Simple Magnatune Addin

Max Battcher
Greetings!

I'm a C# developer and as a quick diversion/learning experience I
hacked together a very simple Magnatune "radio" addin, as a fan of
both Banshee and Magnatune (the "not evil" internet-based music
label).  This addin provides a simple "branded" source that lists the
various genres at Magnatune and initiates a stream.  It also includes
the key feature that it is "Magnatune membership aware" and it has the
code to use the nicer ad-less versions of streams when a membership
login is provided.  (Which doesn't work yet, see below.)  This has
been a very quick hack (spare time over 2-days with a lot of time
spent hunting for answers in code and in the chat room) for me, and
coming in to it I didn't have much experience with things like Gtk#.
(Much of this has been built from examining and borrowing code from
the Podcasting and Last.fm addins.)

Here's a screenshot of how it looks:

http://ox.slug.louisville.edu/~mjbatt01/banshee_addin.png

Right now anyone interested in trying it can grab it in source form
(MonoDevelop solution):

darcs get http://repos.worldmaker.net/magnatune/main/ magnatune

My Patch/Issue tracker is at http://magnatune.code.worldmaker.net/

I can create a Release build of the .dll shortly if anyone just wants
a binary to play with.

I learned several things about Banshee Streaming in the course of this:

* There seems to be no way to seek through a stream currently.  (I'm
assuming a Stream Playlist Queue is in the works...?)
* Banshee refuses to load stream playlists with URIs of the form
http://user:pass@server/play.m3u, which means that this addin's
membership awareness is currently for naught since Banshee won't
actually play member streams

This addin is only the first phase in a "full" Magnatune addin.  The
next step would be to add in a full database-backed source (pulling
from the XML feed from Magnatune) to do a full catalog browser of
Magnatune with support for album browsing/searching and "Buy Album"
and "Download Album" (for Magnatune "Download Members") actions.
Right now I'm not planning to build such a thing myself, but this
addin should provide a reasonable stepping stone to someone interested
in doing that.  On the other hand, I might pick up the challenge the
next chance I get something of a "hack week".

Anyway, I'd appreciate any feedback or patches that y'all might have.

--Max Battcher--
http://www.worldmaker.net/

Re: Simple Magnatune Addin

infernux-2

> I'm a C# developer and as a quick diversion/learning experience I
> hacked together a very simple Magnatune "radio" addin, as a fan of
> both Banshee and Magnatune (the "not evil" internet-based music
> label).

Cool! I compiled the code from darcs and it seems to work well. Would be nice to see a "full" magnatune pugin at some point.

Btw, why does banshee not pick up extension .dlls from .config/banshee-1/extensions/?

Cheers

Re: Simple Magnatune Addin

Chow Loong Jin
[hidden email] wrote:

>> I'm a C# developer and as a quick diversion/learning experience I
>> hacked together a very simple Magnatune "radio" addin, as a fan of
>> both Banshee and Magnatune (the "not evil" internet-based music
>> label).
>
> Cool! I compiled the code from darcs and it seems to work well. Would be nice to see a "full" magnatune pugin at some point.
>
> Btw, why does banshee not pick up extension .dlls from .config/banshee-1/extensions/?
>
> Cheers
Because that is the wrong directory. The correct one is
~/.config/banshee-1/addins

--
Hyperair

Re: Simple Magnatune Addin

Sandy Armstrong
On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 5:27 PM, Max Battcher <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> I'm a C# developer and as a quick diversion/learning experience I
> hacked together a very simple Magnatune "radio" addin, as a fan of

Exciting!

> Right now anyone interested in trying it can grab it in source form
> (MonoDevelop solution):
>
> darcs get http://repos.worldmaker.net/magnatune/main/ magnatune

Grabbing now, but just FYI, a lot of distros don't package darcs by
default so it can be kind of hard for people to grab this.

> My Patch/Issue tracker is at http://magnatune.code.worldmaker.net/
>
> I can create a Release build of the .dll shortly if anyone just wants
> a binary to play with.

Given the above, I'm sure that would be much appreciated! :-)

Being able to preview tracks, buy albums, etc, all through Banshee
would just be awesome.  With any luck, somebody with free time will
make it happen.

