Sort Browser by Artists.. Am I Stupid??

mx4789
I am beating my head against the wall. I know this shouldn't be *this* hard, but I want my albums to show up sorted by artists and nothing helps (using browser view).  I want all of my REM albums to be under "R" (for REM). Is that asking too much? I've googled and searched this forum and something that seems so obvious to me seems to be persona non grata as far as I can tell. I'm including a screen shot just in case there is any confusion to what I'm asking.  Note at the top where "Morissey" is listed first since the album title is "!the best of!" and is followed by Matthew Sweet because the album title is "100% Fun" - these should be under the "M's"... What am I missing? BTW, they are under my Music folders as "Morrisey" and "Matthew Sweet" directories. I am ready to scream. This isn't hard..

Re: Sort Browser by Artists.. Am I Stupid??

steve01351

On 6/21/2015 8:12 PM, mx4789 wrote:

> I am beating my head against the wall. I know this shouldn't be *this* hard,
> but I want my albums to show up sorted by artists and nothing helps (using
> browser view).  I want all of my REM albums to be under "R" (for REM). Is
> that asking too much? I've googled and searched this forum and something
> that seems so obvious to me seems to be persona non grata as far as I can
> tell. I'm including a screen shot just in case there is any confusion to
> what I'm asking.  Note at the top where "Morissey" is listed first since the
> album title is "!the best of!" and is followed by Matthew Sweet because the
> album title is "100% Fun" - these should be under the "M's"... What am I
> missing? BTW, they are under my Music folders as "Morrisey" and "Matthew
> Sweet" directories. I am ready to scream. This isn't hard..
> <http://banshee-media-player.2283330.n4.nabble.com/file/n4652338/37.png>

You just have "MUSIC" highlighted on the left.  Highlight "ARTIST" and
the artists should be displayed.  Their albums should be listed
alphabetically.   I believe that's the default.  You could also use a
program to check the filetags on each song.  I haven't done that in
Linux, but MP3TAG does a great job in Windows.  And it's freeware.  And
despite its name, it sets/displays tags in just about every format.  I
don't think it does WAV, but it does do FLAC, ALAC, and OGG.  Etc.

I've personally gone back to Clementine.  I like the library display
MUCH better with Banshee, but I like Visualizations and could never get
them working with Banshee.  Supposedly it's a simple thing - you just
need the community extensions installed - but I could never find out
where to get them.

Re: Sort Browser by Artists.. Am I Stupid??

mx4789
Thanks for the quick reply, but the "artists" link on the left (under music) was a playlist I created in hopes of having some control over the sort order - to no avail. I am suspecting that it must be some kind of tag/xml, w.e. related issue (why does this have to be so complicated??) and not just a simple issue of clicking "view" -> "sort" type of thing, as it should be.

On 6/21/2015 9:04 PM, mx4789 wrote:

> Thanks for the quick reply, but the "artists" link on the left (under music)
> was a playlist I created in hopes of having some control over the sort order
> - to no avail. I am suspecting that it must be some kind of tag/xml, w.e.
> related issue (why does this have to be so complicated??) and not just a
> simple issue of clicking "view" -> "sort" type of thing, as it should be.

OK, I opened Banshee on my laptop (kubuntu) and took a screenshot and
then opened your screenshot beside it and took another screenshot.  My
Banshee has a column that yours just doesn't have. And that's the column
that displays the artists.  Maybe version?
I've got 2.6.2.  Could be though that's it's something as trivial as
just dragging the slider to the left of the album cover display to show
the artist list.  Good luck.

banshee-2.png (1M) Download Attachment

Re: Sort Browser by Artists.. Am I Stupid??

Joshua Rogers
On 23/06/15 00:10, Steve Wilson wrote:

> OK, I opened Banshee on my laptop (kubuntu) and took a screenshot and
> then opened your screenshot beside it and took another screenshot.  My
> Banshee has a column that yours just doesn't have. And that's the
> column that displays the artists.  Maybe version?
> I've got 2.6.2.  Could be though that's it's something as trivial as
> just dragging the slider to the left of the album cover display to
> show the artist list.  Good luck.
In the top tab: View -> Browse Content -> Show Artist Filter

Is that what you're talking about?

--
-- Joshua Rogers

Re: Sort Browser by Artists.. Am I Stupid??

chrisperro
Hello,
Building-on last responses, I also think that you are looking for the "artists" filter, suggesting you to make sure to select View > Browse content > Show album artists, in case you album artists differs from the songs artists (for compilations for instances).

You can sort your albums in your songs browser (not the covers art though) by adding this column (right click on the header and choose "album artist"), then clicking on it to sort songs by this attribute, ascending or descending.

Hope that helps!

Le 2015-06-22 10:27, Joshua Rogers a écrit :
On 23/06/15 00:10, Steve Wilson wrote:
OK, I opened Banshee on my laptop (kubuntu) and took a screenshot and
then opened your screenshot beside it and took another screenshot.  My
Banshee has a column that yours just doesn't have. And that's the
column that displays the artists.  Maybe version?
I've got 2.6.2.  Could be though that's it's something as trivial as
just dragging the slider to the left of the album cover display to
show the artist list.  Good luck.
In the top tab: View -> Browse Content -> Show Artist Filter

Is that what you're talking about?

Re: Sort Browser by Artists.. Am I Stupid??

mx4789
Thanks everyone for the input. I've come to the conclusion that sorting the *browser content* by artist is not possible. The "artists filter" does a wonderful job, but that display is simply a 'text-based listing' of albums and not a 'graphical display' (i.e. thumbnails). I really did not think having thumbnails sorted by artists was such a big deal and figured I must be doing something wrong, or missing something obvious. But alas, no. This is sad because I chose Banshee over Rhythmbox based on the fact that it had a better cover art browser. Meh. Now I'm off to stuff loads and loads of paper down the toilet. :)

[...]

http://banshee-media-player.2283330.n4.nabble.com/Sort-Browser-by-Artists-Am-I-Stupid-tp4652338p4652343.html

To unsubscribe from Sort Browser by Artists.. Am I Stupid??, click here.
NAML

Re: Sort Browser by Artists.. Am I Stupid??

steve01351
You know,  if you look at the screenshot of my Banshee that I sent,  you can see the icons you're talking about.   So it really does do it.  I don't know what setting you're missing, but it's there.