No Playback in Ubuntu Hardy

guitarMan666
I installed the latest version of Banshee and I cannot get any sound (from the ppa repository, not Ubuntu's).  It is silent.  Upon clicking play it rapidly goes down my library five songs each time play is clicked, marking them with red "X" icons, but no useful messages at all and no console output either.

The format of the songs I'm trying to play are MP3.

This seems to indicate a problem with the GStreamer plug-ins, but I have them, ALL of them.
Thanks in advance
-Eric

Re: No Playback in Ubuntu Hardy

Sandy Armstrong
On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 2:55 AM, guitarMan666 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I installed the latest version of Banshee and I cannot get any sound (from
> the ppa repository, not Ubuntu's).  It is silent.  Upon clicking play it
> rapidly goes down my library five songs each time play is clicked, marking
> them with red "X" icons, but no useful messages at all and no console output
> either.

Dumb question, but are you sure the files are really there?  This is
the behavior you get when, for example, you try to play your music
library but forget to mount the network drive where the music lives
first.  :-)

Sandy

Re: No Playback in Ubuntu Hardy

Ryan Parrish-4
Had this problem with Ipod I geuss banshee doesn't bring them onto the hard drive when one uses the import feature

On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 9:11 AM, Sandy Armstrong <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 2:55 AM, guitarMan666 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I installed the latest version of Banshee and I cannot get any sound (from
> the ppa repository, not Ubuntu's).  It is silent.  Upon clicking play it
> rapidly goes down my library five songs each time play is clicked, marking
> them with red "X" icons, but no useful messages at all and no console output
> either.

Dumb question, but are you sure the files are really there?  This is
the behavior you get when, for example, you try to play your music
library but forget to mount the network drive where the music lives
first.  :-)

Sandy

Re: No Playback in Ubuntu Hardy

guitarMan666
I realized first that it could mean missing files, but there are no files missing.  All 1063 files are in their proper location and are in the proper format.  I even re-imported the folder to ensure Banshee pointed to the correct location, no change.  A reboot however, fixed the problem.
-Eric
Sandy Armstrong wrote

Dumb question, but are you sure the files are really there?  This is
the behavior you get when, for example, you try to play your music
library but forget to mount the network drive where the music lives
first.  :-)

Sandy

Re: No Playback in Ubuntu Hardy

Sandy Armstrong
Sounds like it could have been a PulseAudio problem.