Unable to import audio media program freeze

Unable to import audio media program freeze

span-drel

Yesterday, after years of excellent service I found that I was unable to import any form of audio media (mp3, FLAC no videos).

Any attempt to use Media -> Import Media or Tools -> Rescan Music Library results in a program freeze.

I have tried the following actions to solve this issue, all without success:

* Importing the different sizes of contents from a whole folder or an individual file, import freeze still happens

* Importing after Banshee has been launched using a terminal, import freeze still happens & no error appears in the terminal.
* Removing the whole music library & reimporting, import freeze still happens.
* Purging & reinstalling the program, import freeze still happens.
* Web searches have indicated this problem occasionally happening in the past (years ago). But these old occurrences don’t seem to be applicable to my problem.

Unfortunately, this problem effectively makes Banshee ‘not-fit-for-purpose’. It would be much appreciated if I could get some clues or pointers as to how I can fix this problem.

System Details:

Distribution Debian testing/stretch

Music collection size 38.4 GB (mainly FLAC)

No of music tracks 2000

Banshee 2.6.2-5

gnome 1:3.14+4

gnome-shell 3.18.1-1

Re: Unable to import audio media program freeze

Bill
I wish I could help, I only have Banshee 2.6.2, since it's impossible to
install 2.9 on LM17.3, seems to freeze because of all the library there
being quite big when I bring it up after a while of it stayin around in
the notification area. But it ends up loading correctly 95% of the time,
others I have to bring sysmanager and kill it then bring it back. It's
gotten slower than it was when my desktop was an AMD64-Dual Core 4400mhz
at times which is really weird when I now have an AMDFX-8350 octocore at
4gb and 16gb of 1866mhz of corsair ram.

On 16-03-29 06:38 PM, James Aitken wrote:

> *
>
> Yesterday, after years of excellent service I found that I was unable to
> import any form of audio media (mp3, FLAC no videos).
>
> Any attempt to use Media -> Import Media or Tools -> Rescan Music
> Library results in a program freeze.
>
> I have tried the following actions to solve this issue, all without
> success*:
>
> *
>
> ** Importing the different sizes of contents from a whole folder or an
> individual file, import freeze still happens
>
> * Importing after Banshee has been launched using a terminal, import
> freeze still happens & no error appears in the terminal.
> * Removing the whole music library & reimporting, import freeze still
> happens.
> * Purging & reinstalling the program, import freeze still happens.
> * Web searches have indicated this problem occasionally happening in the
> past (years ago). But these old occurrences don’t seem to be applicable
> to my problem.
>

> Unfortunately, this problem effectively makes Banshee
> ‘not-fit-for-purpose’. It would be much appreciated if I could get some
> clues or pointers as to how I can fix this problem.
>
> System Details:
>
> Distribution Debian testing/stretch
>
> Music collection size 38.4 GB (mainly FLAC)
>
> No of music tracks 2000
>
> Banshee 2.6.2-5
>
> gnome 1:3.14+4
>
> gnome-shell 3.18.1-1

Re: Unable to import audio media program freeze

Roderich Schupp-2
On Wed, Mar 30, 2016 at 12:38 AM, James Aitken <[hidden email]> wrote:
Unfortunately, this problem effectively makes Banshee ‘not-fit-for-purpose’. It would be much appreciated if I could get some clues or pointers as to how I can fix this problem.

Did you update any software lately, esp. sqlite3?

Cheers, Roderich

Re: Unable to import audio media program freeze

span-drel
Roderich, thanks for the reply. I use the standard Banshee 2.6.2 in the Debian Stretch/Testing. As far as I am aware it has not been updated for a while.
https://packages.debian.org/stretch/banshee

The only ‘sqlite’ dependency I can spot is libsqlite3-0 (3.11.1) again as far as I am aware it has not been updated for a while.
https://packages.debian.org/stretch/libsqlite3-0

But, thanks to a bit more Googling I have stumbled across this recent GNOME Bugzilla “Bug 759911 - DAAP extension makes Banshee hang when importing media”. Apparently, disabling the DAAP extension followed by a restart fixes the problem, I will give this a go tonight.

On Wed, Mar 30, 2016 at 2:08 PM, span-drel <[hidden email]> wrote:

The only ‘sqlite’ dependency I can spot is libsqlite3-0 (3.11.1) again as
far as I am aware it has not been updated for a while.
https://packages.debian.org/stretch/libsqlite3-0

Yeah, that might not be the reason for Banshee freezing up, but some operations become slow as molasses.
This is caused by updating sqlite3 to 3.x.y where x >= 10 because the fix for the above bug  does a runtime check for

SELECT sqlite_version () >= '3.8.1'

which fails for 3.11.1 (but should pass).

Cheers, Roderich

Re: Unable to import audio media program freeze

span-drel
Quick note to say that my problem is the same as GNOME Bugzilla Bug 759911. Disabling the DAAP extension followed by a restart fixed Banshee & I am now back to normal. Thanks for the helpful responses.