does Banshee modify MP3 files?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

does Banshee modify MP3 files?

rebeltaz
I ask because every time I run a back up on my media drive, it insists on re-backing up the MP3 file, as if they have changed since the last backup. Also, when I tell Banshee to sort by Last Added, almost every thing is set to April 20th 2015... and that just is not right. If Banshee does modify files, why and how can I stop it - other than write protecting the files themselves? Thanks.


✞ Derek Tombrello (KM4JAG)
www.RobotsAndComputers.com

-=[ Come Join Me in THE $1 Social Experiment ]=-
... www.RobotsAndComputers.com/blog/?p=138 ...
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: does Banshee modify MP3 files?

Adam  Tauno Williams
On Wed, 2015-05-13 at 20:22 -0700, rebeltaz wrote:

> I ask because every time I run a back up on my media drive, it
> insists on
> re-backing up the MP3 file, as if they have changed since the last
> backup.
> Also, when I tell Banshee to sort by Last Added, almost every thing
> is set
> to April 20th 2015... and that just is not right. If Banshee does
> modify
> files, why and how can I stop it - other than write protecting the
> files
> themselves? Thanks.

Depends on what options you have checked; but, yes, Banshee can modify
the MP3s.  For example it may be updating play count, etc...

--
Adam Tauno Williams <mailto:[hidden email]> GPG D95ED383
Systems Administrator, Python Developer, LPI / NCLA

_______________________________________________
banshee-list mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/banshee-list  (unsubscribe here)
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: does Banshee modify MP3 files?

rebeltaz
That was what I was curious about... so Play Count is stored within each file? Why would Banshee not use a central location for that rather than update the file itself? OK, so I guess I need to turn that off... Thank you!

--

Derek Tombrello (KM4JAG)
www.RobotsAndComputers.com

-=[ Come Join Me in THE $1 Social Experiment ]=-
....... www.RobotsAndComputers.com/blog/?p=138 .......


On Thu, 2015-05-14 at 07:11 -0400, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
On Wed, 2015-05-13 at 20:22 -0700, rebeltaz wrote:
> I ask because every time I run a back up on my media drive, it 
> insists on
> re-backing up the MP3 file, as if they have changed since the last 
> backup.
> Also, when I tell Banshee to sort by Last Added, almost every thing 
> is set
> to April 20th 2015... and that just is not right. If Banshee does 
> modify
> files, why and how can I stop it - other than write protecting the 
> files
> themselves? Thanks. 

Depends on what options you have checked; but, yes, Banshee can modify
the MP3s.  For example it may be updating play count, etc...


_______________________________________________
banshee-list mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/banshee-list  (unsubscribe here)
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: does Banshee modify MP3 files?

Bertrand Lorentz
Administrator
Hello,

Play count can be stored in each file, like other metadata (title, artists, etc.). But by default Banshee does not modify your music files and keeps this information in its own database.
You can review and change the options related to this in Edit > Preferences, in the "General" tab, under "Files policies".

Are you sure your issue is caused by Banshee ? Some file systems, depending on their parameters, can store the access time as file metadata, so reading a file modifies something.

Cheers,

--
Bertrand

On Thu, May 14, 2015 at 6:00 PM, Derek Tombrello <[hidden email]> wrote:
That was what I was curious about... so Play Count is stored within each file? Why would Banshee not use a central location for that rather than update the file itself? OK, so I guess I need to turn that off... Thank you!

--


Derek Tombrello (KM4JAG)
www.RobotsAndComputers.com

-=[ Come Join Me in THE $1 Social Experiment ]=-
....... www.RobotsAndComputers.com/blog/?p=138 .......


On Thu, 2015-05-14 at 07:11 -0400, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
On Wed, 2015-05-13 at 20:22 -0700, rebeltaz wrote:
> I ask because every time I run a back up on my media drive, it 
> insists on
> re-backing up the MP3 file, as if they have changed since the last 
> backup.
> Also, when I tell Banshee to sort by Last Added, almost every thing 
> is set
> to April 20th 2015... and that just is not right. If Banshee does 
> modify
> files, why and how can I stop it - other than write protecting the 
> files
> themselves? Thanks. 

