I was thinking last night and....

12

I was thinking last night and....

Timothy Collins-2
What would be a fun plug in for Banshee : When the user starts a MP3 file, the plug in goes out to youtube, does a search and, if it finds it, automatically plays the video that corresponds to the music in place of the album art...

Re: I was thinking last night and....

Patryk Zawadzki
2008/5/20 Timothy Collins <[hidden email]>:
> What would be a fun plug in for Banshee : When the user starts a MP3 file,
> the plug in goes out to youtube, does a search and, if it finds it,
> automatically plays the video that corresponds to the music in place of the
> album art...

That would either result in crappy sound (if you use the one from
video stream) or no synchronization (if you use the mp3).

--
Patryk Zawadzki
PLD Linux Distribution

Re: I was thinking last night and....

Michał Sawicz
Dnia 2008-05-20, wto o godzinie 19:36 +0200, Patryk Zawadzki pisze:
> That would either result in crappy sound (if you use the one from
> video stream) or no synchronization (if you use the mp3).

...of course.

And also, I don't like automagic ;) But a link / notification could be
fine.

--
Michal Sawicz <[hidden email]>

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

Re: I was thinking last night and....

Timothy Collins-2
Probably - but it would be cool if ione could figure out how to do it...

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 1:36 PM, Patryk Zawadzki <[hidden email]> wrote:
2008/5/20 Timothy Collins <[hidden email]>:
> What would be a fun plug in for Banshee : When the user starts a MP3 file,
> the plug in goes out to youtube, does a search and, if it finds it,
> automatically plays the video that corresponds to the music in place of the
> album art...

That would either result in crappy sound (if you use the one from
video stream) or no synchronization (if you use the mp3).

--
Patryk Zawadzki
PLD Linux Distribution

Re: I was thinking last night and....

Sandy Armstrong
2008/5/20 Michal Sawicz <[hidden email]>:
> Dnia 2008-05-20, wto o godzinie 19:36 +0200, Patryk Zawadzki pisze:
>> That would either result in crappy sound (if you use the one from
>> video stream) or no synchronization (if you use the mp3).
>
> ...of course.
>
> And also, I don't like automagic ;) But a link / notification could be
> fine.

Good points.  As pretty as Banshee is, I barely ever look at it...it's
on in the background while I work.  If I wanted to see/share a music
video, though, it would be nice to easily see whether or not a video
was available, and to have some nice way to view it (preferably
embedded in Banshee).

That being said, I'd probably use this feature three times a year,
tops.  :-)  I haven't seen any good music videos in years, with the
exception of 'Handlebars' by Flobots.  But I can see myself hearing
"Tonight, Tonight" and wanting to see the video...

Sandy

Re: I was thinking last night and....

Timothy Collins-2
In all honesty, I should admit that I have migrated over to Anorak... with the Podcast problem in Banshee, it opened up the opportunity to leave the fold and now Banshee has to offer me some shiny new feature to lure me back...

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 1:48 PM, Sandy Armstrong <[hidden email]> wrote:
2008/5/20 Michal Sawicz <[hidden email]>:
> Dnia 2008-05-20, wto o godzinie 19:36 +0200, Patryk Zawadzki pisze:
>> That would either result in crappy sound (if you use the one from
>> video stream) or no synchronization (if you use the mp3).
>
> ...of course.
>
> And also, I don't like automagic ;) But a link / notification could be
> fine.

Good points.  As pretty as Banshee is, I barely ever look at it...it's
on in the background while I work.  If I wanted to see/share a music
video, though, it would be nice to easily see whether or not a video
was available, and to have some nice way to view it (preferably
embedded in Banshee).

That being said, I'd probably use this feature three times a year,
tops.  :-)  I haven't seen any good music videos in years, with the
exception of 'Handlebars' by Flobots.  But I can see myself hearing
"Tonight, Tonight" and wanting to see the video...

Sandy

Re: I was thinking last night and....

Sandy Armstrong
Well, Podcast support is now enabled in trunk and working fine for me.
 Is a two-week turnaround too slow?  Maybe you should give the next
release a try.

Sandy

2008/5/20 Timothy Collins <[hidden email]>:

> In all honesty, I should admit that I have migrated over to Anorak... with
> the Podcast problem in Banshee, it opened up the opportunity to leave the
> fold and now Banshee has to offer me some shiny new feature to lure me
> back...
>
> On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 1:48 PM, Sandy Armstrong
> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> > ...of course.
>> >
>> > And also, I don't like automagic ;) But a link / notification could be
>> > fine.
>>
>> Good points.  As pretty as Banshee is, I barely ever look at it...it's
>> on in the background while I work.  If I wanted to see/share a music
>> video, though, it would be nice to easily see whether or not a video
>> was available, and to have some nice way to view it (preferably
>> embedded in Banshee).
>>
>> That being said, I'd probably use this feature three times a year,
>> tops.  :-)  I haven't seen any good music videos in years, with the
>> exception of 'Handlebars' by Flobots.  But I can see myself hearing
>> "Tonight, Tonight" and wanting to see the video...
>>
>> Sandy

Re: I was thinking last night and....

