Speed up Banshee for old PCs?

linuxgeoff
Banshee 0.99 is too slow to use on the old PC that I use as a soundbridge, like 60+ secs between track playback.  I use 0.13 and it's acceptable. (set up is xubuntu on a 300Mhz, 128MB laptop).  0.99 looks really great and I'd like to use it, but as it is it won't work for me.

At a guess, I'd say the problem appears to be massive amounts of disk / memory swapping while it searches for the next track - almost as if its stepping through a database stored on disc

On the Ubuntu forums, I posted this issue a few weeks ago and was << I think there are plans ahead to reduce the CPU and memory footprint of Banshee when it approaches 1.0. Right now we're still in Beta 1.>> (I've since tried 99.2)

Questions:  Is this a known issue?  Will it be fixed?  Is there anything I can do to make 0.99 useable?

Thanks,  Geoff

Re: Speed up Banshee for old PCs?

Gabriel Burt
2008/5/29 Geoff <[hidden email]>:

> Banshee 0.99 is too slow to use on the old PC that I use as a soundbridge,
> like 60+ secs between track playback.  I use 0.13 and it's acceptable. (set
> up is xubuntu on a 300Mhz, 128MB laptop).  0.99 looks really great and I'd
> like to use it, but as it is it won't work for me.
>
> At a guess, I'd say the problem appears to be massive amounts of disk /
> memory swapping while it searches for the next track - almost as if its
> stepping through a database stored on disc
>
> On the Ubuntu forums, I posted this issue a few weeks ago and was << I think
> there are plans ahead to reduce the CPU and memory footprint of Banshee when
> it approaches 1.0. Right now we're still in Beta 1.>> (I've since tried
> 99.2)
>
> Questions:  Is this a known issue?  Will it be fixed?  Is there anything I
> can do to make 0.99 useable?

Why did you post twice?  You said you tried Beta 2 and still have this issue?

Gabriel

Re: Speed up Banshee for old PCs?

Chow Loong Jin
Gabriel Burt wrote:

> 2008/5/29 Geoff <[hidden email]>:
>> Banshee 0.99 is too slow to use on the old PC that I use as a soundbridge,
>> like 60+ secs between track playback.  I use 0.13 and it's acceptable. (set
>> up is xubuntu on a 300Mhz, 128MB laptop).  0.99 looks really great and I'd
>> like to use it, but as it is it won't work for me.
>>
>> At a guess, I'd say the problem appears to be massive amounts of disk /
>> memory swapping while it searches for the next track - almost as if its
>> stepping through a database stored on disc
>>
>> On the Ubuntu forums, I posted this issue a few weeks ago and was << I think
>> there are plans ahead to reduce the CPU and memory footprint of Banshee when
>> it approaches 1.0. Right now we're still in Beta 1.>> (I've since tried
>> 99.2)
>>
>> Questions:  Is this a known issue?  Will it be fixed?  Is there anything I
>> can do to make 0.99 useable?
>
> Why did you post twice?  You said you tried Beta 2 and still have this issue?
>
> Gabriel
Actually I do notice a rather large CPU spike when changing between
songs. If I flip through multiple songs (click next repeatedly, maybe 5
times in a row) Banshee will hang for an extended period of time before
working again. If that could be fixed I would be very thankful.

Then there's also the searching which spikes the CPU up until I'm done
typing my query. I think there should be a slight timer before you start
searching, so that you don't keep beginning the search before the search
string has been completely typed.

--
Hyperair

Re: Speed up Banshee for old PCs?

Christian Hergert
Any chance you guys can get some numbers on the possible paging
issues? If you could run banshee-1 without too many other apps running
and get a sample with sysstat im sure that'd help out.

# sample every 2 seconds for 60 seconds
$ sar -B 2 60

The page fault numbers I'm sure will be interesting with only 128MB.

-- Christian

Christian Hergert wrote:

> Any chance you guys can get some numbers on the possible paging
> issues? If you could run banshee-1 without too many other apps running
> and get a sample with sysstat im sure that'd help out.
>
> # sample every 2 seconds for 60 seconds
> $ sar -B 2 60
>
> The page fault numbers I'm sure will be interesting with only 128MB.
>
> -- Christian

I highly doubt there's any issue regarding paging on my system. My
swap's at 0% most of the time. Total RAM is 1280MB.

--
Hyperair

Re: Speed up Banshee for old PCs?

Christian Hergert
Right, that was meant for Geoff who is running on 300mhz + 128MB. ;-)

-- Christian