Trouble Building Banshee on Linux Mint

Stefan Heule
Hi all,

I'm trying to build banshee on Linux Mint (which should mostly behave
like Ubuntu), and I'm running into problems.  I'm following the
instructions from [1], and installed all the dependencies.  When I run
./autogen.sh, I get the following error:
   configure: error: Package requirements (gstreamer-sharp-1.0 >=
0.99.0) were not met:
   No package 'gstreamer-sharp-1.0' found

What dependency am I missing?  Or what else am I doing wrong?  Any help
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Stefan

[1] http://banshee.fm/download/development/

Re: Trouble Building Banshee on Linux Mint

"Andrés G. Aragoneses"
On 07/04/14 23:27, Stefan Heule wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to build banshee on Linux Mint (which should mostly behave
> like Ubuntu), and I'm running into problems.  I'm following the
> instructions from [1], and installed all the dependencies.  When I run
> ./autogen.sh, I get the following error:
>    configure: error: Package requirements (gstreamer-sharp-1.0 >=
> 0.99.0) were not met:
>    No package 'gstreamer-sharp-1.0' found
>
> What dependency am I missing?  Or what else am I doing wrong?  Any help
> would be greatly appreciated.

You need to install gstreamer-sharp:
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/gstreamer-sharp/ (don't use
master, use the last 0.99.0 tag).

Deb packages for this dependency will come soonish.

Re: Trouble Building Banshee on Linux Mint

bwechner
"Andrés G. Aragoneses" wrote
You need to install gstreamer-sharp:
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/gstreamer-sharp/ (don't use
master, use the last 0.99.0 tag).
Andrés, thanks for the tip, and forgive the ignorance, but I have the same problem, followed the link and don't know how to install gstreamer-sharp.

Further I'm a little nervous that the message we are addressing from autogen.sh is:

configure: error: Package requirements (gstreamer-sharp-1.0 >= 0.99.0) were not met:

No package 'gstreamer-sharp-1.0' found

That is, it's complaining about the lack of a package, which I'd expect to be managed by aptitude (or apt or apt-get or whatever) and am not sure how even if I could get the 0.99.0 tag source from that site, and build it (itself not something I can do) how that would convince autogen.sh that a package of the name gstreamer-sharp-1.0 is installed.

Any help here appreciated as I'm not finding solutions anywhere to this, and I'm really trying my hardest to simply succeed in following this:

http://banshee.fm/contribute/write-extensions/

And am failing on issues like this!

Re: Trouble Building Banshee on Linux Mint

bwechner
Well I found my way to a tarball at:

http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/src/gstreamer-sharp/

Thanks to:

http://banshee-media-player.2283330.n4.nabble.com/Getting-banshee-to-compile-td4652054.html

Downloaded the tarball, unpacked it then:

./autogen.sh
sudo make
sudo make install

and it seems I've not progressed to:

configure: error: Package requirements (dbus-sharp-glib-2.0 >= 0.6) were not met:

No package 'dbus-sharp-glib-2.0' found

onto the next issue.

Am learning on the fly, but for inclusiveness would suggest in general that gurus pointing to something like this include the (what may seem obvious to a guru) steps to completion. What still can't do is find a tarball at the URL you posted (and am awaiting a doh! moment but it hasn't come yet) and I got the first two lines "./autogen.sh && sudo make" from the README, but had to poke around and guess at "make install" before I got any further.

Thanks for the tips though, not complaining, just feeding back.