Foldersync with smart playlists /Fake music player

Foldersync with smart playlists /Fake music player

inigo_fdez
I'd like to sync a folder with a banshee smart playlist.

As the foldersync extension doesn't work with smart playlists, I've thought of creating a "virtual" music player so that banshee would give the option to sync the whole library to it, or just a playlist.

Would it be possible?

If not, is the foldersync extension going to support smart playlists in next releases?

Re: Foldersync with smart playlists /Fake music player

Timo Dörr
2013/1/4 inigo_fdez <[hidden email]>:

> I'd like to sync a folder with a banshee smart playlist.
>
> As the foldersync extension doesn't work with smart playlists, I've thought
> of creating a "virtual" music player so that banshee would give the option
> to sync the whole library to it, or just a playlist.
>
> Would it be possible?
>
> If not, is the foldersync extension going to support smart playlists in next
> releases?

As a workaround, you can always create an empty (non-smart) playlist,
then go to the smart playlist, select all items via Ctrl+A, and drag
the files into the new empty list. Then sync that non-smart playlist
(which has now the the same content as the smart one).

I've written the FolderSync plugin and am currently not planing to add
smart playlist support to it. I'd rather do, as you suggested, a
"virtual fake player" which allows putting any directory as a player
into Banshee and sync to it using the regular sync function. This
actually already works for the OS X port using a .is_audioplayer file
and sshfs. I've blogged about it here:
http://exceptionrethrown.wordpress.com/2012/07/20/gsoc-progress-report-4-midterm-passed/

To make that work on Linux, one could interface the udisk
(http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/udisks) API to detect
attaching of disks, or try to interface with gnome-vfs to detect
disks. A "disk" does not necessarily reflect a physical disc, but
could be any ssh mounted folder and also local folders via loopback
mount.

Greetz,

Timo

Re: Foldersync with smart playlists /Fake music player

donniezazen
Are you sure if Foldersync even works at all? As I posted a few weeks ago, even basic sync function with non-smart playlist doesn't work.
Amor cuerdo, no es Amor.

2013/1/8 donniezazen <[hidden email]>:
> Are you sure if Foldersync even works at all? As I posted a few weeks ago,
> even basic sync function with non-smart playlist doesn't work.

Yes, I can assure it works in general, and there is also feedback
about it on the mailinglist. I've read your report on the mailing
list, but can not reproduce it, could you please report it as a bug
and set me CC on the bug report ([hidden email]). See
http://banshee.fm/contribute/file-bugs/ for more info on reporting
bugs.

Greetz,

Timo

Re: Foldersync with smart playlists /Fake music player

donniezazen
I am using Webupd8's Go-mtpfs package to mount my Android (Nexus 4) phone's storage in /media/MyAndroid from where all files are available inside "Internal Storage" folder.

I have created a .is_audio_player file as suggested in your post. Does it have to be mounted in some particular folder to be recognized by Banshee as a media player?

Thanks.
Amor cuerdo, no es Amor.