Reverse order in Year filter

GaryMartyn
Quick question / suggestion.

I don't believe it is currently possible, but it would be immensely useful if the 'year' filter could be sorted in descending instead/as well as ascending order.   I would imagine that most people (me included) are far more likely to want to find a recent song than an old one.  So whilst I do occasionally play the one track I have from 1963, I am far more likely to want to play one of the 150 tracks I have from 2015, so having the most recent at the top of the filter list rather than the bottom would be awesome.

Please excuse me if this is already possible as I can't find any way to reverse the order of the filter list, but if it can already be done I'd be most grateful if someone would enlighten me as to how to do it.

Re: Reverse order in Year filter

Jeffery Small
GaryMartyn <[hidden email]> writes:

>Quick question / suggestion.

>I don't believe it is currently possible, but it would be immensely useful
>if the 'year' filter could be sorted in descending instead/as well as
>ascending order.

In Banshee 2.6.2, just click on the column heading to reverse the sort just
as you can do with any other of the columns.

Jeff

Re: Reverse order in Year filter

GaryMartyn
Jeff,

Thanks for the tip, I think you are referring to the column headers in the track list (highlighted in Blue in attacked image).  In which case yes I absolutely see what you are saying, if I add the 'year' column and ensure that the filters for year/genre/artist are all set to all then I can then sort all tracks by year, and it does default to grouping them by album within year in a list.

My suggestion was really to do with the 'Year Filter' (Highlighted in Red in the attached image) accessed by enabling it from the 'View' menu.  This along with the genre and artist filters allows you to filter the graphical album view (highlighted in green in the attached image).  This view makes it possible to see 40+ albums as per the filters, where as the track list even sorted by year really only makes it possible to see 3 or 4 albums at a time on the screen, if you maximise the track list.

If there was a way to reverse the numerical order of the years in the years filter then it would be very easy to quickly access dozens of recent albums rather than tracks.  I still use the year filter all the time, but I have to scroll to the bottom of the filter list almost every time I access banshee as I generally play more modern albums.

An alternative would be to be able to sort the graphical album list by year in decending order so that the most recent ones where first, but I can no see any way to sort the graphical album grid other than it's default alphabetical order.

Hope I've not completely missed your point here, please do let me know if you feel I have.

Re: Reverse order in Year filter

chrisperro
Hello,
I think that Gary was talking about the years in the years filter view and not the year column of the songs list, that is to say this part of the UI (French screenshot):

If so, that's something that I would like to be able to do - choose ascendant or descendant year values - and that I am willing to work on, but so far I was not able to compile Banshee on Ubuntu 15.10, thus I cannot delve into code development yet. I sent an email about this asking for help last April 8 if anyone can help me (thanks in advance).

Best regards,
Christian