Missing panel control in Ubuntu 14.10

Jeffery Small

I just upgraded to Ubuntu 14.10 and am running the xfce4 desktop.  In
14.04.1, when banshee was started it placed an icon (a blue music note) in
the notification tray of the xfce4 panel.  This provided very nice mouse
control over the player.  In 14.10 this icon is not appearing and instead
the player is integrated into the audio notification menu.  This takes away
my ability to quickly pause/start banshee with the middle mouse button.

Is there a way to force the panel icon to be redisplayed in 14.14.  This is
with banshee 2.6.2.

Thanks.

Re: Missing panel control in Ubuntu 14.10

Jeffery Small
Following up to my own post:

I should have also noted that on the Preferences->Extensions menu, I did
check "Notification Area Icon" and unchecked "Sound Menu Integration", but
none of this had any effect and the player remains tied to the sound menu.

I wrote:

>I just upgraded to Ubuntu 14.10 and am running the xfce4 desktop.  In
>14.04.1, when banshee was started it placed an icon (a blue music note) in
>the notification tray of the xfce4 panel.  This provided very nice mouse
>control over the player.  In 14.10 this icon is not appearing and instead
>the player is integrated into the audio notification menu.  This takes away
>my ability to quickly pause/start banshee with the middle mouse button.

>Is there a way to force the panel icon to be redisplayed in 14.14.  This is
>with banshee 2.6.2.

Re: Missing panel control in Ubuntu 14.10

Chow Loong Jin-2
On Sat, Dec 06, 2014 at 06:52:37AM +0000, Jeffery Small wrote:

> I just upgraded to Ubuntu 14.10 and am running the xfce4 desktop.  In
> 14.04.1, when banshee was started it placed an icon (a blue music note) in
> the notification tray of the xfce4 panel.  This provided very nice mouse
> control over the player.  In 14.10 this icon is not appearing and instead
> the player is integrated into the audio notification menu.  This takes away
> my ability to quickly pause/start banshee with the middle mouse button.
>
> Is there a way to force the panel icon to be redisplayed in 14.14.  This is
> with banshee 2.6.2.
No there isn't. At least not simply. I made quite a bit of noise about this back
when the notification area -> indicator icon switch happened in Ubuntu, and the
current sound menu is the compromise we arrived at. Believe me, it used to be a
lot worse.

--
Kind regards,
Loong Jin

Chow Loong Jin <[hidden email]> writes:

>On Sat, Dec 06, 2014 at 06:52:37AM +0000, Jeffery Small wrote:
>
>>I just upgraded to Ubuntu 14.10 and am running the xfce4 desktop.  In
>>14.04.1, when banshee was started it placed an icon (a blue music note)
>>in the notification tray of the xfce4 panel.  This provided very nice
>>mouse control over the player.  In 14.10 this icon is not appearing and
>>instead the player is integrated into the audio notification menu.  This
>>takes away
>> my ability to quickly pause/start banshee with the middle mouse button.
>>=20 Is there a way to force the panel icon to be redisplayed in 14.14.
>>This is with banshee 2.6.2.

>No there isn't. At least not simply. I made quite a bit of noise about
>this back when the notification area -> indicator icon switch happened
>in Ubuntu, and the current sound menu is the compromise we arrived
>at. Believe me, it used to be a lot worse.
>
>Kind regards,
>Loong Jin

Thanks Loong Jin.

I'm very sorry to hear this -- especially given that there is a
non-functioning option for this on the Preferences menu.  I sure wish
developers of these tools were more supportive of user preferences and
implemented GUI changes as options rather than forcing these things upon
everyone.  Given the Preference menu entry, maybe that is some indication
that this feature could be restored.  Is anyone on the development team
listing here?

Regards.

