Slow startup on Ubuntu 15.04

mellobob
I just upgraded my distro to 15.04 and the startup for Banshee is well over 1 minute. Was working just fine before the upgrade from 14.10.

Any ideas as to what's up?

--
**** Listen to my FREE CD at http://www.mellowood.ca/music/cedars ****
EMAIL: [hidden email]

Re: Slow startup on Ubuntu 15.04

IBBoard
Have you tried running it from the command-line? Run it as "banshee
--debug" and it should give a load of logging that will show what it is
doing. It might give an indication of where it is taking its time.

On 24/04/15 23:39, Bob van der Poel wrote:

> I just upgraded my distro to 15.04 and the startup for Banshee is well
> over 1 minute. Was working just fine before the upgrade from 14.10.
>
> Any ideas as to what's up?
>
> --
> **** Listen to my FREE CD at http://www.mellowood.ca/music/cedars ****
> Bob van der Poel ** Wynndel, British Columbia, CANADA **
> EMAIL: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
> WWW:   http://www.mellowood.ca

Re: Slow startup on Ubuntu 15.04

Shawn K. Quinn
On Sat, 2015-04-25 at 09:10 +0100, IBBoard wrote:
> On 24/04/15 23:39, Bob van der Poel wrote:
> > I just upgraded my distro to 15.04 and the startup for Banshee is
> well
> > over 1 minute. Was working just fine before the upgrade from 14.10.
> >
> > Any ideas as to what's up?

> Have you tried running it from the command-line? Run it as "banshee
> --debug" and it should give a load of logging that will show what it
> is doing. It might give an indication of where it is taking its time.

You also might want to try using strace to see if something is being
particularly greedy or inefficient.

--
Shawn K. Quinn <[hidden email]>

Re: Slow startup on Ubuntu 15.04

chrisperro
Hello!
I have the exact same problem and I find it very sad because I love Banshee. So far it seems to be a SQlite3 regression problem; one or many database queries in Banshee's code would have to be rewritten.

I will invest some time to try to solve this and follow-up closely this thread. The big problem I see ahead is that I think I or we will have to compile Banshee on Ubuntu 15.04... and personally this didn't work for the last 2 years Ubuntu distro... I would have to learn more how to achieve it. I might be wrong, but in my last compiling attempt, it fails due to deprecated code errors with Hyena, among others. Any help is welcome here!

Best,
Christian

Le 2015-04-25 04:38, Shawn K. Quinn a écrit :
On Sat, 2015-04-25 at 09:10 +0100, IBBoard wrote:
On 24/04/15 23:39, Bob van der Poel wrote:
I just upgraded my distro to 15.04 and the startup for Banshee is
well
over 1 minute. Was working just fine before the upgrade from 14.10.

Any ideas as to what's up?

Have you tried running it from the command-line? Run it as "banshee
--debug" and it should give a load of logging that will show what it
is doing. It might give an indication of where it is taking its time.

You also might want to try using strace to see if something is being
particularly greedy or inefficient.

Re: Slow startup on Ubuntu 15.04

Nick Dokos-2
Bob van der Poel <[hidden email]> writes:

> I just upgraded my distro to 15.04 and the startup for Banshee is well over 1 minute. Was working just fine before the upgrade from 14.10.
>
> Any ideas as to what's up?

There was an update to sqlite that has disabled an unsafe optimization
in certain cases. Unfortunately, banshee runs into these cases
headlong. I run Fedora 20 and that bit me on an update.

There was a report about it (by me, among others) on this ML
back in October 2014. See the thread starting at

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnome.mono.banshee/14068

and particularly Bertrand Lorentz's reply

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnome.mono.banshee/14068/focus=14103

which contains a pointer to the sqlite bug report.

I was hoping that either sqlite would come out with an update that
speeded up these queries (there was a hope expressed, but not a promise, that
that would happen, in the above mentioned bug report); or alternatively,
that banshee would modify its queries along the lines suggested in the
bug report. Neither has happened yet AFAIK.

