Quantcast

Historical Podcast Archive

Freeman
Hi,

Viva Banshee. I have little reason left to boot into windows.

However I have an archive of podcasts in "iTunes for windows" that tracks
10-20 podcasts as far back as early 2007.

Is there a method to import this archive into Banshee in tact?

Or must I side-rail the existing archive as a directory tree for manual
browsing and restart the podcasts within Banshee.

The latter is a depressing option.

Restart points can vary from the most recent podcast on one server to the
first podcast of years ago on another server.  Also naming conventions and
download times can vary so much, even within the same podcasts, that a raw
list of files in a directory can be wildly out of order by any sort method.

If necessary, maybe there is an app that can organize files by meta data?

Freeman

"Microsoft is not the answer. Microsoft is the question. NO (or Linux) is the
answer." --Somebody

Re: Historical Podcast Archive

olivier dufour
Hi,

AFAIK, you can import podcast as a video/music but banshee do not support import in podcast currentyl.

Olivier Dufour

On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 11:34 PM, Freeman <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I suspected so.

Maybe somebody will write a plugin for importing big podcast archives
someday!

On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 08:29:24PM +0200, olivier dufour wrote:

> Hi,
>
> AFAIK, you can import podcast as a video/music but banshee do not support
> import in podcast currentyl.
>
> Olivier Dufour
>

> On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 11:34 PM, Freeman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Viva Banshee. I have little reason left to boot into windows.
> >
> > However I have an archive of podcasts in "iTunes for windows" that tracks
> > 10-20 podcasts as far back as early 2007.
> >
> > Is there a method to import this archive into Banshee in tact?
> >
> > Or must I side-rail the existing archive as a directory tree for manual
> > browsing and restart the podcasts within Banshee.
> >
> > The latter is a depressing option.
> >
> > Restart points can vary from the most recent podcast on one server to the
> > first podcast of years ago on another server.  Also naming conventions and
> > download times can vary so much, even within the same podcasts, that a raw
> > list of files in a directory can be wildly out of order by any sort method.
> >
> > If necessary, maybe there is an app that can organize files by meta data?
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> > Freeman
> >
> > "Microsoft is not the answer. Microsoft is the question. NO (or Linux) is
> > the
> > answer." --Somebody

Re: Historical Podcast Archive

Gabriel Burt
You could write a patch to our existing iTunes importer:

http://git.gnome.org/browse/banshee/tree/src/Extensions/Banshee.PlayerMigration/Banshee.PlayerMigration/ItunesPlayerImportSource.cs

Or at least file an enhancement bug request for this.

Gabriel

On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 10:14 PM, Freeman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I suspected so.
>
> Maybe somebody will write a plugin for importing big podcast archives
> someday!
>
> --
> Regards,
> Freeman
>
> "Microsoft is not the answer. Microsoft is the question. NO (or Linux) is the
> answer." --Somebody
>
> On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 08:29:24PM +0200, olivier dufour wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> AFAIK, you can import podcast as a video/music but banshee do not support
>> import in podcast currentyl.
>>
>> Olivier Dufour
>>

>> On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 11:34 PM, Freeman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Viva Banshee. I have little reason left to boot into windows.
>> >
>> > However I have an archive of podcasts in "iTunes for windows" that tracks
>> > 10-20 podcasts as far back as early 2007.
>> >
>> > Is there a method to import this archive into Banshee in tact?
>> >
>> > Or must I side-rail the existing archive as a directory tree for manual
>> > browsing and restart the podcasts within Banshee.
>> >
>> > The latter is a depressing option.
>> >
>> > Restart points can vary from the most recent podcast on one server to the
>> > first podcast of years ago on another server.  Also naming conventions and
>> > download times can vary so much, even within the same podcasts, that a raw
>> > list of files in a directory can be wildly out of order by any sort method.
>> >
>> > If necessary, maybe there is an app that can organize files by meta data?
>> >
>> > --
>> > Regards,
>> > Freeman
>> >
>> > "Microsoft is not the answer. Microsoft is the question. NO (or Linux) is
>> > the
>> > answer." --Somebody

Re: Historical Podcast Archive

Freeman
Thanks!

I hadn't looked much farther into things than what's on my distro, Debian.

It would be nice to make a contribution if it is not to far over my head. :)

Freeman

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 12:28:36PM -0500, Gabriel Burt wrote:

> You could write a patch to our existing iTunes importer:
>
> http://git.gnome.org/browse/banshee/tree/src/Extensions/Banshee.PlayerMigration/Banshee.PlayerMigration/ItunesPlayerImportSource.cs
>
> Or at least file an enhancement bug request for this.
>
> Gabriel
>
> On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 10:14 PM, Freeman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I suspected so.
> >
> > Maybe somebody will write a plugin for importing big podcast archives
> > someday!
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> > Freeman
> >
> > "Microsoft is not the answer. Microsoft is the question. NO (or Linux) is the
> > answer." --Somebody
> >
> > On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 08:29:24PM +0200, olivier dufour wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> AFAIK, you can import podcast as a video/music but banshee do not support
> >> import in podcast currentyl.
> >>
> >> Olivier Dufour

"Microsoft is not the answer. Microsoft is the question. NO (or Linux) is the
answer." --Somebody

Re: Historical Podcast Archive

Freddy-N
If a webserver is running on your computer you can import your old files as a "fake-podcast".

Put your files together with a playlist (xml-feed, m3u,...) into a directory of your webserver which can invoked via web "http://localhost/..." and import this URL with Banshee.

It is also possible to "fake" existing Podcasts. Add an entry into /etc/hosts to redirect the podcast domain (www.*****.***/***) to your local computer (127.0.0.*/***).  After this you have to build the same directory structure with your webserver in order to get the podcast URL working.

On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 08:22:04AM -0700, Freddy-N wrote:

> If a webserver is running on your computer you can import your old files as a
> "fake-podcast".
>
> Put your files together with a playlist (xml-feed, m3u,...) into a directory
> of your webserver which can invoked via web "http://localhost/..." and
> import this URL with Banshee.
>
> It is also possible to "fake" existing Podcasts. Add an entry into
> /etc/hosts to redirect the podcast domain (www.*****.***/***) to your local
> computer (127.0.0.*/***).  After this you have to build the same directory
> structure with your webserver in order to get the podcast URL working.

Brilliant.

I am going to try the former. I think the latter will be problematic because
of php redirects in NPR's podcasts.