On Mon, Dec 08, 2014 at 05:50:42AM +0000, Jeffery Small wrote:
> [...]
> I'm very sorry to hear this -- especially given that there is a
> non-functioning option for this on the Preferences menu.  I sure wish
> developers of these tools were more supportive of user preferences and
> implemented GUI changes as options rather than forcing these things upon
> everyone.  Given the Preference menu entry, maybe that is some indication
> that this feature could be restored.  Is anyone on the development team
> listing here?

No, don't misunderstand. The indicator change was a downstream decision within
Ubuntu to remove the notification area and replace it with indicators instead.
I'm actually quite satisfied with how it turned out, as there is now a unified
area for media players to reside in.

The Sound Menu functions over MPRIS2, which is a standard for controlling media
players over D-Bus. Any MPRIS2-supporting player will turn up in the Sound Menu,
including Totem, Rhythmbox, and gnome-mplayer. (Sorry, I don't know what the
XFCE alternatives are).

The Sound Menu extension in Banshee just tells Banshee not to shut down if its
window is closed and the sound menu is present.

The Notification Area extension in Banshee adds a notification area icon if the
notification area exists, and tells Banshee not to shut down if its window is
closed and the notification area icon is still present. This doesn't work in
Unity or XFCE today because there is no longer a notification area (I think).

The Indicator Applet extension does the same thing as the above, but without the
hover functionality, and in the indicator applet instead. This was a fairly
crappy solution which I was annoyed about, before we moved to the Sound Menu.

--
Kind regards,
Loong Jin

On Mon, Dec 08, 2014 at 02:01:55PM +0800, Chow Loong Jin wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 08, 2014 at 05:50:42AM +0000, Jeffery Small wrote:
> > [...]
> > I'm very sorry to hear this -- especially given that there is a
> > non-functioning option for this on the Preferences menu.  I sure wish
> > developers of these tools were more supportive of user preferences and
> > implemented GUI changes as options rather than forcing these things upon
> > everyone.  Given the Preference menu entry, maybe that is some indication
> > that this feature could be restored.  Is anyone on the development team
> > listing here?
>
> No, don't misunderstand. The indicator change was a downstream decision within
> Ubuntu to remove the notification area and replace it with indicators instead.
> I'm actually quite satisfied with how it turned out, as there is now a unified
> area for media players to reside in.
>
> The Sound Menu functions over MPRIS2, which is a standard for controlling media
> players over D-Bus. Any MPRIS2-supporting player will turn up in the Sound Menu,
> including Totem, Rhythmbox, and gnome-mplayer. (Sorry, I don't know what the
> XFCE alternatives are).
>
> The Sound Menu extension in Banshee just tells Banshee not to shut down if its
> window is closed and the sound menu is present.
>
> The Notification Area extension in Banshee adds a notification area icon if the
> notification area exists, and tells Banshee not to shut down if its window is
> closed and the notification area icon is still present. This doesn't work in
> Unity or XFCE today because there is no longer a notification area (I think).
>
> The Indicator Applet extension does the same thing as the above, but without the
> hover functionality, and in the indicator applet instead. This was a fairly
> crappy solution which I was annoyed about, before we moved to the Sound Menu.
All in all, my advice is to live with it, and use hotkeys to control Banshee. If
your keyboard lacks multimedia keys, use custom hotkeys bound to "banshee
--toggle-playing", "banshee --next" and "banshee --prev" instead.

