Help! All track information erased when I move a file to a different folder

Help! All track information erased when I move a file to a different folder

cryingshame
Hello, I searched the forum and read the FAQ but couldn't find information about this. If it has been answered elsewhere I would be grateful for a link. Basically I have a large music collection and often move things from my laptop to an external hard drive and the other way round. I've just spent longer than I'd like to admit filling in the minute details of loads of different tracks, moved the files to their final destination, re-imported them and all the information is gone! I will understand if it's impossible to get the work back, but is there any way to avoid this in future? I'm really about to cry. I'm using Banshee 2.6.2 on a Linux Mint 17.2. Would be grateful for any assistance.

Best, Scott

Re: Help! All track information erased when I move a file to a different folder

IBBoard
I don't know if Banshee keeps the data in its database, or whether it
deletes all records when a file is "missing" (i.e. isn't at the path it
was originally imported for) but it sounds like you need the "sync"
options in "File Policies" for future.

Go to Edit > Preferences and tick "Sync metadata between library and
files". After that, all changes to metadata should be saved into files
(note: I don't *think* it saves existing metadata from the library to
the file when you tick that box)

On 30/01/16 14:50, Scott Lenney wrote:

> Hello, I searched the forum and read the FAQ but couldn't find
> information about this. If it has been answered elsewhere I would be
> grateful for a link. Basically I have a large music collection and often
> move things from my laptop to an external hard drive and the other way
> round. I've just spent longer than I'd like to admit filling in the
> minute details of loads of different tracks, moved the files to their
> final destination, re-imported them and all the information is gone! I
> will understand if it's impossible to get the work back, but is there
> any way to avoid this in future? I'm really about to cry. I'm using
> Banshee 2.6.2 on a Linux Mint 17.2. Would be grateful for any assistance.
>
> Best, Scott

Re: Help! All track information erased when I move a file to a different folder

cryingshame
Thanks, but that hasn't seemed to work. I ticked the specified box, edited the title of a track, removed it from the library, imported it and it had reverted to the original title.

On Sat, Jan 30, 2016 at 10:08 AM, IBBoard <[hidden email]> wrote:
I don't know if Banshee keeps the data in its database, or whether it
deletes all records when a file is "missing" (i.e. isn't at the path it
was originally imported for) but it sounds like you need the "sync"
options in "File Policies" for future.

Go to Edit > Preferences and tick "Sync metadata between library and
files". After that, all changes to metadata should be saved into files
(note: I don't *think* it saves existing metadata from the library to
the file when you tick that box)

On 30/01/16 14:50, Scott Lenney wrote:
> Hello, I searched the forum and read the FAQ but couldn't find
> information about this. If it has been answered elsewhere I would be
> grateful for a link. Basically I have a large music collection and often
> move things from my laptop to an external hard drive and the other way
> round. I've just spent longer than I'd like to admit filling in the
> minute details of loads of different tracks, moved the files to their
> final destination, re-imported them and all the information is gone! I
> will understand if it's impossible to get the work back, but is there
> any way to avoid this in future? I'm really about to cry. I'm using
> Banshee 2.6.2 on a Linux Mint 17.2. Would be grateful for any assistance.
>
> Best, Scott

Re: Help! All track information erased when I move a file to a different folder

cryingshame
No it has worked! Sorry, don't know what went wrong first time, but I've just tried it again. Thanks!