Have development of banshee halted or slowed significantly?

Have development of banshee halted or slowed significantly?

Roka Hasch
Long time now since even the latest beta release. I've also checked the git, and development judging from the commit log have really crawled to a halt the latest year or so.

Time for all users to migrate to other players that keep getting developed?

Re: Have development of banshee halted or slowed significantly?

el_garicimo
Possibly. I'm just getting into development myself, and relatively new to linux in general, only been using it for about a year and a half sparingly, in windows most of the time.

If you find a good alternative that is under active development, I would love to know! till then, Banshee works for me, and I'm happy as is.

On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 4:30 PM Roka Hasch <[hidden email]> wrote:
Long time now since even the latest beta release. I've also checked the git, and development judging from the commit log have really crawled to a halt the latest year or so.

Time for all users to migrate to other players that keep getting developed?

Re: Have development of banshee halted or slowed significantly?

Roka Hasch
I will actually look into clementine this weekend, which haven't got a major release in over a year now but is still developed heavily  judging from  their git log. Play counts and stars written to mp3s by banshee gets imported. Play lists seems to import good. However play counts and ratings from my flacs doesn't import from banshee written file tags. But there's a script out there which says to be able to import to clementine from the banshee db (that's what I'm going to test).

Seems stable enough. Banshee crashes approx every six hours of playtime for me (database with over 150 000 songs). Clementine haven't crashed yet. Not as fast as banshee though, which handles all my smart play lists etc instantly when browsing, resorting etc.

Would be great to hear from the developers of banshee though before I jump ship. Wasn't the project funded by some company before (novell?)?

On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 4:30 PM Roka Hasch <<a href="javascript:_e(%7B%7D,&#39;cvml&#39;,&#39;rokahasch@gmail.com&#39;);" target="_blank">rokahasch@...> wrote:
Long time now since even the latest beta release. I've also checked the git, and development judging from the commit log have really crawled to a halt the latest year or so.

Time for all users to migrate to other players that keep getting developed?

Re: Have development of banshee halted or slowed significantly?

IBBoard
Have you reported the crashing issues as a bug and supplied logs?

Yeah, Banshee doesn't have the updates as frequently as it used to, but
to be honest then I think it does 99% of what 99% of its audience need.
Once you've got your feature list covered then releases will always drop
off.

There's only so much that you can add to an app without it becoming
monstrous and bloated!

On 14/04/15 17:36, Roka Hasch wrote:

> I will actually look into clementine this weekend, which haven't got a
> major release in over a year now but is still developed heavily  judging
> from  their git log. Play counts and stars written to mp3s by banshee
> gets imported. Play lists seems to import good. However play counts and
> ratings from my flacs doesn't import from banshee written file tags. But
> there's a script out there which says to be able to import to clementine
> from the banshee db (that's what I'm going to test).
>
> Seems stable enough. Banshee crashes approx every six hours of playtime
> for me (database with over 150 000 songs). Clementine haven't crashed
> yet. Not as fast as banshee though, which handles all my smart play
> lists etc instantly when browsing, resorting etc.
>
> Would be great to hear from the developers of banshee though before I
> jump ship. Wasn't the project funded by some company before (novell?)?
>
> On Tuesday, April 14, 2015, Garrett Simpson <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Possibly. I'm just getting into development myself, and relatively
>     new to linux in general, only been using it for about a year and a
>     half sparingly, in windows most of the time.
>
>     If you find a good alternative that is under active development, I
>     would love to know! till then, Banshee works for me, and I'm happy
>     as is.
>
>     On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 4:30 PM Roka Hasch <[hidden email]
>     <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','[hidden email]');>> wrote:
>
>         Long time now since even the latest beta release. I've also
>         checked the git, and development judging from the commit log
>         have really crawled to a halt the latest year or so.
>
>         Time for all users to migrate to other players that keep getting
>         developed?

Re: Have development of banshee halted or slowed significantly?

Adam  Tauno Williams
Quoting IBBoard <[hidden email]>:
> Have you reported the crashing issues as a bug and supplied logs?

I never have Banshee crashes.

> Yeah, Banshee doesn't have the updates as frequently as it used to, but
> to be honest then I think it does 99% of what 99% of its audience need.
> Once you've got your feature list covered then releases will always drop
> off.
> There's only so much that you can add to an app without it becoming
> monstrous and bloated!

On the other hand it has some long standing stability issues that have
been reported here frequently with no feedback.  The
spin-hard-on-first-start problem is starting to get annoying, and
there is little hope it will get fixed.

I say that as a long-time Banshee fan... but the Mono apps in general
[also F-Spot] are seeming to bit-rot.

> On 14/04/15 17:36, Roka Hasch wrote:
>> I will actually look into clementine this weekend, which haven't got a
>> major release in over a year now but is still developed heavily  judging
>> from  their git log. Play counts and stars written to mp3s by banshee
>> gets imported. Play lists seems to import good. However play counts and
>> ratings from my flacs doesn't import from banshee written file tags. But
>> there's a script out there which says to be able to import to clementine
>> from the banshee db (that's what I'm going to test).
>>
>> Seems stable enough. Banshee crashes approx every six hours of playtime
>> for me (database with over 150 000 songs). Clementine haven't crashed
>> yet. Not as fast as banshee though, which handles all my smart play
>> lists etc instantly when browsing, resorting etc.
>>
>> Would be great to hear from the developers of banshee though before I
>> jump ship. Wasn't the project funded by some company before (novell?)?
>>
>> On Tuesday, April 14, 2015, Garrett Simpson <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>>     Possibly. I'm just getting into development myself, and relatively
>>     new to linux in general, only been using it for about a year and a
>>     half sparingly, in windows most of the time.
>>
>>     If you find a good alternative that is under active development, I
>>     would love to know! till then, Banshee works for me, and I'm happy
>>     as is.
>>
>>     On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 4:30 PM Roka Hasch <[hidden email]
>>     <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','[hidden email]');>> wrote:
>>
>>         Long time now since even the latest beta release. I've also
>>         checked the git, and development judging from the commit log
>>         have really crawled to a halt the latest year or so.
>>
>>         Time for all users to migrate to other players that keep getting
>>         developed?

Re: Have development of banshee halted or slowed significantly?

Kevin Anthony

I've been waiting to a stable gtk3 release

It uses gstreamer1.0 which fixes some bugs including bpm detection.

<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

    Possibly. I'm just getting into development myself, and relatively
    new to linux in general, only been using it for about a year and a
    half sparingly, in windows most of the time.

    If you find a good alternative that is under active development, I
    would love to know! till then, Banshee works for me, and I'm happy
    as is.

    On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 4:30 PM Roka Hasch <[hidden email]
    <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','[hidden email]');>> wrote:

        Long time now since even the latest beta release. I've also
        checked the git, and development judging from the commit log
        have really crawled to a halt the latest year or so.

        Time for all users to migrate to other players that keep getting
        developed?

Re: Have development of banshee halted or slowed significantly?

Chow Loong Jin-2
On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 04:46:00PM -0400, Kevin Anthony wrote:
> I've been waiting to a stable gtk3 release
>
> It uses gstreamer1.0 which fixes some bugs including bpm detection.

Hmm? What bugfixes are those? All the BPM-related crashes I've been seeing have
been in the same soundtouch library that both gstreamer0.10 and gstreamer1.0 are
using.

--
Kind regards,
Loong Jin