--
Kind regards,
Loong Jin

On Mon, Dec 08, 2014 at 02:05:20PM +0800, Chow Loong Jin wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 08, 2014 at 02:01:55PM +0800, Chow Loong Jin wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 08, 2014 at 05:50:42AM +0000, Jeffery Small wrote:
> > > [...]
> > > I'm very sorry to hear this -- especially given that there is a
> > > non-functioning option for this on the Preferences menu.  I sure wish
> > > developers of these tools were more supportive of user preferences and
> > > implemented GUI changes as options rather than forcing these things upon
> > > everyone.  Given the Preference menu entry, maybe that is some indication
> > > that this feature could be restored.  Is anyone on the development team
> > > listing here?
> >
> > No, don't misunderstand. The indicator change was a downstream decision within
> > Ubuntu to remove the notification area and replace it with indicators instead.
> > I'm actually quite satisfied with how it turned out, as there is now a unified
> > area for media players to reside in.
> >
> > The Sound Menu functions over MPRIS2, which is a standard for controlling media
> > players over D-Bus. Any MPRIS2-supporting player will turn up in the Sound Menu,
> > including Totem, Rhythmbox, and gnome-mplayer. (Sorry, I don't know what the
> > XFCE alternatives are).
> >
> > The Sound Menu extension in Banshee just tells Banshee not to shut down if its
> > window is closed and the sound menu is present.
> >
> > The Notification Area extension in Banshee adds a notification area icon if the
> > notification area exists, and tells Banshee not to shut down if its window is
> > closed and the notification area icon is still present. This doesn't work in
> > Unity or XFCE today because there is no longer a notification area (I think).
> >
> > The Indicator Applet extension does the same thing as the above, but without the
> > hover functionality, and in the indicator applet instead. This was a fairly
> > crappy solution which I was annoyed about, before we moved to the Sound Menu.
>
> All in all, my advice is to live with it, and use hotkeys to control Banshee. If
> your keyboard lacks multimedia keys, use custom hotkeys bound to "banshee
> --toggle-playing", "banshee --next" and "banshee --prev" instead.
Er --previous, not --prev.

--
Kind regards,
Loong Jin

Re: Missing panel control in Ubuntu 14.10

Jeffery Small
Chow Loong Jin <[hidden email]> writes:

>All in all, my advice is to live with it, and use hotkeys to control
>Banshe= e. If your keyboard lacks multimedia keys, use custom hotkeys
>bound to "banshee --toggle-playing", "banshee --next" and "banshee --previous"
>instead.
>
>Kind regards,
>Loong Jin

Thank you for the detailed explanation regarding the history of the change
from the notification area to the indicator panel.  I now understand what
has happened here.  And thank you for the great suggestion of how to
control banshee using hotkeys.  I'll take this route and set up a key to
toggle pause/play.

Jeff

Re: Missing panel control in Ubuntu 14.10

Nick Dokos-2
[hidden email] (Jeffery Small) writes:

> Chow Loong Jin <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>>All in all, my advice is to live with it, and use hotkeys to control
>>Banshe= e. If your keyboard lacks multimedia keys, use custom hotkeys
>>bound to "banshee --toggle-playing", "banshee --next" and "banshee --previous"
>>instead.
>>
>>Kind regards,
>>Loong Jin
>
> Thank you for the detailed explanation regarding the history of the change
> from the notification area to the indicator panel.  I now understand what
> has happened here.  And thank you for the great suggestion of how to
> control banshee using hotkeys.  I'll take this route and set up a key to
> toggle pause/play.

Doesn't the spacebar do that?

--
Nick

On Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 09:46:02PM -0500, Nick Dokos wrote:

> [hidden email] (Jeffery Small) writes:
>
> > Chow Loong Jin <[hidden email]> writes:
> >
> >>All in all, my advice is to live with it, and use hotkeys to control
> >>Banshe= e. If your keyboard lacks multimedia keys, use custom hotkeys
> >>bound to "banshee --toggle-playing", "banshee --next" and "banshee --previous"
> >>instead.
> >>
> >>Kind regards,
> >>Loong Jin
> >
> > Thank you for the detailed explanation regarding the history of the change
> > from the notification area to the indicator panel.  I now understand what
> > has happened here.  And thank you for the great suggestion of how to
> > control banshee using hotkeys.  I'll take this route and set up a key to
> > toggle pause/play.
> >

> Doesn't the spacebar do that?
We were talking about global hotkeys, i.e. hotkeys that work when Banshee's
window isn't in focus.

--
Kind regards,
Loong Jin