Ubuntu Problem w/ banshee-1 series

Josiah Ritchie-3
Where do I report problems running it on Banshee, with PPA at
LaunchPad or at Gnome's Bugzilla?

For now I'll toss my symptoms here. I've been unable to play any sort
of audio since my install of Hardy a couple days after its release. I
have just about anything gstreamer related installed. I've been
compiling by hand, but did just try an uninstall and the RC1 from
launchpad. This gives me the same results I've been getting from trunk
for awhile. I expect it is a problem with my system, but I am getting
no debug output of interest the file just sits at 0 and doesn't
progress, make any sound or anything. It's like it's frozen, but I can
move to another file, last.fm stream or podcast. I can queue things
up. I can do everything but make the file play. When I installed RC1
through apt-get, it didn't add any depends so it seems that's not the
problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
JSR/

--
Our Mission
Technology and Hospitality for God's Workmen

Re: Ubuntu Problem w/ banshee-1 series

Michał Sawicz
Dnia 2008-06-02, pon o godzinie 09:03 -0400, Josiah Ritchie pisze:
> I've been unable to play any sort
> of audio since my install of Hardy a couple days after its release.

There are several things to check:
a) is pulseaudio running?
b) which audio system have you selected in gstreamer-properties?
c) do gst-launch and/or other gstreamer based players (e.g. totem) work
fine?

--
Michal Sawicz <[hidden email]>

Re: Ubuntu Problem w/ banshee-1 series

Chow Loong Jin
Josiah Ritchie wrote:

> Where do I report problems running it on Banshee, with PPA at
> LaunchPad or at Gnome's Bugzilla?
>
> For now I'll toss my symptoms here. I've been unable to play any sort
> of audio since my install of Hardy a couple days after its release. I
> have just about anything gstreamer related installed. I've been
> compiling by hand, but did just try an uninstall and the RC1 from
> launchpad. This gives me the same results I've been getting from trunk
> for awhile. I expect it is a problem with my system, but I am getting
> no debug output of interest the file just sits at 0 and doesn't
> progress, make any sound or anything. It's like it's frozen, but I can
> move to another file, last.fm stream or podcast. I can queue things
> up. I can do everything but make the file play. When I installed RC1
> through apt-get, it didn't add any depends so it seems that's not the
> problem.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> JSR/

Sounds to me like a broken PulseAudio installation. I don't think it can
happen on a fresh install, so I expect that you messed it up somehow
after the install or did an upgrade.

The fix:
1 Make sure the following packages are installed:
  - gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio
  - libasound2-plugins
2 Set up GStreamer to use PulseAudio.
  2.1 Open gstreamer-properties (run gstreamer-properties from Run)
  2.2 Set everything under Audio to use PulseAudio sound server.
3 Set up ALSA to use PulseAudio.
  3.1 Run the command "asoundconf set-pulseaudio" in a terminal.
4 Make sure pulseaudio is running
  4.1 Run "pulseaudio" in the Run dialog.
  4.2 Verify that it's running. "pidof pulseaudio" should show a number.
5 Make sure PulseAudio is started up when you login.
  5.1 Open Sound Properties (System->Preferences->Sound)
  5.2 Under the "Sounds" tab make sure that "Software mixing (ESD) is
checked.

The above steps are to make sure that everything is set to use
PulseAudio. The default settings in Ubuntu Hardy should already be set
like that.

OSS applications should be run with the "padsp" wrapper which is similar
to "aoss" which wraps OSS for ALSA.
--
Hyperair

On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 9:09 AM, Michal Sawicz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Dnia 2008-06-02, pon o godzinie 09:03 -0400, Josiah Ritchie pisze:
>> I've been unable to play any sort
>> of audio since my install of Hardy a couple days after its release.
>
> There are several things to check:
> a) is pulseaudio running?
pulseaudio? That's a new one for me. What does it do?

In any case - ps aux says it's running '/usr/bin/pulseaudio --log-target=syslog'

> b) which audio system have you selected in gstreamer-properties?
Default Output
   Plugin: Autodetect changed to ALSA to get the "Test" button to work properly.

After this I restarted banshee and it didn't change anything.

> c) do gst-launch and/or other gstreamer based players (e.g. totem) work
> fine?

totem-gstreamer is acting the same way that banshee is.

Oh, here's something...
I went into System -> Preferences -> Sound

Music and Movies has the sound playback on Autodetect. I changed this
to ALSA. Now I'm in business.

Thanks for helping me figure out where to look Michal.

