[Solved] iPod touch 2g not working well with Banshee

[Solved] iPod touch 2g not working well with Banshee

berniz95
This post was updated on .
Hi,
I'm trying to connect my iPod touch 2g MP3 player to Banshee. When my iPod is connected to my PC and I run Banshee, the iPod appears OK but the contents are not displayed. When I try to sync, I end up with the error message "The MP3 format is not managed by the device and no converter was found to convert it" (translation from french). My iPod works pretty well though, with iTunes under MacOS.
I'm running a distribution of Linux called Crunchbang, with Banshee release 2.4.1.
What am I doing wrong ? Can I "whitewash" Banshee trying with a lower layer (e.g. Gstreamer ?)
Sincerely yours

Re: iPod touch 2g not working well with Banshee

berniz95
I've solved my own problem by interpreting a recommendation in the FAQ :

"Apple frequently updates the database format the devices use by upgrading iTunes, so it's recommended to use Banshee exclusively to manage your iPod, or not at all."

Which means, in Banshee, go to Edition > Preferences, thumbnail Extensions, section "devices management" (translated from the french API) :

tick off all types of devices except Apple devices.

They are all ticked by default.

Re: iPod touch 2g not working well with Banshee

Samuel Gyger
Hello,
I think this FAQ entry means, it should only managed by banshee and not
by banshee and by Itunes. (Use only one software to manage the ipod).

If it works now, still nice.

Greetings,
Samuel

Re: iPod touch 2g not working well with Banshee

berniz95
Samuel Gyger wrote
Hello,
I think this FAQ entry means, it should only managed by banshee and not
by banshee and by Itunes. (Use only one software to manage the ipod).

If it works now, still nice.
Hello Samuel,
No matter how I found that solution, it's a bit odd anyway. This peculiar behaviour of Banshee is not rational at all !
If I tell it to manage all kinds of devices, it doesn't do Apple. If I tell it to manage only Apple, it does.
What happened to the old "Who can do more can do less" ?
Don't you think that, if a developer spent some time trying to understand the reason why Banshee behaves that way, maybe he could find a bug hidden somewhere ?