M4a and M4b support

Andy Underhill
Hi,

I'm desperate to migrate away from Windows, but have two reasons for keeping it on my PC, one is iTunes.  Banshee 1.0 is great but.....the latest version no appears to longer play m4a files (it puts a small red X next to the files I'm trying to play), also it reports all my m4b audiobooks as errors.

Is there a way of making Banshee support m4a/b?

Andy Underhill

Re: M4a and M4b support

Sandy Armstrong
More specifically, since Banshee uses GStreamer as its media
framework, it will support any files for which you have the
appropriate GStreamer plugins.  As Brandon says, gstreamer-ffmpeg
should help out with a lot of files.  :-)

Sandy

2008/6/9 Brandon Perry <[hidden email]>:

> Make sure you have the correct codecs install (ffmpeg for m4a I believe).
>
> 2008/6/9 Andy Underhill <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm desperate to migrate away from Windows, but have two reasons for
>> keeping it on my PC, one is iTunes.  Banshee 1.0 is great but.....the latest
>> version no appears to longer play m4a files (it puts a small red X next to
>> the files I'm trying to play), also it reports all my m4b audiobooks as
>> errors.
>>
>> Is there a way of making Banshee support m4a/b?
>>
>> Andy Underhill

Re: M4a and M4b support

Andy Underhill
Thanks for the reply, but yes ffmpeg and gstreamer010-ffmpeg (0.10.3) installed.  The latter is possibly the problem.

I was using the previous main release which coped with m4a's, but in order to upgrade to 1.0 I uninstalled the previous version and installed via 1 click install version 1.0.

Is there a version of gstreamer for version 1.0?

Cheers
Andy

On Mon, 2008-06-09 at 17:32 -0500, Brandon Perry wrote:
Make sure you have the correct codecs install (ffmpeg for m4a I believe).

2008/6/9 Andy Underhill <[hidden email]>:
Hi,

I'm desperate to migrate away from Windows, but have two reasons for keeping it on my PC, one is iTunes.  Banshee 1.0 is great but.....the latest version no appears to longer play m4a files (it puts a small red X next to the files I'm trying to play), also it reports all my m4b audiobooks as errors.

Is there a way of making Banshee support m4a/b?

Andy Underhill

Re: M4a and M4b support

Patrick Ohearn-2
On Tue, 2008-06-10 at 00:45 +0200, Andy Underhill wrote:

> Thanks for the reply, but yes ffmpeg and gstreamer010-ffmpeg (0.10.3)
> installed.  The latter is possibly the problem.
>
> I was using the previous main release which coped with m4a's, but in
> order to upgrade to 1.0 I uninstalled the previous version and
> installed via 1 click install version 1.0.
>
> Is there a version of gstreamer for version 1.0?
>
> Cheers
> Andy
>
> On Mon, 2008-06-09 at 17:32 -0500, Brandon Perry wrote:
> > Make sure you have the correct codecs install (ffmpeg for m4a I
> > believe).
> >
> > 2008/6/9 Andy Underhill <[hidden email]>:
> >         Hi,
> >
> >         I'm desperate to migrate away from Windows, but have two
> >         reasons for keeping it on my PC, one is iTunes.  Banshee 1.0
> >         is great but.....the latest version no appears to longer
> >         play m4a files (it puts a small red X next to the files I'm
> >         trying to play), also it reports all my m4b audiobooks as
> >         errors.
> >
> >         Is there a way of making Banshee support m4a/b?
> >
> >         Andy Underhill

Where are you getting your gstreamer and ffmpeg packages from? If they
are distro packages, what distro and main version are you using?

Some distros have been known to opt-out of some media codecs due to
legal issues in the US.

Re: M4a and M4b support

Sandy Armstrong
Banshee 1.0 should work fine with GStreamer 0.10.  What version of
what distro are you using?  Perhaps you need to make sure you have the
"good", "bad", and "guly" gstreamer plugin packages installed.

2008/6/9 Andy Underhill <[hidden email]>:

> Thanks for the reply, but yes ffmpeg and gstreamer010-ffmpeg (0.10.3)
> installed.  The latter is possibly the problem.
>
> I was using the previous main release which coped with m4a's, but in order
> to upgrade to 1.0 I uninstalled the previous version and installed via 1
> click install version 1.0.
>
> Is there a version of gstreamer for version 1.0?
>
> Cheers
> Andy
>
> On Mon, 2008-06-09 at 17:32 -0500, Brandon Perry wrote:
>
> Make sure you have the correct codecs install (ffmpeg for m4a I believe).
>
> 2008/6/9 Andy Underhill <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm desperate to migrate away from Windows, but have two reasons for keeping
> it on my PC, one is iTunes.  Banshee 1.0 is great but.....the latest version
> no appears to longer play m4a files (it puts a small red X next to the files
> I'm trying to play), also it reports all my m4b audiobooks as errors.
>
> Is there a way of making Banshee support m4a/b?
>
> Andy Underhill

Re: M4a and M4b support

Michał Sawicz
Dnia 2008-06-10, wto o godzinie 00:45 +0200, Andy Underhill pisze:
> via 1 click install

Seems that you're using suse. You need to install packages from PackMan
to have support for .m4a.

