Sep 1, 2016 at 10:56 PM, Pat Mower <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>>     It is all in a data file under your home directory if you are
>>     using linux.  Windows, No Clue.  Should still be in a db.
>>
>>     Pat
>>

>>     On 09/01/2016 10:33 PM, mingovia wrote:
>>
>>         I imported my music CDs into Banshee.  Many of the CDs were
>>         old, and did not
>>         have metadata.  So, the songs were put into "Unknown artist".
>>         I then added
>>         the metadata by hand.  I did this for about 100 CDs.  Now, I
>>         find out that
>>         this work I did failed to update the file names for all of
>>         these songs.
>>         Belatedly, I found the option to update the file names when
>>         you manually
>>         edit the metadata.  But, even though I now have updated my
>>         preferences to do
>>         this, it did not update all of the (thousands) of files that I
>>         already
>>         manually edited.  It looks like it will now work properly for
>>         any CDs I
>>         import and manually edit in the future.  But, this does not
>>         really help with
>>         my current situation.
>>
>>         Is there any way to force Banshee to go back and change all of the
>>         (thousands of) file names to match the metadata I have entered?

Re: renaming "unknown" files

Hendrik Maryns
Hi,

Op 02-09-16 om 21:16 schreef David Eagle:
> Your suggestion to edit an unimportant field worked!!!!!
>
> That was a great idea!  Very creative!
>
> It is still some work for me, because I have to touch every song in my
> library.  But, it is a lot safer because what I have to do is pretty
> mindless.

Can’t you select all the files, edit them all at once, then indeed
modify an unimportant field and synchronise that field?  Then all the
files are edited at once.  Might work.

> Just as a final comment on this topic, it seems to me that when you
> change your preferences to "automatically change file names", Banshee
> should ask if you want to update your entire collection (and then, of
> course, do it for me automagically).

File an RFE.

Cheers, H.

> [...]
>     >>         [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     <mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>     >>         https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/banshee-list
>     >>         (unsubscribe here)
>     >>
>     >>
>     >>
>     >>     _______________________________________________
>     >>     banshee-list mailing list
>     >>     [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     <mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>     >>     https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/banshee-list
>     >>     (unsubscribe here)
>     >>
>     >>
>     >>
>     >>
>     >> _______________________________________________
>     >> banshee-list mailing list
>     >> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

Hendrik Maryns

Drielandenhoek 24
NL-2034 LV Haarlem
+31237370263
+31634861841 (staat meestal uit, enkel na afspraak)
http://hendrikmaryns.name/
===========
Wat moet ik met signature.asc?!?  Kort gezegt: niks, lang antwoort:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PGP
http://mindprod.com/project/mailreadernewsreader.html
Kan je niet spellen?!?  Toch wel hoor:
http://hendrikmaryns.name/spelling.php

Re: renaming "unknown" files

chrisperro

Hello!

As another suggestion, I strongly recommend the MusicBrainz Picard (open source) software. It can rename/move your files according to their metadata. Also, you can add the AcousticID to analyze your tracks and match them with very accurate databases on the Web.

If you don't want to make sure that Banshee detects the file moving, and not recognize the tracks as new ones (and risk loosing information about these tracks in Banshee), make sure that Banshee runs and has the "Library extension" enable while you rename your file.

Good luck!

Le 2016-09-02 à 15:16, David Eagle a écrit :
> [...]

>>         the metadata by hand.  I did this for about 100 CDs.  Now, I
>>         find out that
>>         this work I did failed to update the file names for all of
>>         these songs.
>>         Belatedly, I found the option to update the file names when
>>         you manually
>>         edit the metadata.  But, even though I now have updated my
>>         preferences to do
>>         this, it did not update all of the (thousands) of files that I
>>         already
>>         manually edited.  It looks like it will now work properly for
>>         any CDs I
>>         import and manually edit in the future.  But, this does not
>>         really help with
>>         my current situation.
>>
>>         Is there any way to force Banshee to go back and change all of the
>>         (thousands of) file names to match the metadata I have entered?

Re: renaming "unknown" files

chrisperro

Little typo error, I wanted to write : If you want to make sure that Banshee detects the file moves [...]

Le 2016-09-02 à 15:28, Christian Perreault a écrit :

> [...]

>>         the metadata by hand.  I did this for about 100 CDs.  Now, I
>>         find out that
>>         this work I did failed to update the file names for all of
>>         these songs.
>>         Belatedly, I found the option to update the file names when
>>         you manually
>>         edit the metadata.  But, even though I now have updated my
>>         preferences to do
>>         this, it did not update all of the (thousands) of files that I
>>         already
>>         manually edited.  It looks like it will now work properly for
>>         any CDs I
>>         import and manually edit in the future.  But, this does not
>>         really help with
>>         my current situation.
>>
>>         Is there any way to force Banshee to go back and change all of the
>>         (thousands of) file names to match the metadata I have entered?

Re: renaming "unknown" files

Pat Mower

Kind of.  Once you get Sqlitebrowser, you can find the correct databases and probably print out the list.

Sounds good to me.  I know it is a pain in the .... but, you have this ability.

One thing to do, once you get it finished, make a backup of the bansheeXXXX directroty....if you do that when you have changed enough, you won't have as much to do.

Pat