"Cannot search for CD metadata"

aquaboot
Hi All,

I've just installed Banshee on Debian Sid. I like it very much, but it
doesn't recognize song title or album/band name for store-bought cds.
I'm assuming it fetches the info from the Web since it complains "Cannot
search for CD metadata: there is no available internet connection." I've
tested my connection successfully several times (I'm writing this from
the same computer). Amarok and Rhythymbox both return song, band, album
and cover art. Anyone else run into this?

Many Thanks,

Chris

Re: "Cannot search for CD metadata"

Michael Hutchinson
On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 8:39 PM, Christopher S. Jones
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've just installed Banshee on Debian Sid. I like it very much, but it
> doesn't recognize song title or album/band name for store-bought cds.
> I'm assuming it fetches the info from the Web since it complains "Cannot
> search for CD metadata: there is no available internet connection." I've
> tested my connection successfully several times (I'm writing this from
> the same computer). Amarok and Rhythymbox both return song, band, album
> and cover art. Anyone else run into this?

I think Banshee talks to NetworkManager over DBus to check whether
there's an internet connection before trying to download metadata. It
sounds like the problem's there.

--
Michael Hutchinson
http://mjhutchinson.com

Re: "Cannot search for CD metadata"

Brandon Perry-2
Yeah, I had problems with that when I was using wifiradar to get my internet connections over wifi.

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've just installed Banshee on Debian Sid. I like it very much, but it
> doesn't recognize song title or album/band name for store-bought cds.
> I'm assuming it fetches the info from the Web since it complains "Cannot
> search for CD metadata: there is no available internet connection." I've
> tested my connection successfully several times (I'm writing this from
> the same computer). Amarok and Rhythymbox both return song, band, album
> and cover art. Anyone else run into this?

I think Banshee talks to NetworkManager over DBus to check whether
there's an internet connection before trying to download metadata. It
sounds like the problem's there.

--
Michael Hutchinson
http://mjhutchinson.com

Re: "Cannot search for CD metadata"

aquaboot
Thanks for the tip.  I've seen mention of network-manager in this regard
but am having some problems conceptually understanding its relationship
to Banshee (other than Banshee uses it to find Net connection).  I'm
using a static IP on my desktop.  Is there a way to inform
network-manager of my tcp/ip info so that Banshee can use it to connect
to the Net?

Many Thanks,

Chris

Brandon Perry wrote:

> Yeah, I had problems with that when I was using wifiradar to get my
> internet connections over wifi.
>
> On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 8:25 PM, Michael Hutchinson
>
>     On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 8:39 PM, Christopher S. Jones
>     > Hi All,
>     >
>     > I've just installed Banshee on Debian Sid. I like it very much,
>     but it
>     > doesn't recognize song title or album/band name for store-bought
>     cds.
>     > I'm assuming it fetches the info from the Web since it complains
>     "Cannot
>     > search for CD metadata: there is no available internet
>     connection." I've
>     > tested my connection successfully several times (I'm writing
>     this from
>     > the same computer). Amarok and Rhythymbox both return song,
>     band, album
>     > and cover art. Anyone else run into this?
>
>     I think Banshee talks to NetworkManager over DBus to check whether
>     there's an internet connection before trying to download metadata. It
>     sounds like the problem's there.
>
>     --
>     Michael Hutchinson
>     http://mjhutchinson.com

Re: "Cannot search for CD metadata"

Brandon Perry-2
What distro are you on right now?

Brandon Perry wrote:
> Yeah, I had problems with that when I was using wifiradar to get my
> internet connections over wifi.
>
> On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 8:25 PM, Michael Hutchinson
>
>     On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 8:39 PM, Christopher S. Jones
>     > Hi All,
>     >
>     > I've just installed Banshee on Debian Sid. I like it very much,
>     but it
>     > doesn't recognize song title or album/band name for store-bought
>     cds.
>     > I'm assuming it fetches the info from the Web since it complains
>     "Cannot
>     > search for CD metadata: there is no available internet
>     connection." I've
>     > tested my connection successfully several times (I'm writing
>     this from
>     > the same computer). Amarok and Rhythymbox both return song,
>     band, album
>     > and cover art. Anyone else run into this?
>
>     I think Banshee talks to NetworkManager over DBus to check whether
>     there's an internet connection before trying to download metadata. It
>     sounds like the problem's there.
>
>     --
>     Michael Hutchinson
>     http://mjhutchinson.com

Re: "Cannot search for CD metadata"

aquaboot
Hi,

Thanks for your response.  I'm using Debian Testing.