The problem with .m4b is that the extension is not recognized. A
workaround could be to rename the files to .m4a, but of course it would
be better if banshee (actually taglib, I think?) supported .m4b out of
the box, maybe even with additional features like chapters.

--
Michal Sawicz <[hidden email]>

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

Re: M4a and M4b support

Stephen Holmes

For some reason guys, I installed then tested and it didn't work.  I
then rebooted and retested and voila!  The AAC decoder kicked in - Yay!

One question on playing video though, I start the video playing and all
is good.  I navigate away from the video (say, to review podcasts or
something) and I can't seem to get back to the player screen itself
though the audio is still playing.  Ctrl-J doesn't work.  Any ideas?

S.

On Mon, 2008-06-09 at 16:17 -0700, Sandy Armstrong wrote:

> Banshee 1.0 should work fine with GStreamer 0.10.  What version of
> what distro are you using?  Perhaps you need to make sure you have the
> "good", "bad", and "guly" gstreamer plugin packages installed.
>
> 2008/6/9 Andy Underhill <[hidden email]>:
> > Thanks for the reply, but yes ffmpeg and gstreamer010-ffmpeg (0.10.3)
> > installed.  The latter is possibly the problem.
> >
> > I was using the previous main release which coped with m4a's, but in order
> > to upgrade to 1.0 I uninstalled the previous version and installed via 1
> > click install version 1.0.
> >
> > Is there a version of gstreamer for version 1.0?
> >
> > Cheers
> > Andy
> >
> > On Mon, 2008-06-09 at 17:32 -0500, Brandon Perry wrote:
> >
> > Make sure you have the correct codecs install (ffmpeg for m4a I believe).
> >
> > 2008/6/9 Andy Underhill <[hidden email]>:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm desperate to migrate away from Windows, but have two reasons for keeping
> > it on my PC, one is iTunes.  Banshee 1.0 is great but.....the latest version
> > no appears to longer play m4a files (it puts a small red X next to the files
> > I'm trying to play), also it reports all my m4b audiobooks as errors.
> >
> > Is there a way of making Banshee support m4a/b?
> >
> > Andy Underhill

Re: M4a and M4b support

Sandy Armstrong
I think I heard that one...it's a compiz bug iirc.

Sandy

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 4:04 AM, Stephen Holmes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> For some reason guys, I installed then tested and it didn't work.  I
> then rebooted and retested and voila!  The AAC decoder kicked in - Yay!
>
> One question on playing video though, I start the video playing and all
> is good.  I navigate away from the video (say, to review podcasts or
> something) and I can't seem to get back to the player screen itself
> though the audio is still playing.  Ctrl-J doesn't work.  Any ideas?
>
> S.
>

> On Mon, 2008-06-09 at 16:17 -0700, Sandy Armstrong wrote:
>> Banshee 1.0 should work fine with GStreamer 0.10.  What version of
>> what distro are you using?  Perhaps you need to make sure you have the
>> "good", "bad", and "guly" gstreamer plugin packages installed.
>>
>> 2008/6/9 Andy Underhill <[hidden email]>:
>> > Thanks for the reply, but yes ffmpeg and gstreamer010-ffmpeg (0.10.3)
>> > installed.  The latter is possibly the problem.
>> >
>> > I was using the previous main release which coped with m4a's, but in order
>> > to upgrade to 1.0 I uninstalled the previous version and installed via 1
>> > click install version 1.0.
>> >
>> > Is there a version of gstreamer for version 1.0?
>> >
>> > Cheers
>> > Andy
>> >
>> > On Mon, 2008-06-09 at 17:32 -0500, Brandon Perry wrote:
>> >
>> > Make sure you have the correct codecs install (ffmpeg for m4a I believe).
>> >
>> > 2008/6/9 Andy Underhill <[hidden email]>:
>> >
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I'm desperate to migrate away from Windows, but have two reasons for keeping
>> > it on my PC, one is iTunes.  Banshee 1.0 is great but.....the latest version
>> > no appears to longer play m4a files (it puts a small red X next to the files
>> > I'm trying to play), also it reports all my m4b audiobooks as errors.
>> >
>> > Is there a way of making Banshee support m4a/b?
>> >
>> > Andy Underhill

Re: M4a and M4b support

Gabriel Burt
On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 6:04 AM, Stephen Holmes <[hidden email]> wrote:
> One question on playing video though, I start the video playing and all
> is good.  I navigate away from the video (say, to review podcasts or
> something) and I can't seem to get back to the player screen itself
> though the audio is still playing.  Ctrl-J doesn't work.  Any ideas?

You are clicking on the "Now Playing" source and it's blank, or did
you not know about "Now Playing"?

Ctrl-J jumping you back to Now Playing if it's a video is an interesting idea.

Gabriel