MIDI playback

Cigydd
Hello everybody,

I use Banshee a long time. Installed it again on Linux Mint 17 Qiana, upgraded to 17.1 Rebecca on my 32-bit desktop computer.

It works nice but for the MIDI files I get a warning and they get marked as broken or unsupported.

This is the message in Czech:
"mono-sgen vyžaduje instalaci zásuvných modulů pro přehrávání multimediálních souborů následujícího typu: audio/x-midi-event decoder"

It translates to something as:
"mono-sgen requires plug-in installation in order to play the multimedia files of type: audio/x-midi-event decoder"

OK, how do I install the plug-in(s)?

Regards,

Cigydd

Re: MIDI playback

IBBoard
Banshee uses a library called GStreamer for its media playback (as a
number of other media players do). From a quick search online then
GStreamer doesn't currently support MIDI files [1] in the core library.

That said, installing the "gstreamer-plugins-bad" package *may* add
support [2], if Ubuntu has the same plugins packaged as Arch do.  Some
tweaking may be required.

[1]
http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/doc/gstreamer/head/faq/html/chapter-dependencies.html#idp64221312
[2]
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/MIDI#GStreamer-based_players_like_Totem_.28GNOME_Videos.29_or_Rhythmbox

On 23/12/14 22:08, Cigydd wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> I use Banshee a long time. Installed it again on Linux Mint 17 Qiana,
> upgraded to 17.1 Rebecca on my 32-bit desktop computer.
>
> It works nice but for the MIDI files I get a warning and they get marked as
> broken or unsupported.
>
> This is the message in Czech:
> "mono-sgen vyžaduje instalaci zásuvných modulů pro přehrávání
> multimediálních souborů následujícího typu: audio/x-midi-event decoder"
>
> It translates to something as:
> "mono-sgen requires plug-in installation in order to play the multimedia
> files of type: audio/x-midi-event decoder"
>
> OK, how do I install the plug-in(s)?
>
> Regards,
>
> Cigydd

Re: MIDI playback

Cigydd
Hello IBBoard,

thank you for your response. I already have the libgstreamer-plugins-bad-* packages installed so it seems I am up to "some tweaking". I'll start with the articles you cited.

Cigydd

On 23/12/14 22:08, Cigydd wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> I use Banshee a long time. Installed it again on Linux Mint 17 Qiana,
> upgraded to 17.1 Rebecca on my 32-bit desktop computer.
>
> It works nice but for the MIDI files I get a warning and they get marked as
> broken or unsupported.
>
> This is the message in Czech:
> "mono-sgen vyžaduje instalaci zásuvných modulů pro přehrávání
> multimediálních souborů následujícího typu: audio/x-midi-event decoder"
>
> It translates to something as:
> "mono-sgen requires plug-in installation in order to play the multimedia
> files of type: audio/x-midi-event decoder"
>
> OK, how do I install the plug-in(s)?
>
> Regards,
>
> Cigydd

NAML

--
Pavel Řezníček
vývojář a správce počítačové sítě
301 00 Plzeň/Pilsen
Plzeňský kraj/Pilsen District, Czechia, Central Europe

Re: MIDI playback

Chow Loong Jin-2
On Wed, Dec 24, 2014 at 03:51:30AM -0800, Cigydd wrote:
> Hello IBBoard,
>
> thank you for your response. I already have the libgstreamer-plugins-bad-*
> packages installed so it seems I am up to "some tweaking". I'll start with
> the articles you cited.

Those are just some shared libraries. You need the plugins themselves:

Install gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad.

--
Kind regards,
Loong Jin

Re: MIDI playback

Cigydd

On Pá 26. prosinec 2014, 18:37:54 CET, Chow Loong Jin-2 [via Banshee Media Player] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 24, 2014 at 03:51:30AM -0800, Cigydd wrote:
> > Hello IBBoard,
> >
> > thank you for your response. I already have the
> > libgstreamer-plugins-bad-* packages installed so it seems I am up to
> > "some tweaking". I'll start with the articles you cited.
>
> Those are just some shared libraries. You need the plugins themselves:
>
> Install gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad.
>
> --
> Kind regards,
> Loong Jin

Thank you, Loong, for your response. I had the plugins themselves already installed too.
But I didn't have TiMidity installed. I installed it newly.

Now I tried to play a MIDI file and Banshee freezed. I tried to kill it and start it again and it seems it quits immediately but in a weird manner:

banshee &
– nothing happens

banshee
– blocks the command line as if it was running

killall banshee
– no such process found

After a reboot, it’s possible to launch Banshee but as I try to play a MIDI file, it highlights but Banshee freezes again.

It emits a log line:
[Warn 19:51:12.268] Seem to be stuck loading file:///home/pavel/<path>.mid, so re-trying

Now, it’s possible to restart Banshee.
Tried another file and it actually plays!
Tried the first file and it freezes Banshee.
Tried several files and some play, some freeze.

So it appears to be a problem with some files only.

Tried with TiMidity and one of the problematic files plays OK in it from command line.

This seems to me to be a bug. But I don’t know in what piece of software. Mono? GStreamer? Banshee?

Thank you guys for your help. Should I file a bug?

Cigydd