Re: Fwd: 13 decimal places

Aaron Bockover
I think at this point, you'll need to wait for the scripting support to
be added back to Banshee, and then write a script just add the mode you
care about most.

It could be done easily, but I haven't added the engine back.

--Aaron

On Thu, 2008-04-24 at 10:57 +0100, Allan Day wrote:

> Yes, a really nice feature. Makes me happy! :)
>
> I'm using the long format (items, days, hours, minutes, seconds, disk
> space), and liking it a lot.
>
> One thing I wonder - and I am really unsure about this - would it be
> worth having an intermediate setting? At the moment the options for
> displaying the length of time of the collection are:
>
> Standard: X.X days/hours/minutes/seconds, eg. 12.2 days
> Long: X days, X hours, X minutes, X seconds, eg. 12 days, 4 hours, 4
> minutes, 17 seconds
> Concise: X:X:X:X, eg. 12:04:04:17
>
> A medium setting could display the two most uppermost units: X days, X
> minutes, or X hours, X minutes. In the example above, you would get: 12
> days, 4 hours.
>
> What do people think?
>
> Allan
>

> Josiah Ritchie wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 1:52 AM, Gabriel Burt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Don't think this was announced:
> >>
> >>  A couple weeks ago abock added support for clicking on the status bar
> >>  to change the format.  Should make everybody happy.
> >>
> >>  Gabriel
> >>

> > That is cool, simple and elegant solution. :-) Thank Abock!
> >
> > JSR/

Re: Fwd: 13 decimal places

Aaron Bockover
Ok, so I got a little excited about bringing Boo back. You can now
script those duration formats to your heart's content:

http://svn.gnome.org/svn/banshee/trunk/banshee/src/Extensions/Banshee.BooScript/Resources/duration-status-formats.boo

The Boo scripting is just another Banshee extension. You will need Boo
installed for this extension to build, and then it is also turned off by
default. You can enable it from the preferences dialog.

Scripts should be placed in ~/.config/banshee-1/boo-scripts

Or you can run them from the command line:

banshee-1 --run-scripts script-1.boo script-2.boo

It would be nice to provide a script management UI that would appear if
the BooScript extension is loaded. This would allow you to add/remove
and enable/disable scripts. It could install itself as a third tab in
the preferences UI. If anyone is interested in doing this, let me know.

Note that Boo has a reasonable performance overhead. It takes about
0.75s for the first script to compile since all the interpreter/compiler
stuff has to be loaded once. Subsequent scripts will run faster. But
there's also a small memory overhead for making all this stuff happen.

That is, if you're really into customizing Banshee, Boo scripting can be
a great thing for you, but it's not something we'll use/support OOTB.

Enjoy!

--Aaron

On Wed, 2008-04-30 at 17:26 -0600, Aaron Bockover wrote:

> I think at this point, you'll need to wait for the scripting support to
> be added back to Banshee, and then write a script just add the mode you
> care about most.
>
> It could be done easily, but I haven't added the engine back.
>
> --Aaron
>
> On Thu, 2008-04-24 at 10:57 +0100, Allan Day wrote:
> > Yes, a really nice feature. Makes me happy! :)
> >
> > I'm using the long format (items, days, hours, minutes, seconds, disk
> > space), and liking it a lot.
> >
> > One thing I wonder - and I am really unsure about this - would it be
> > worth having an intermediate setting? At the moment the options for
> > displaying the length of time of the collection are:
> >
> > Standard: X.X days/hours/minutes/seconds, eg. 12.2 days
> > Long: X days, X hours, X minutes, X seconds, eg. 12 days, 4 hours, 4
> > minutes, 17 seconds
> > Concise: X:X:X:X, eg. 12:04:04:17
> >
> > A medium setting could display the two most uppermost units: X days, X
> > minutes, or X hours, X minutes. In the example above, you would get: 12
> > days, 4 hours.
> >
> > What do people think?
> >
> > Allan
> >

> > Josiah Ritchie wrote:

> > > That is cool, simple and elegant solution. :-) Thank Abock!
> > >
> > > JSR/

Re: Fwd: 13 decimal places

andrewski
On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 10:02 PM, Aaron Bockover <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ok, so I got a little excited about bringing Boo back. You can now
script those duration formats to your heart's content:

http://svn.gnome.org/svn/banshee/trunk/banshee/src/Extensions/Banshee.BooScript/Resources/duration-status-formats.boo

The Boo scripting is just another Banshee extension. You will need Boo
installed for this extension to build, and then it is also turned off by
default. You can enable it from the preferences dialog.

All of this because you and Gabe disagreed with, what, all the users on the list about what should show down there? :)

Re: Fwd: 13 decimal places

Gabriel Burt
2008/4/30 Andrew Conkling <[hidden email]>:

> On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 10:02 PM, Aaron Bockover <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Ok, so I got a little excited about bringing Boo back. You can now
> > script those duration formats to your heart's content:
> >

> http://svn.gnome.org/svn/banshee/trunk/banshee/src/Extensions/Banshee.BooScript/Resources/duration-status-formats.boo
> >
> > The Boo scripting is just another Banshee extension. You will need Boo
> > installed for this extension to build, and then it is also turned off by
> > default. You can enable it from the preferences dialog.
> >

> All of this because you and Gabe disagreed with, what, all the users on the
> list about what should show down there? :)

Let it be known that all the users on this list != all Banshee users.  :)

Gabriel

Re: Fwd: 13 decimal places

andrewski
On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 9:06 AM, Gabriel Burt <[hidden email]> wrote:
2008/4/30 Andrew Conkling <[hidden email]>:
> All of this because you and Gabe disagreed with, what, all the users on the
> list about what should show down there? :)

Let it be known that all the users on this list != all Banshee users.  :)

Touche. :P

Plus, I tried it out and it's completely inobtrusive unless you go seeking it out. That sounds like a good solution, and reminds me of GNOME's general functionality with respect to Preferences windows and GConf.