Rebuild Ipod Database . . . HOW?

Benjamin Cathey-2
When I plug in my son's IPOD it tells me it is unable to read but that
Banshee can "rebuild the database . . . " however there is nothing to
click on or select and I don't see the option anywhere.

I have been googling for hours with no luck.

I don't want to have to use rythmbox (the only program that reads it
right now) - as he is used to banshee.

PLEASE HELP - it seems that if the program would suggest that it can
Rebuild the Database, that there would be an option to do so.

HELP

Thanks

Benjamin

Re: Rebuild Ipod Database . . . HOW?

Gabriel Burt
On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 10:55 AM, Benjamin Cathey
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> When I plug in my son's IPOD it tells me it is unable to read but that
> Banshee can "rebuild the database . . . " however there is nothing to
> click on or select and I don't see the option anywhere.

There should be a button or link/text named "Rebuild iPod Database...".

Gabriel

Re: Rebuild Ipod Database . . . HOW?

Piotr Zurek
On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 8:44 AM, Gabriel Burt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 10:55 AM, Benjamin Cathey
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> When I plug in my son's IPOD it tells me it is unable to read but that
>> Banshee can "rebuild the database . . . " however there is nothing to
>> click on or select and I don't see the option anywhere.
>
> There should be a button or link/text named "Rebuild iPod Database...".

For me, that simply crashes Banshee completely with no error messages.

Piotr

Re: Rebuild Ipod Database . . . HOW?

Brandon Perry-2
Start it with the --debug argument, that should give you some info.

2008/6/2 Brandon Perry <[hidden email]>:
> Start it with the --debug argument, that should give you some info.

Funny thing... when I did that it has successfully rebuilt the database.
I guess there's not much chance it's going to crash again unless
iTunes changes the database.

Piotr

Gabriel Burt wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 10:55 AM, Benjamin Cathey
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> When I plug in my son's IPOD it tells me it is unable to read but that
>> Banshee can "rebuild the database . . . " however there is nothing to
>> click on or select and I don't see the option anywhere.
>
> There should be a button or link/text named "Rebuild iPod Database...".
>
> Gabriel

Well, one would think so - that is what I was expecting . . . but no -
there is nothing like that - the text offers no link.

Is there a command line argument to call this?

Benjamin

Re: Rebuild Ipod Database . . . HOW?

Benjamin Cathey-2
Help!  This is still unresolved and I am at the point of actually
considering a windows install to get this to work.

There HAS to be a way to rebuild this database as it implies but I do
not see the option anywhere in this program, in the FAQs, on google -
ANYWHERE.

Please tell me where the function is as Banshee implies that it CAN do
it in the error message.

Thanks guys

Benjamin

Benjamin Cathey wrote:

> Gabriel Burt wrote:
>> On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 10:55 AM, Benjamin Cathey
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> When I plug in my son's IPOD it tells me it is unable to read but that
>>> Banshee can "rebuild the database . . . " however there is nothing to
>>> click on or select and I don't see the option anywhere.
>> There should be a button or link/text named "Rebuild iPod Database...".
>>
>> Gabriel
>
> Well, one would think so - that is what I was expecting . . . but no -
> there is nothing like that - the text offers no link.
>
> Is there a command line argument to call this?
>
> Benjamin

Re: Rebuild Ipod Database . . . HOW?

Brandon Perry-2
What version of Banshee are you using?

Benjamin Cathey wrote:
> Gabriel Burt wrote:
>> On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 10:55 AM, Benjamin Cathey
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> When I plug in my son's IPOD it tells me it is unable to read but that
>>> Banshee can "rebuild the database . . . " however there is nothing to
>>> click on or select and I don't see the option anywhere.
>> There should be a button or link/text named "Rebuild iPod Database...".
>>
>> Gabriel
>
> Well, one would think so - that is what I was expecting . . . but no -
> there is nothing like that - the text offers no link.
>
> Is there a command line argument to call this?
>
> Benjamin

Re: Rebuild Ipod Database . . . HOW?

Benjamin Cathey-2
This is a good question - whatever was in the repos.  I am not sure - I
tried this on Linux Mint (fluxbox) and Ubuntu 7.1 install

Brandon Perry wrote:

> What version of Banshee are you using?
>
> On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 1:36 PM, Benjamin Cathey <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Help!  This is still unresolved and I am at the point of actually
>     considering a windows install to get this to work.
>
>     There HAS to be a way to rebuild this database as it implies but I do
>     not see the option anywhere in this program, in the FAQs, on google -
>     ANYWHERE.
>
>     Please tell me where the function is as Banshee implies that it CAN do
>     it in the error message.
>
>     Thanks guys
>
>     Benjamin
>
>     Benjamin Cathey wrote:
>      > Gabriel Burt wrote:
>      >> On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 10:55 AM, Benjamin Cathey
>      >> <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>      >>> When I plug in my son's IPOD it tells me it is unable to read
>     but that
>      >>> Banshee can "rebuild the database . . . " however there is
>     nothing to
>      >>> click on or select and I don't see the option anywhere.
>      >> There should be a button or link/text named "Rebuild iPod
>     Database...".
>      >>
>      >> Gabriel
>      >> _______________________________________________
>      >> Banshee-list mailing list
>      >> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>      >> http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/banshee-list
>      >
>      > Well, one would think so - that is what I was expecting . . . but
>     no -
>      > there is nothing like that - the text offers no link.
>      >
>      > Is there a command line argument to call this?
>      >
>      > Benjamin
>      > Banshee-list mailing list
>      > http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/banshee-list

Re: Rebuild Ipod Database . . . HOW?

Benjamin Cathey-2
On Mint it is version 0.13.1

Brandon Perry wrote:

> What version of Banshee are you using?
>
> On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 1:36 PM, Benjamin Cathey <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Help!  This is still unresolved and I am at the point of actually
>     considering a windows install to get this to work.
>
>     There HAS to be a way to rebuild this database as it implies but I do
>     not see the option anywhere in this program, in the FAQs, on google -
>     ANYWHERE.
>
>     Please tell me where the function is as Banshee implies that it CAN do
>     it in the error message.
>
>     Thanks guys
>
>     Benjamin
>
>     Benjamin Cathey wrote:
>      > Gabriel Burt wrote:
>      >> On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 10:55 AM, Benjamin Cathey
>      >> <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>      >>> When I plug in my son's IPOD it tells me it is unable to read
>     but that
>      >>> Banshee can "rebuild the database . . . " however there is
>     nothing to
>      >>> click on or select and I don't see the option anywhere.
>      >> There should be a button or link/text named "Rebuild iPod
>     Database...".
>      >>
>      >> Gabriel
>      >> _______________________________________________
>      >> Banshee-list mailing list
>      >> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>      >> http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/banshee-list
>      >
>      > Well, one would think so - that is what I was expecting . . . but
>     no -
>      > there is nothing like that - the text offers no link.
>      >
>      > Is there a command line argument to call this?
>      >
>      > Benjamin
>      > Banshee-list mailing list
>      > http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/banshee-list

Re: Rebuild Ipod Database . . . HOW?

Steven Côté
> What version of Banshee are you using?

On Mint it is version 0.13.1

I just checked the version on Fedora 8 (also 0.13.1) and the link to rebuild the IPOD is one the screen when you select the device.

Here's a screenshot.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/12701834@N06/2549602954/sizes/o/

Does the link not appear for you then?