Thanks,
Sandy

Re: Simple Magnatune Addin

Stephen Holmes
On Fri, 2008-06-13 at 23:32 +0800, Hyperair wrote:

> [hidden email] wrote:
> >> I'm a C# developer and as a quick diversion/learning experience I
> >> hacked together a very simple Magnatune "radio" addin, as a fan of
> >> both Banshee and Magnatune (the "not evil" internet-based music
> >> label).
> >
> > Cool! I compiled the code from darcs and it seems to work well. Would be nice to see a "full" magnatune pugin at some point.
> >
> > Btw, why does banshee not pick up extension .dlls from .config/banshee-1/extensions/?
> >

> Because that is the wrong directory. The correct one is
> ~/.config/banshee-1/addins

Hmm, is calling it 'extensions' in the GUI and 'addins' in the
filesystem a little erroneous anyway?

Re: Simple Magnatune Addin

Michael Hutchinson
On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 12:42 PM, Stephen Holmes <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> > Cool! I compiled the code from darcs and it seems to work well. Would be nice to see a "full" magnatune pugin at some point.
>> >
>> > Btw, why does banshee not pick up extension .dlls from .config/banshee-1/extensions/?
>> >

>> Because that is the wrong directory. The correct one is
>> ~/.config/banshee-1/addins
>>

> Hmm, is calling it 'extensions' in the GUI and 'addins' in the
> filesystem a little erroneous anyway?

AFAIK the addins are managed on disc by *Mono.Addins*. Banshee decided
to call the addins "Extensions" in the UI (see one of Aaron's blog
posts for the reasons why) but internally they're still called addins.

--
Michael Hutchinson
http://mjhutchinson.com

Re: Simple Magnatune Addin

Stephen Holmes
On Fri, 2008-06-13 at 12:45 -0400, Michael Hutchinson wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 12:42 PM, Stephen Holmes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >> Because that is the wrong directory. The correct one is
> >> ~/.config/banshee-1/addins
> >>

> > Hmm, is calling it 'extensions' in the GUI and 'addins' in the
> > filesystem a little erroneous anyway?
>
> AFAIK the addins are managed on disc by *Mono.Addins*. Banshee decided
> to call the addins "Extensions" in the UI (see one of Aaron's blog
> posts for the reasons why) but internally they're still called addins.

Just being pedantic because most linux folks play in the command line
sandbox as much as the gui.  I'll take a look see at Aaron's blog :-)

Re: Simple Magnatune Addin

dysonsphere
Hi thanks for all your work on a great application.

Magnatune addin not working for me, though.

I had no such directory: ~/.config/banshee-1/addins, so I created one.
But no Magnatune when I open Banshee.  I checked the extensions in
preferences and it is not there.  I tried putting the dll
in /usr/lib/banshee-1/Extensions, and still not working.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ken

On Fri, 2008-06-13 at 23:32 +0800, Hyperair wrote:

> [hidden email] wrote:
> >> I'm a C# developer and as a quick diversion/learning experience I
> >> hacked together a very simple Magnatune "radio" addin, as a fan of
> >> both Banshee and Magnatune (the "not evil" internet-based music
> >> label).
> >
> > Cool! I compiled the code from darcs and it seems to work well. Would be nice to see a "full" magnatune pugin at some point.
> >
> > Btw, why does banshee not pick up extension .dlls from .config/banshee-1/extensions/?
> >
> > Cheers
>
> Because that is the wrong directory. The correct one is
> ~/.config/banshee-1/addins

Kenneth S Dyson PhD. (Candidate)
Space Generation Advisory Council
Canadian Point of Contact
58 Dufferin St.
Guelph, Ontario, Canada
N1H 4A1

Website: http://www.undergrad.ahs.uwaterloo.ca/~ksdyson/home.htm
Blog:  http://dysonsphere.wordpress.com

Re: Simple Magnatune Addin

Max Battcher
Kenneth Stephen Dyson wrote:

> Hi thanks for all your work on a great application.
>
> Magnatune addin not working for me, though.
>
> I had no such directory: ~/.config/banshee-1/addins, so I created one.
> But no Magnatune when I open Banshee.  I checked the extensions in
> preferences and it is not there.  I tried putting the dll
> in /usr/lib/banshee-1/Extensions, and still not working.
>
> Any suggestions?

With a Debug build I noticed that to get the addin to appear I needed to
copy/link both of the output files the .dll and the .m?? (.mdp?), which
I believe contains debug symbols.

See if that works.

--Max