I wanted to build latest banshee just to keep track of this problem, but
I ran into dependency hell and then out of time.

If anybody knows any more, please post: I've fallen back into using
Rhythmbox for the past couple of months and it's a hard fall :-)

--
Nick

On 25/04/15 09:38, Shawn K. Quinn wrote:

> On Sat, 2015-04-25 at 09:10 +0100, IBBoard wrote:
>> On 24/04/15 23:39, Bob van der Poel wrote:
>>> I just upgraded my distro to 15.04 and the startup for Banshee is
>> well
>>> over 1 minute. Was working just fine before the upgrade from 14.10.
>>>
>>> Any ideas as to what's up?
>
>> Have you tried running it from the command-line? Run it as "banshee
>> --debug" and it should give a load of logging that will show what it
>> is doing. It might give an indication of where it is taking its time.
>>
> You also might want to try using strace to see if something is being
> particularly greedy or inefficient.

Try --debug first. It'll give you sensible output based on what the
Banshee devs thought was worth recording as a first debug step.

I'd suggest that you only go to strace as a last resort, if --debug (and
possibly --debug-sql) doesn't work. It is far deeper and more complicated.

Re: Slow startup on Ubuntu 15.04

mellobob
I'll not bother to post debug info at this time (unless someone really needs it) since the problem appears to be known. But, is this wonderful program not being developed or maintained anymore ... seems that the problem has been identified for some time (?) now.

On Sat, Apr 25, 2015 at 1:10 AM, IBBoard <[hidden email]> wrote:
Have you tried running it from the command-line? Run it as "banshee
--debug" and it should give a load of logging that will show what it is
doing. It might give an indication of where it is taking its time.

On 24/04/15 23:39, Bob van der Poel wrote:
> I just upgraded my distro to 15.04 and the startup for Banshee is well
> over 1 minute. Was working just fine before the upgrade from 14.10.
>
> Any ideas as to what's up?
>
> --
> **** Listen to my FREE CD at http://www.mellowood.ca/music/cedars ****
> Bob van der Poel ** Wynndel, British Columbia, CANADA **
> EMAIL: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
> WWW:   http://www.mellowood.ca

**** Listen to my FREE CD at http://www.mellowood.ca/music/cedars ****
EMAIL: [hidden email]
WWW:   http://www.mellowood.ca

Re: Slow startup on Ubuntu 15.04

Chow Loong Jin-2
On Sat, Apr 25, 2015 at 10:52:30AM -0700, Bob van der Poel wrote:
> I'll not bother to post debug info at this time (unless someone really
> needs it) since the problem appears to be known. But, is this wonderful
> program not being developed or maintained anymore ... seems that the
> problem has been identified for some time (?) now.

There are lots of possible bugs that can lead to slow startup, and debug logs
are required to tell if they're the same or not.

--
Kind regards,
Loong Jin

On Sat, Apr 25, 2015 at 04:26:59PM +0100, IBBoard wrote:

> On 25/04/15 09:38, Shawn K. Quinn wrote:
> >> well

> >> Have you tried running it from the command-line? Run it as "banshee
> >> --debug" and it should give a load of logging that will show what it
> >> is doing. It might give an indication of where it is taking its time.
> >>
> > You also might want to try using strace to see if something is being
> > particularly greedy or inefficient.
> >

> Try --debug first. It'll give you sensible output based on what the
> Banshee devs thought was worth recording as a first debug step.
>
> I'd suggest that you only go to strace as a last resort, if --debug (and
> possibly --debug-sql) doesn't work. It is far deeper and more complicated.
Possibly related is
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/banshee/+bug/1447956.

Looks like a couple of sqlite queries are taking 30s each.