LCID Fire
Patryk Zawadzki wrote:
> 2008/5/20 Timothy Collins <[hidden email]>:
>> What would be a fun plug in for Banshee : When the user starts a MP3 file,
>> the plug in goes out to youtube, does a search and, if it finds it,
>> automatically plays the video that corresponds to the music in place of the
>> album art...
>
> That would either result in crappy sound (if you use the one from
> video stream) or no synchronization (if you use the mp3).
I think we agree upon NOT using the sound of the video stream. Having a
non synchronized video stream does not seem that bad to me - with one
exception. If you really integrate such a feature I'll probably be
distracted very often by just watching the video.
Honestly - I think the idea is great :)

Re: I was thinking last night and....

Timothy Collins-2
I may... But then I have to recreate all the podcats feeds yet again. Does the new version of Banshee offer anything that Amarok doesn't? If so, I may migrate back...

And yes, two weeks is too long, since the main reason I use my MP3 player at work is for daily podcasts...

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 1:56 PM, Sandy Armstrong <[hidden email]> wrote:
Well, Podcast support is now enabled in trunk and working fine for me.
 Is a two-week turnaround too slow?  Maybe you should give the next
release a try.

Sandy

2008/5/20 Timothy Collins <[hidden email]>:
> In all honesty, I should admit that I have migrated over to Anorak... with
> the Podcast problem in Banshee, it opened up the opportunity to leave the
> fold and now Banshee has to offer me some shiny new feature to lure me
> back...
>
> On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 1:48 PM, Sandy Armstrong
> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> > ...of course.
>> >
>> > And also, I don't like automagic ;) But a link / notification could be
>> > fine.
>>
>> Good points.  As pretty as Banshee is, I barely ever look at it...it's
>> on in the background while I work.  If I wanted to see/share a music
>> video, though, it would be nice to easily see whether or not a video
>> was available, and to have some nice way to view it (preferably
>> embedded in Banshee).
>>
>> That being said, I'd probably use this feature three times a year,
>> tops.  :-)  I haven't seen any good music videos in years, with the
>> exception of 'Handlebars' by Flobots.  But I can see myself hearing
>> "Tonight, Tonight" and wanting to see the video...
>>
>> Sandy

Re: I was thinking last night and....

andrewski
2008/5/20 Timothy Collins <[hidden email]>:
And yes, two weeks is too long, since the main reason I use my MP3 player at work is for daily podcasts...

Pick a stable product (like Amarok, but there are others, particularly GNOME ones that would more directly be replacements for Banshee) and check back in with the upcoming releases of Banshee. Even 0.13.x is insufficient for podcasts, IMO.

Re: I was thinking last night and....

Timothy Collins-2
I just realized that the last post was kind of snippy - sorry, I didn't mean it to be. Honestly, if Banshee offers me a new feature or a better interface than Amarok, I will be happy to come back to Banshee...

Dnia 2008-05-20, wto o godzinie 14:03 -0400, Timothy Collins pisze:
> a better interface than Amarok

And why're you still using bloatware?

--
Michal Sawicz <[hidden email]>

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

Re: I was thinking last night and....

Brandon Perry-2
The interface for trunk is _so much better_ than Amarok IMO.

2008/5/20 Michal Sawicz <[hidden email]>:
Dnia 2008-05-20, wto o godzinie 14:03 -0400, Timothy Collins pisze:
> a better interface than Amarok

And why're you still using bloatware?

--
Michal Sawicz <[hidden email]>

Re: I was thinking last night and....

Timothy Collins-2
Amarok runs on my system quite fast, it handles podcats (Which is my main reason to use a piece of software such as this) and has lots of "shininess"...

2008/5/20 Brandon Perry <[hidden email]>:
The interface for trunk is _so much better_ than Amarok IMO.

2008/5/20 Michal Sawicz <[hidden email]>:
Dnia 2008-05-20, wto o godzinie 14:03 -0400, Timothy Collins pisze:
> a better interface than Amarok

And why're you still using bloatware?

--
Michal Sawicz <[hidden email]>

Re: I was thinking last night and....

