HOWTO: Manually creating cover art

Stephen Holmes
Folks,
You'll have noticed that you can't yet drag cover art onto a track/album
on Banshee-1.  This feature will be back soon, but in the meantime if
your device is screaming for some visual love, then here's what you need
to do...

1.  Power up a browser and head to Amazon, selecting the Music option in
the dropdown
2.  Match your Banshee album title with the album in Amazon and select
(where available) the larger of the coverarts available
3.  Right-click on the image in the browser and select "Save Image
As..."

4.  The image is named as follows...

    {Artist Name}-{Album Name}

To correctly form this name however, you need to lowercase everything
and remove spaces and punctuation marks.   Examples...

    A.  Artist "Barenaked Ladies", Album "Disc One: All Their Greatest
Hits: 1991-2001" would have a cover art file name of "
barenakedladies-disconealltheirgreatesthits19912001.jpg"

    B.  Artist "Fun Lovin' Criminals", Album "Come Find Yourself" would
become "funlovincriminals-comefindyourself.jpg"

5.  Copy these files (or save them directly) to ~/.cache/album-art
6.  Banshee will pick up the image art next time around.

Cheers
Steve

Re: HOWTO: Manually creating cover art

espresso
Stephen Holmes wrote:

> Folks,
> You'll have noticed that you can't yet drag cover art onto a track/album
> on Banshee-1.  This feature will be back soon, but in the meantime if
> your device is screaming for some visual love, then here's what you need
> to do...
>
> 1.  Power up a browser and head to Amazon, selecting the Music option in
> the dropdown
> 2.  Match your Banshee album title with the album in Amazon and select
> (where available) the larger of the coverarts available
> 3.  Right-click on the image in the browser and select "Save Image
> As..."
>
> 4.  The image is named as follows...
>
>     {Artist Name}-{Album Name}
>
> To correctly form this name however, you need to lowercase everything
> and remove spaces and punctuation marks.   Examples...
>
>     A.  Artist "Barenaked Ladies", Album "Disc One: All Their Greatest
> Hits: 1991-2001" would have a cover art file name of "
> barenakedladies-disconealltheirgreatesthits19912001.jpg"
>
>     B.  Artist "Fun Lovin' Criminals", Album "Come Find Yourself" would
> become "funlovincriminals-comefindyourself.jpg"
>
> 5.  Copy these files (or save them directly) to ~/.cache/album-art
> 6.  Banshee will pick up the image art next time around.

Thanks for the information. This could get problematic if you have a lot
of remixed stuff though.

jon

Re: HOWTO: Manually creating cover art

Stephen Holmes
Agreed!  This is for straightforward rip and sync!

Might be an idea to script a helper converter.  Also it's a pain if you
have an album like Version-Mark Ronson, where every track but three has
other participants meaning that the artist-album thing won't work.

S.

On Fri, 2008-06-13 at 16:26 -0700, Jon Cosby wrote:

> Stephen Holmes wrote:
> > Folks,
> > You'll have noticed that you can't yet drag cover art onto a track/album
> > on Banshee-1.  This feature will be back soon, but in the meantime if
> > your device is screaming for some visual love, then here's what you need
> > to do...
> >
> > 1.  Power up a browser and head to Amazon, selecting the Music option in
> > the dropdown
> > 2.  Match your Banshee album title with the album in Amazon and select
> > (where available) the larger of the coverarts available
> > 3.  Right-click on the image in the browser and select "Save Image
> > As..."
> >
> > 4.  The image is named as follows...
> >
> >     {Artist Name}-{Album Name}
> >
> > To correctly form this name however, you need to lowercase everything
> > and remove spaces and punctuation marks.   Examples...
> >
> >     A.  Artist "Barenaked Ladies", Album "Disc One: All Their Greatest
> > Hits: 1991-2001" would have a cover art file name of "
> > barenakedladies-disconealltheirgreatesthits19912001.jpg"
> >
> >     B.  Artist "Fun Lovin' Criminals", Album "Come Find Yourself" would
> > become "funlovincriminals-comefindyourself.jpg"
> >
> > 5.  Copy these files (or save them directly) to ~/.cache/album-art
> > 6.  Banshee will pick up the image art next time around.
> >

> Thanks for the information. This could get problematic if you have a lot
> of remixed stuff though.
>

> jon

Re: HOWTO: Manually creating cover art

Nyall Dawson
I've given a bit of thought to the whole cover-art issue, and IMO the
proper solution to the problem is to change the artist-album naming
convention to an albumartist-album format. This would then fix cover art
for compilation/various artist albums, and also coverart when tracks
have an artist tag that's slightly different to the rest of the album
(ie, the Mark Ronson example Stephen gave).

Of course, this relies on Banshee understanding and correctly handling
albumartist tags. Again, IMO, the best way to do this is:

- For tracks with musicbrainz "Album Artist" tags, or with the assorted
variations on this tag (albumartist, band, etc...), use this as the
basis for the album artist field. This way, people with their music
properly tagged will see the desired organization, with compilation
albums being correctly grouped together

- For any tracks without any variation of the album artist tag, just
copy the artist tag to the album artist field. This means,
unfortunately, that compilation albums will still be split up across the
artists. HOWEVER, it's no worse than the current banshee behaviour, and
it will only affect ppl with poorly-tagged collections. To generalize,
if someone's got a badly tagged collection, they're probably not going
to notice/care about this :P (If ppl have questions on why their
collection isn't appearing properly, we can direct them to tools like
musicbrainz' picard.)

