Problem building banshee

Jeff Jevnisek
Hi,

I'm trying to build banshee from the instructions at http://banshee.fm/download/development/ on Linux Mint 17.3 'Rosa'. I have lots of experience developing software on Windows to pay the bills but only about 3 months of experience on Linux and maybe 2 week experience with development.

I think Linux Mint is based off Ubuntu so I'm following the instructions for Ubuntu. When I get to the step
sudo apt-get build-dep banshee

I get this error

> sudo apt-get build-dep banshee
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to find a source package for banshee

I saw in another posting on this list that, for a different error, they used aptitude to fix their problem so I tried that.

> sudo aptitude build-dep banshee
Unable to find the source package for "banshee".
Unable to find the source package for "banshee".
The following packages will be REMOVED:
fritzing-data{u} libqt4-webkit{u}
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 2 to remove and 8 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B of archives. After unpacking 118 MB will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?] n
Abort.

I'm fairly sure that removing packages would be a bad thing so I didn't remove them.
Could someone please help me with this problem?

Jeff

Re: Problem building banshee

Samuel Gyger
Hello Jeff,
building Banshee at the moment is sort of a complicate thing. At the moment I try to prepare a docker-container that will allow to build banshee more easily. Although not successful yet, I can give you my current state.

You will need the following packages to build Banshee on Ubuntu 16.04, as they are all older, it should also work on the last ubuntu version.

apt-get install --no-install-recommends -y \
    git \
    autoconf \
    automake \
    libtool \
    intltool \
    gcc \
    make \
    libgtk-3-dev \
    libgstreamer1.0 \
    gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad \
    pulseaudio \
    mono-devel \
    && apt-get install --no-install-recommends -y \
    mono-reference-assemblies-2.0 \
    libdbus2.0-cil-dev \
    libdbus-glib2.0-cil-dev \
    libgconf2.0-cil-dev \
    libgconf2-dev \
    libgstreamer1.0-dev \
    libgstreamer-plugins-bad1.0-dev \
    libmono-addins-cil \
    libmono-addins-cil-dev \
    libgdata-cil-dev \
    libgudev3.0-cil \
    libgudev3.0-cil-dev \
    libmono-upnp-cil-dev \
    libsqlite3-dev \
    libdbus-glib-1-dev \
    libdbus1.0-cil \
    libdbus-glib1.0-cil \
    libmtp9 \
    libmtp-dev \
    libgpod4 \
    libgpod-cil \
    libgpod-cil-dev \
    libmono-zeroconf1.0-cil \
    libmono-zeroconf-cil-dev \

and

and build all of them and install them.

Then you can also install banshee:
git clone git://git.gnome.org/banshee

I have the problem that Ubuntu 16.04 comes with gstreamer1.8 and somehow the bindings don't fit there, so if somebody has an idea how to fix the gstreamer-bindings. Please go ahead.

This should give you an banshee from git HEAD.

Good Luck,
Samuel

---
E-Mail: [hidden email]