Non-stop media scanning after importing a playlist

Non-stop media scanning after importing a playlist

Captain_Contours
I run Banshee 2.6.2 through LinuxMint 17 Qiana.
My media files are stored on separate drives/partitions which do mount and appear in the Banshee Library OK.
But the playlists seem to empty themselves - list file names are present but contents are empty.
I can import the playlist OK and Banshee accepts and plays imported lists, but it runs a media scan at each import which does not stop.
Clicking the "stop" icon changes the notification from "Importing Media... Scanning for media" to "Stopping... Scanning for media" but the scan ribbons keep oscillating.
Importing further playlist m3u files adds a new scan notification above any previous notifications, to the stage that the Now Playing/Library window (top left) shrinks.

I guess that there is a GUI process that is not stopping when it should.
Any fix?
Captain Contours - flat route cycling is me...