Depends on what options you have checked; but, yes, Banshee can modify
the MP3s.  For example it may be updating play count, etc...


_______________________________________________
banshee-list mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/banshee-list  (unsubscribe here)


_______________________________________________
banshee-list mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/banshee-list  (unsubscribe here)
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: does Banshee modify MP3 files?

rebeltaz
Actually... no, I'm not certain. I just assumed since that is the only program that I ever use to access the MP3 files. And in looking, I do already have 'play count' unchecked... I have 'Write Metadata to Files' checked... what does that do when?

--

Derek Tombrello (KM4JAG)
www.RobotsAndComputers.com

-=[ Come Join Me in THE $1 Social Experiment ]=-
....... www.RobotsAndComputers.com/blog/?p=138 .......


On Thu, 2015-05-14 at 09:47 -0700, Bertrand Lorentz [via Banshee Media Player] wrote:
Hello,


Play count can be stored in each file, like other metadata (title, artists, etc.). But by default Banshee does not modify your music files and keeps this information in its own database.
You can review and change the options related to this in Edit > Preferences, in the "General" tab, under "Files policies".


Are you sure your issue is caused by Banshee ? Some file systems, depending on their parameters, can store the access time as file metadata, so reading a file modifies something.


Cheers,


--
Bertrand

On Thu, May 14, 2015 at 6:00 PM, Derek Tombrello <[hidden email]> wrote:
That was what I was curious about... so Play Count is stored within each file? Why would Banshee not use a central location for that rather than update the file itself? OK, so I guess I need to turn that off... Thank you!
--


Derek Tombrello (KM4JAG)
www.RobotsAndComputers.com

-=[ Come Join Me in THE $1 Social Experiment ]=-
....... www.RobotsAndComputers.com/blog/?p=138 .......



On Thu, 2015-05-14 at 07:11 -0400, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
On Wed, 2015-05-13 at 20:22 -0700, rebeltaz wrote:
> I ask because every time I run a back up on my media drive, it 
> insists on
> re-backing up the MP3 file, as if they have changed since the last 
> backup.
> Also, when I tell Banshee to sort by Last Added, almost every thing 
> is set
> to April 20th 2015... and that just is not right. If Banshee does 
> modify
> files, why and how can I stop it - other than write protecting the 
> files
> themselves? Thanks. 

Depends on what options you have checked; but, yes, Banshee can modify
the MP3s.  For example it may be updating play count, etc...


_______________________________________________
banshee-list mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/banshee-list  (unsubscribe here)



_______________________________________________
banshee-list mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/banshee-list  (unsubscribe here)


If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://banshee-media-player.2283330.n4.nabble.com/does-Banshee-modify-MP3-files-tp4652289p4652294.html
To unsubscribe from does Banshee modify MP3 files?, click here.
NAML
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: does Banshee modify MP3 files?

Adam  Tauno Williams
On Thu, 2015-05-14 at 10:20 -0700, rebeltaz wrote:
> Actually... no, I'm not certain. I just assumed since that is the
> only program that I ever use to access the MP3 files. And in
> looking, I do already have 'play count' unchecked... I have 'Write
> Metadata to Files' checked... what does that do when?

Possibly updates the last pay date... I don't know exactly when that
updates a file.

md5sum a file, play the file via Banshee, exit Banshee, md5sum the
file... did it change?  That would tell you if just playing the file
modifies the file.

--
Adam Tauno Williams <mailto:[hidden email]> GPG D95ED383
Systems Administrator, Python Developer, LPI / NCLA

_______________________________________________
banshee-list mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/banshee-list  (unsubscribe here)
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: does Banshee modify MP3 files?

Roderich Schupp-2
On Thu, May 14, 2015 at 8:32 PM, Adam Tauno Williams <[hidden email]> wrote:
Possibly updates the last pay date... I don't know exactly when that
updates a file.

Nope. Other than "inherent" metadata like artist, album and title, Banshee may also update
the track's rating and play count, but these are governed by separate options in "File Policies".
The "last played" timestamp is kept in the database only.

Cheers, Roderich


_______________________________________________
banshee-list mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/banshee-list  (unsubscribe here)