--
Kind regards,
Loong Jin

Nick Dokos <[hidden email]> writes:

> Bob van der Poel <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> I just upgraded my distro to 15.04 and the startup for Banshee is
>> well over 1 minute. Was working just fine before the upgrade from
>> 14.10.
>>
>> Any ideas as to what's up?
>>

> There was an update to sqlite that has disabled an unsafe optimization
> in certain cases. Unfortunately, banshee runs into these cases
> headlong. I run Fedora 20 and that bit me on an update.
>
> There was a report about it (by me, among others) on this ML
> back in October 2014. See the thread starting at
>
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnome.mono.banshee/14068
>
> and particularly Bertrand Lorentz's reply
>
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnome.mono.banshee/14068/focus=14103
>
> which contains a pointer to the sqlite bug report.
>
> I was hoping that either sqlite would come out with an update that
> speeded up these queries (there was a hope expressed, but not a promise, that
> that would happen, in the above mentioned bug report); or alternatively,
> that banshee would modify its queries along the lines suggested in the
> bug report. Neither has happened yet AFAIK.
>
> I wanted to build latest banshee just to keep track of this problem, but
> I ran into dependency hell and then out of time.
>
> If anybody knows any more, please post: I've fallen back into using
> Rhythmbox for the past couple of months and it's a hard fall :-)

I updated my desktop to Fedora 21 yesterday and I'm thrilled to report
that the problem is gone. Rhythmbox is back in its box :-)

Version info:

$ banshee --version
Banshee 2.6.2 (2.6.2) http://banshee.fm
Copyright 2005-2015 Novell, Inc. and Contributors.
$ sqlite3
SQLite version 3.8.9 2015-04-08 12:16:33

Thanks,
Nick

Re: Slow startup on Ubuntu 15.04

chrisperro
Hi Nick,
Thanks for this info! I tried Banshee 2.6.2 (from Ubuntu 15.04 repository) with SQLite 3.8.10.1 (latest) but the problem was still there! Now I just downgraded my version 3.8.6 and Banshee is usable again! (This ensures that a party will be memorable next week, thanks to my "Party" smart playlist! :)) I will soon test with 3.8.9, as you report is working.

Besides, I am trying to get Banshee master working. This version is supposed to fix permanently the SQlite regression problem since many SQL have been rewritten to comply with latest SQLite standards. I can now compile it without errors it but when it launches, all text elements in the left menu are not displaying, that is to say their title is empty, and the tracks plays for a few seconds, then Banshee crashes... I will write in another post to discuss this.

Everyone have a nice week-end!
--
Christian Perreault

Le 2015-05-14 13:34, Nick Dokos a écrit :
[...]

Roderich Schupp-2

On Fri, May 15, 2015 at 8:39 PM, Christian Perreault <[hidden email]> wrote:
I can now compile it without errors it but when it launches, all text elements in the left menu are not displaying, that is to say their title is empty,

though I still don't understand why the second half of it is necessary.

Cheers, Roderich

Banshee 2.9 crashes when playing a song (on Ubuntu 15.04)

chrisperro
Hi!
Thanks Roderich for this patch, it effectively fixes the invisible side-panel content problem!

Now, the bug I encounter is that Banshee crashes when starting to play a song. It doesn't play for more than 5-10 seconds. I attach the debug log here!

I have both libgstreamer1.0-0 (1.4.5) and libgstreamer0.10-0 (0.10.36) installed. I have gtk-sharp master and gstreamer master installed (cloned from their Git repo).

Does anyone knows what's problematic here?

As soon as I have a working compiled banshee 2.9, I'll dive into the code to (try to) implement new features!

Thanks in advance,
Christian

Le 2015-05-17 10:39, Roderich Schupp a écrit :

On Fri, May 15, 2015 at 8:39 PM, Christian Perreault <[hidden email]> wrote:
I can now compile it without errors it but when it launches, all text elements in the left menu are not displaying, that is to say their title is empty,

though I still don't understand why the second half of it is necessary.

Cheers, Roderich

2015-05-15-banshee-master-crash-log.txt (18K) Download Attachment