[SOLVED] Banshee having trouble connecting to the Internet

[SOLVED] Banshee having trouble connecting to the Internet

HosAdeeb
This post was updated on .
Hi there,
I'm using Banshee 2.6.2 as supplied from the Mageia 5.1 distro repositories.

A couple of weeks ago, Banshee started having trouble connecting to the Internet.  So, when I try to check on my Podcast subscriptions, most of the time they cannot be accessed, but sometimes they are indeed accessed and downloaded, but with no particular or clear pattern, except that I noticed that sometimes a regular connection could be established late at night, especially within a window of an hour, roughly between 1 a.m. and 2 a.m., for no obvious reason.  The same applies, by the way, to anything else within Banshee: Internet Radio, Jamendo, ... etc.

The same podcasts can be readily accessed, any time of the day, by other pieces of software, like Rhythmbox, for example.

I'm not using any proxy, nor is there anyway of controlling how Banshee is connecting to the Internet.

I'd very much appreciate if you could guide me where to look for the cause of this confusing problem.

A million thanks in advance.

Hosam Adeeb Nashed

Re: Banshee having trouble connecting to the Internet

Banshee Media Player mailing list
Hi Hosam,

Have you tried running Banshee from the console with the --debug switch?

Try that first and if the reason isn't apparent it might be worth
checking out the source and running it with a debugger attached.

Yours,
Nicholas.

On 27 April 2017 at 06:52, HosAdeeb <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi there,
> I'm using Banshee 2.6.2 as supplied from the Mageia 5.1 distro repositories.
>
> A couple of weeks ago, Banshee started having trouble connecting to the
> Internet.  So, when I try to check on my Podcast subscriptions, most of the
> time they cannot be accessed, but sometimes they are indeed accessed and
> downloaded, but with no particular or clear pattern.
>
> The same podcasts can be accessed by other pieces of software, like
> Rhythmbox, for example.
>
> I'm not using any proxy, nor is there anyway of controlling how Banshee is
> connecting to the Internet.
>
> I'd very much appreciate if you could guide me where to look for the cause
> of the trouble.
>
> A million thanks in advance.
>
> Hosam Adeeb Nashed

Registered Linux User #392373

Re: Banshee having trouble connecting to the Internet

HosAdeeb
I did try what you suggested, but without the --debug, and I found out the output is identical to the log of errors that Banshee generates.  But, to tell you the truth, the culprit isn't all that clear to me.  Besides, since my installation comes from the Mageia repository, not compiled from source, your next suggestion is rather hard to achieve...

And then I did try the --debug option, and I noticed the programme is trying to connect through a proxy that isn't working any more!!!  Thing is, neither the system connects through a proxy, nor does Banshee has an option to adjust the way it connects to the Net!!!

Other than that, should I copy and paste the error log in a message?  I cannot find a straight forward way of attaching a file.

Thanks for your response.

Hosam Adeeb Nashed

Re: Banshee having trouble connecting to the Internet

HosAdeeb
Using the --debug option, I had noticed that the programme is trying to connect through a proxy that I do not use any more. Strangely enough, GNOME control panel states that I am NOT connected to any proxy!  I had to use _both_ dconf editor and gconf-editor to manually remove the offending setting.  And it worked!

Thanks for directing my attention to the source of the trouble.

Hosam Adeeb Nashed