FINALLY!!! Banshee for Windows

feinar
HI.
Have used Banshee earlier with Ubuntu and was extremly satisfied with that. So when I switched to new job I got stuck with windows again. Checked then if banshee was avaliable for windows, but it was not at that time. So today, long time since I checked, it was!! Although in an Alpha version but it workes fine to me! Thank you to whom it may concern!! You made my day!

Will check it out and report bugs if I find some!

Regards
Rolf
Regards
Rolf

Re: FINALLY!!! Banshee for Windows

Adam  Tauno Williams
On Thu, 2013-04-25 at 05:43 -0700, feinar wrote:
> HI.
> Have used Banshee earlier with Ubuntu and was extremly satisfied with that.
> So when I switched to new job I got stuck with windows again. Checked then
> if banshee was avaliable for windows, but it was not at that time. So today,
> long time since I checked, it was!! Although in an Alpha version but it
> workes fine to me! Thank you to whom it may concern!! You made my day!
> Will check it out and report bugs if I find some!

Sill using it on Windows?  How's it going?  I'd be interesting in some
follow-up information.

---
Adam Tauno Williams <mailto:[hidden email]> GPG D95ED383

Re: FINALLY!!! Banshee for Windows

feinar
HI.
Well there are some issues with this..

1. Update does not work (gets update alert on startup, but "download failed")

2. Have experienced a few crashes, especially when clicking alot around in library.

3. Seemes to be a problem playing mp3 files, flac is OK (witch I mostly use).

4. Clikcing on PLAY icon does not work, hit enter to start playback.

Import music works fine, hardly ever crashes when left alone for playback.

Anyway, I'm still happy to have this fine application for windows and will continue to use it welcoming any imrovements!

Thanks!

Let me know if you need more detailed information..
Regards
Rolf
rtX

Re: FINALLY!!! Banshee for Windows and AAC decoding

rtX
Like you I happily use Banshee on Linux.

I recently tried to move away from iTunes to Banshee on my Windows machine, and get similar update message issues etc. but also when I try to play AAC encoded music (which is most of my music), I get the message "Missing GStreamer Plugin MPEG-4 AAC decoder".  I understand what this means but, t.b.h. I am a bit clueless about why I get it.  I have tried installing (independently) both the 64 and 32 bit versions of GStreamer for Windows from http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/pkg/windows/1.0.7/ but subsequently Banshee still reports the same issue.  Also, having given the error message it seems to try to play the track anyway, although nothing actually happens other than the play/pause icon changing.

Is there any news about a beta or RC version of Banshee for Windows?

On Thu, 2013-06-13 at 03:59 -0700, rtX wrote:

> Like you I happily use Banshee on Linux.
> I recently tried to move away from iTunes to Banshee on my Windows machine,
> and get similar update message issues etc. but also when I try to play AAC
> encoded music (which is most of my music), I get the message "Missing
> GStreamer Plugin MPEG-4 AAC decoder".  I understand what this means but,
> t.b.h. I am a bit clueless about why I get it.  I have tried installing
> (independently) both the 64 and 32 bit versions of GStreamer for Windows
> from http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/pkg/windows/1.0.7/ but
> subsequently Banshee still reports the same issue.  Also, having given the
> error message it seems to try to play the track anyway, although nothing
> actually happens other than the play/pause icon changing
> Is there any news about a beta or RC version of Banshee for Windows?

Codecs are a nightmare on any/every platform.  I'd suggest asking on the
gstreamer list;  someone is more likely to know something there [I'd
really expect the codec to already be there on Windows...]

---
Adam Tauno Williams <mailto:[hidden email]> GPG D95ED383

Re: FINALLY!!! Banshee for Windows and AAC decoding

Chow Loong Jin-2
On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 02:17:56PM -0400, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:

> On Thu, 2013-06-13 at 03:59 -0700, rtX wrote:
> > Like you I happily use Banshee on Linux.
> > I recently tried to move away from iTunes to Banshee on my Windows machine,
> > and get similar update message issues etc. but also when I try to play AAC
> > encoded music (which is most of my music), I get the message "Missing
> > GStreamer Plugin MPEG-4 AAC decoder".  I understand what this means but,
> > t.b.h. I am a bit clueless about why I get it.  I have tried installing
> > (independently) both the 64 and 32 bit versions of GStreamer for Windows
> > from http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/pkg/windows/1.0.7/ but
> > subsequently Banshee still reports the same issue.  Also, having given the
> > error message it seems to try to play the track anyway, although nothing
> > actually happens other than the play/pause icon changing
> > Is there any news about a beta or RC version of Banshee for Windows?
>
> Codecs are a nightmare on any/every platform.  I'd suggest asking on the
> gstreamer list;  someone is more likely to know something there [I'd
> really expect the codec to already be there on Windows...]
Not all platforms. GStreamer's got codec auto-installation hooks present and
implemented in most distros already.

--
Kind regards,
Loong Jin