Smart Playlist

Jonnie
I have a smart playlist that is limmited to 30 songs. Some of the songs stay on the list permanently, while others are moved out as soon as they are played and new ones moved in. I play it in shuffle mode (by song). The idea is that the permanent songs should be played more than once during a session, every day, while the others should be played once and then requed for a later date. It seems however that the permanent songs are each played only once per session, and for the rest of the day Banshee only plays the other songs in random order. Is there any way that I can make the permanent songs on my list play more than once per session?

Re: Smart Playlist

chrisperro
Hello Jonnie,
Maybe you have a criteria in your smart playlist definition that causes this moving out of songs, such as "last played date is not today".

Can you provide your smart playlist definition (criteria)?

Also, what Banshee and OS version are you using?

Le 2015-11-23 09:21, Jonnie a écrit :
I have a smart playlist that is limmited to 30 songs. Some of the songs stay
on the list permanently, while others are moved out as soon as they are
played and new ones moved in. I play it in shuffle mode (by song). The idea
is that the permanent songs should be played more than once during a
session, every day, while the others should be played once and then requed
for a later date. It seems however that the permanent songs are each played
only once per session, and for the rest of the day Banshee only plays the
other songs in random order. Is there any way that I can make the permanent
songs on my list play more than once per session?

Re: Smart Playlist

Jonnie
//
Hello Jonnie,
Maybe you have a criteria in your smart playlist definition that causes this moving out of songs, such as "last played date is not today".

Can you provide your smart playlist definition (criteria)?

Also, what Banshee and OS version are you using?
//

Hi Chrisperro

I am using Banshee 2.6.2 on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.

My playlist criteria is simply all the songs on my library, limmited to 30 items selected by least often played. I then deliberately set the playcount for the six permanent songs to zero on a regular basis to prevent them from moving out of the playlist. And they do stay on the playlist, but instead of being played regularly during a session, they are each played only one time until I restart the playlist again.

Re: Smart Playlist

chrisperro
Hi Jonnie,
I just tested (Banshee 2.6.2 on Ubuntu 15.10) and Banshee effectively remembers played or skipped songs of a playlist in a session to play them not more than once. If you want them to play again, then you have to restart the playlist again as you are actually doing.

If you do not want to manually reset their play count to prevent them from moving out of your smart playlist, then I suggest that you change your playlist definition to include 2 other playlists, becoming Playlist number 3, as described:
  1. Playlist: "Permanent songs": Contains your "permanent" songs
  2. Smart playlist: "Low play count": 30 songs having the lowest play count
  3. Smart playlist: "Hybrid": songs from the Playlist 1 ("Permanent" songs) or Playlist 2 ("Low play count")
Because playlists updates after each song played, your "Hybrid" will always contain the 30 songs having the lowest play count, plus your "permanent" songs.

Best regards,
Christian

Le 2015-11-24 00:51, Jonnie a écrit :
//
Hello Jonnie,
Maybe you have a criteria in your smart playlist definition that causes this
moving out of songs, such as "last played date is not today".

Can you provide your smart playlist definition (criteria)?

Also, what Banshee and OS version are you using?
//

Hi Chrisperro

I am using Banshee 2.6.2 on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.

My playlist criteria is simply all the songs on my library, limmited to 30
items selected by least often played. I then deliberately set the playcount
for the six permanent songs to zero on a regular basis to prevent them from
moving out of the playlist. And they do stay on the playlist, but instead of
being played regularly during a session, they are each played only one time
until I restart the playlist again.

Re: Smart Playlist

Jonnie
Thank you Christian, I will do that.

Re: Smart Playlist

chrisperro
Hello again Jonnie,
I realize that if you enable Play > Repeat > Repeat all or switch to
this setting with the button at the lower right corner, a playlist
automatically restart after all songs of a list have been played or skipped.

However, even in random mode, all songs get played in the same order at
each iteration of the playlist... Someone knowing the code could confirm
this behavior in Banshee's DNA.

I tested it on a small playlist containing 3 songs, in random mode.

Regards,
Christian