Cheers,

-c

http://live.gnome.org/DarrenAlbers/NetworkManagerFAQ

Brandon Perry wrote:
> What distro are you on right now?
>
> On Sun, May 25, 2008 at 10:56 AM, Christopher S. Jones
>
>     Thanks for the tip.  I've seen mention of network-manager in this
>     regard
>     but am having some problems conceptually understanding its
>     relationship
>     to Banshee (other than Banshee uses it to find Net connection).  I'm
>     using a static IP on my desktop.  Is there a way to inform
>     network-manager of my tcp/ip info so that Banshee can use it to
>     connect
>     to the Net?
>
>     Many Thanks,
>
>     Chris
>
>     Brandon Perry wrote:
>     > Yeah, I had problems with that when I was using wifiradar to get my
>     > internet connections over wifi.
>     >
>     > On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 8:25 PM, Michael Hutchinson
>     > <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     <mailto:[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>>> wrote:
>     >
>     >     On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 8:39 PM, Christopher S. Jones
>     >     <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     <mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>> wrote:
>     >     > Hi All,
>     >     >
>     >     > I've just installed Banshee on Debian Sid. I like it very
>     much,
>     >     but it
>     >     > doesn't recognize song title or album/band name for
>     store-bought
>     >     cds.
>     >     > I'm assuming it fetches the info from the Web since it
>     complains
>     >     "Cannot
>     >     > search for CD metadata: there is no available internet
>     >     connection." I've
>     >     > tested my connection successfully several times (I'm writing
>     >     this from
>     >     > the same computer). Amarok and Rhythymbox both return song,
>     >     band, album
>     >     > and cover art. Anyone else run into this?
>     >
>     >     I think Banshee talks to NetworkManager over DBus to check
>     whether
>     >     there's an internet connection before trying to download
>     metadata. It
>     >     sounds like the problem's there.
>     >
>     >     --
>     >     Michael Hutchinson
>     >     http://mjhutchinson.com
>     >     _______________________________________________
>     >     Banshee-list mailing list
>     >     [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     <mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>     >     http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/banshee-list
>     >
>     >
>     >

Re: "Cannot search for CD metadata"

Roderich Schupp
On Sun, May 25, 2008 at 10:23 PM, Christopher S. Jones
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks for your response.  I'm using Debian Testing.

Then your network interface is probably listed as "iface ... inet static" in
/etc/network/interfaces. In that case, NetworkManager will simply not
look at it,
hence answer "not connected" when asked for the state of network connections
(assuming it's your only interface).
Banshee asks NetworkManager this question, the code is in
src/Core/Banshee.Services/Banshee.Networking/NetworkDetect.cs, class
NetworkDetect, method Connected. AFAIK there's no way to force
the NetworkManager (as of version 0.6.6) to answer "connected",
so I see only two options:

(1) Disable NetworkManager altogether (if you don't need it for other stuff
like dial up connections or VPN setup). If Banshee can't contact
NetworkManager at all, it will assume "connected".

(2) Patch Banshee, e.g. the above method should read

        public bool Connected {
            get { return true; }
        }

Cheers, Roderich

Re: "Cannot search for CD metadata"

David Nielsen

2008/5/25 Christopher S. Jones <[hidden email]>:
Hi,

Thanks for your response.  I'm using Debian Testing.

Cheers,

Same issue on Fedora 9 x86_64 (NetworkManager 0.7). I was helping a friend rip cds the other night at her place, banshee couldn't collect metadata but sound-juicer could - however it reported an error with every CD and asked to contribute the metadata back despite having fetched it correctly so maybe some kind of API chanhed underneath us.

- David

Re: "Cannot search for CD metadata"

aquaboot
Hi All,

Thanks again for the help.  I removed startup links for network-manager
in runlevels 3 & 5.  I still get the same thing- Banshee reports not
internet connection.  I hate to keep troubling you guys.  I'll just use
sound juicer for now.

Cheers,

chris