That's my ideal banshee behaviour anyway! :)

Nyall

On Sat, 2008-06-14 at 00:31 +0100, Stephen Holmes wrote:

> Agreed!  This is for straightforward rip and sync!
>
> Might be an idea to script a helper converter.  Also it's a pain if you
> have an album like Version-Mark Ronson, where every track but three has
> other participants meaning that the artist-album thing won't work.
>
> S.
>

> On Fri, 2008-06-13 at 16:26 -0700, Jon Cosby wrote:
> > Stephen Holmes wrote:
> > > Folks,
> > > You'll have noticed that you can't yet drag cover art onto a track/album
> > > on Banshee-1.  This feature will be back soon, but in the meantime if
> > > your device is screaming for some visual love, then here's what you need
> > > to do...
> > >
> > > 1.  Power up a browser and head to Amazon, selecting the Music option in
> > > the dropdown
> > > 2.  Match your Banshee album title with the album in Amazon and select
> > > (where available) the larger of the coverarts available
> > > 3.  Right-click on the image in the browser and select "Save Image
> > > As..."
> > >
> > > 4.  The image is named as follows...
> > >
> > >     {Artist Name}-{Album Name}
> > >
> > > To correctly form this name however, you need to lowercase everything
> > > and remove spaces and punctuation marks.   Examples...
> > >
> > >     A.  Artist "Barenaked Ladies", Album "Disc One: All Their Greatest
> > > Hits: 1991-2001" would have a cover art file name of "
> > > barenakedladies-disconealltheirgreatesthits19912001.jpg"
> > >
> > >     B.  Artist "Fun Lovin' Criminals", Album "Come Find Yourself" would
> > > become "funlovincriminals-comefindyourself.jpg"
> > >
> > > 5.  Copy these files (or save them directly) to ~/.cache/album-art
> > > 6.  Banshee will pick up the image art next time around.
> > >

> > Thanks for the information. This could get problematic if you have a lot
> > of remixed stuff though.
> >

> > jon

Re: HOWTO: Manually creating cover art

Nyall Dawson
I forgot to add - since Banshee defaults to using MusicBrainz data for
newly-ripped CDs, anyone who rips their collection using Banshee will
see the desired behaviour without having to think about anything :)

> I've given a bit of thought to the whole cover-art issue, and IMO the
> proper solution to the problem is to change the artist-album naming
> convention to an albumartist-album format. This would then fix cover art
> for compilation/various artist albums, and also coverart when tracks
> have an artist tag that's slightly different to the rest of the album
> (ie, the Mark Ronson example Stephen gave).
>
> Of course, this relies on Banshee understanding and correctly handling
> albumartist tags. Again, IMO, the best way to do this is:
>
> - For tracks with musicbrainz "Album Artist" tags, or with the assorted
> variations on this tag (albumartist, band, etc...), use this as the
> basis for the album artist field. This way, people with their music
> properly tagged will see the desired organization, with compilation
> albums being correctly grouped together
>
> - For any tracks without any variation of the album artist tag, just
> copy the artist tag to the album artist field. This means,
> unfortunately, that compilation albums will still be split up across the
> artists. HOWEVER, it's no worse than the current banshee behaviour, and
> it will only affect ppl with poorly-tagged collections. To generalize,
> if someone's got a badly tagged collection, they're probably not going
> to notice/care about this :P (If ppl have questions on why their
> collection isn't appearing properly, we can direct them to tools like
> musicbrainz' picard.)
>
> That's my ideal banshee behaviour anyway! :)
>
> Nyall
>

> On Sat, 2008-06-14 at 00:31 +0100, Stephen Holmes wrote:
> > Agreed!  This is for straightforward rip and sync!
> >
> > Might be an idea to script a helper converter.  Also it's a pain if you
> > have an album like Version-Mark Ronson, where every track but three has
> > other participants meaning that the artist-album thing won't work.
> >
> > S.

> > > Thanks for the information. This could get problematic if you have a lot
> > > of remixed stuff though.
> > >

> > > jon

Update on Fleow

Mathijs Dumon
Hey there!

I've recieved word from Thomas van Machelen, he's going to update the C#bindings sometime soon, so I started planning a little more.
Basicly I'd love it if somebody could explain me the inner workings of the current Album selector (it's model, the rendering etc.)

I just figured that if could extend the rendering part of the current Album selector (using Clutter), or make the implementation of the album renedering more abstract so it can be changed on the fly, implementing a cover flow or any other type of visualising would become a lot easier (e.g. via a Gtk.Drawable-derived class)

so some information on:
- the relation of the classes involved
- the way album art is stored and cached (Pixbufs? streamed/read from disk on the fly?)
- the rendering of the album art selector

thanks a lot!

Greetz,
mat

Blijf onderweg online met Windows Live for Mobile! Download 't nu op jouw mobiele telefoon.