Josiah Ritchie-3
2008/5/20 Timothy Collins <[hidden email]>:
> I just realized that the last post was kind of snippy - sorry, I didn't mean
> it to be. Honestly, if Banshee offers me a new feature or a better interface
> than Amarok, I will be happy to come back to Banshee...

If all you really want is a good podcast player for work, you might
use Google Reader until Banshee comes to your desired stability. :-)
It works as long as you can use the flash player. Even has the pop-out
capability. Amarok is kinda heavy for a podcatcher.

JSR/

--
Our Mission
Technology and Hospitality for God's Workmen

Re: I was thinking last night and....

Timothy Collins-2
Google doesn't sync with my MP3 Player... Amarok does.

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 2:33 PM, Josiah Ritchie <[hidden email]> wrote:
2008/5/20 Timothy Collins <[hidden email]>:
> I just realized that the last post was kind of snippy - sorry, I didn't mean
> it to be. Honestly, if Banshee offers me a new feature or a better interface
> than Amarok, I will be happy to come back to Banshee...

If all you really want is a good podcast player for work, you might
use Google Reader until Banshee comes to your desired stability. :-)
It works as long as you can use the flash player. Even has the pop-out
capability. Amarok is kinda heavy for a podcatcher.

JSR/

--
Our Mission
Technology and Hospitality for God's Workmen
http://missions.ritchietribe.net

Re: I was thinking last night and....

Josiah Ritchie-3
2008/5/20 Timothy Collins <[hidden email]>:
> Google doesn't sync with my MP3 Player... Amarok does.

:-) Yeah, that's a requirement that would take something else. I
thought you were listening to them from a desktop.

--
Our Mission
Technology and Hospitality for God's Workmen
http://missions.ritchietribe.net

Re: I was thinking last night and....

"Andrés G. Aragoneses"
LCID Fire wrote:
> Patryk Zawadzki wrote:
>> 2008/5/20 Timothy Collins <[hidden email]>:
>>> What would be a fun plug in for Banshee : When the user starts a MP3 file,
>>> the plug in goes out to youtube, does a search and, if it finds it,
>>> automatically plays the video that corresponds to the music in place of the
>>> album art...

I don't believe you! :) Basically because I had the same idea yesterday
and in fact I talked about it today in #banshee channel with some people
(patoh, hyperair) :D  I bet you were there ;)

>> That would either result in crappy sound (if you use the one from
>> video stream) or no synchronization (if you use the mp3).

Why no synchronization? If the plugin looked at the best match (same
duration as the song) maybe the sync is right. Am I missing something?

> I think we agree upon NOT using the sound of the video stream. Having a
> non synchronized video stream does not seem that bad to me - with one
> exception. If you really integrate such a feature I'll probably be
> distracted very often by just watching the video.
> Honestly - I think the idea is great :)

Yeah, well, ideas doesn't have credits in the end so I'm thinking in
using it for HackWeek. Anyone which wants to join me?

        Andres

Re: I was thinking last night and....

Chow Loong Jin
Andrés G. Aragoneses wrote:
> LCID Fire wrote:
>> Patryk Zawadzki wrote:
>>> That would either result in crappy sound (if you use the one from
>>> video stream) or no synchronization (if you use the mp3).
>
> Why no synchronization? If the plugin looked at the best match (same
> duration as the song) maybe the sync is right. Am I missing something?

Yes you are. Latency issues come to play when streaming. You can't
expect a video to load smoothly all the time. So the mp3 will play while
the video lags behind.

--
Hyperair

Hyperair wrote:

> Andrés G. Aragoneses wrote:
>> LCID Fire wrote:
>> Why no synchronization? If the plugin looked at the best match (same
>> duration as the song) maybe the sync is right. Am I missing something?
>>
> Yes you are. Latency issues come to play when streaming. You can't
> expect a video to load smoothly all the time. So the mp3 will play while
> the video lags behind.
That's a little to generally speaking. First of it is a matter of
connection speed.
When you have a full Mbit of downstream there mostly is no lagging. That
being said - you are right that it makes near to zero sense for people
having a ISDN or so connection.
So let's assume you have a decend connection - there will probably be 2
problems:
1. The video edit is different from the song's music. This is quite
common - but like I mentioned earlier - I think this is not that much of
a problem (at least for me it's fine ;) ).
2. You really have a lag with your connection - which means the video
stops till it has a synced frame again. Also it should do precaching
similar to the youtube site.

Which brings me to a whole other point - is there yet any free library
that supports youtube's video streaming? The last I heard is that it's
not implemented (latest flash video streaming I mean).

Did you recognize that this is one of the longest discussions lately ;) SCNR
12