JSR/

2008/6/2 Hyperair <[hidden email]>:

> Josiah Ritchie wrote:
>> Where do I report problems running it on Banshee, with PPA at
>> LaunchPad or at Gnome's Bugzilla?
>>
>> For now I'll toss my symptoms here. I've been unable to play any sort
>> of audio since my install of Hardy a couple days after its release. I
>> have just about anything gstreamer related installed. I've been
>> compiling by hand, but did just try an uninstall and the RC1 from
>> launchpad. This gives me the same results I've been getting from trunk
>> for awhile. I expect it is a problem with my system, but I am getting
>> no debug output of interest the file just sits at 0 and doesn't
>> progress, make any sound or anything. It's like it's frozen, but I can
>> move to another file, last.fm stream or podcast. I can queue things
>> up. I can do everything but make the file play. When I installed RC1
>> through apt-get, it didn't add any depends so it seems that's not the
>> problem.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> JSR/
>>
> Sounds to me like a broken PulseAudio installation. I don't think it can
> happen on a fresh install, so I expect that you messed it up somehow
> after the install or did an upgrade.
>
> The fix:
> 1 Make sure the following packages are installed:
>  - gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio
>  - libasound2-plugins
> 2 Set up GStreamer to use PulseAudio.
>  2.1 Open gstreamer-properties (run gstreamer-properties from Run)
>  2.2 Set everything under Audio to use PulseAudio sound server.
> 3 Set up ALSA to use PulseAudio.
>  3.1 Run the command "asoundconf set-pulseaudio" in a terminal.
> 4 Make sure pulseaudio is running
>  4.1 Run "pulseaudio" in the Run dialog.
>  4.2 Verify that it's running. "pidof pulseaudio" should show a number.
> 5 Make sure PulseAudio is started up when you login.
>  5.1 Open Sound Properties (System->Preferences->Sound)
>  5.2 Under the "Sounds" tab make sure that "Software mixing (ESD) is
> checked.
>
> The above steps are to make sure that everything is set to use
> PulseAudio. The default settings in Ubuntu Hardy should already be set
> like that.
>
> OSS applications should be run with the "padsp" wrapper which is similar
> to "aoss" which wraps OSS for ALSA.

Is this better than what I did to change Sound and Movie playback to
ALSA? What advantages does it give?

Thanks,
JSR/

Josiah Ritchie wrote:

> 2008/6/2 Hyperair <[hidden email]>:
>> Josiah Ritchie wrote:
>>> Where do I report problems running it on Banshee, with PPA at
>>> LaunchPad or at Gnome's Bugzilla?
>>>
>>> For now I'll toss my symptoms here. I've been unable to play any sort
>>> of audio since my install of Hardy a couple days after its release. I
>>> have just about anything gstreamer related installed. I've been
>>> compiling by hand, but did just try an uninstall and the RC1 from
>>> launchpad. This gives me the same results I've been getting from trunk
>>> for awhile. I expect it is a problem with my system, but I am getting
>>> no debug output of interest the file just sits at 0 and doesn't
>>> progress, make any sound or anything. It's like it's frozen, but I can
>>> move to another file, last.fm stream or podcast. I can queue things
>>> up. I can do everything but make the file play. When I installed RC1
>>> through apt-get, it didn't add any depends so it seems that's not the
>>> problem.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> JSR/
>>>
>> Sounds to me like a broken PulseAudio installation. I don't think it can
>> happen on a fresh install, so I expect that you messed it up somehow
>> after the install or did an upgrade.
>>
>> The fix:
>> 1 Make sure the following packages are installed:
>>  - gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio
>>  - libasound2-plugins
>> 2 Set up GStreamer to use PulseAudio.
>>  2.1 Open gstreamer-properties (run gstreamer-properties from Run)
>>  2.2 Set everything under Audio to use PulseAudio sound server.
>> 3 Set up ALSA to use PulseAudio.
>>  3.1 Run the command "asoundconf set-pulseaudio" in a terminal.
>> 4 Make sure pulseaudio is running
>>  4.1 Run "pulseaudio" in the Run dialog.
>>  4.2 Verify that it's running. "pidof pulseaudio" should show a number.
>> 5 Make sure PulseAudio is started up when you login.
>>  5.1 Open Sound Properties (System->Preferences->Sound)
>>  5.2 Under the "Sounds" tab make sure that "Software mixing (ESD) is
>> checked.
>>
>> The above steps are to make sure that everything is set to use
>> PulseAudio. The default settings in Ubuntu Hardy should already be set
>> like that.
>>
>> OSS applications should be run with the "padsp" wrapper which is similar
>> to "aoss" which wraps OSS for ALSA.
>
> Is this better than what I did to change Sound and Movie playback to
> ALSA? What advantages does it give?
>
> Thanks,
> JSR/

PulseAudio's a sound server and the default sound system on Ubuntu
Hardy. It provides certain features like networked sound and individual
apps' volume control. For the latter, you'll need pavucontrol installed.

--
Hyperair

Re: Ubuntu Problem w/ banshee-1 series

Josiah Ritchie-3
2008/6/2 Hyperair <[hidden email]>:

> PulseAudio's a sound server and the default sound system on Ubuntu
> Hardy. It provides certain features like networked sound and individual
> apps' volume control. For the latter, you'll need pavucontrol installed.

Okay, thanks!