Error when trying to sync a MTP device

dpitch40
I have enabled the "MTP Media Player Support" extension. When running Banshee from the command line and trying to sync a song to my Walkman (mounted via MTP/gvfs), I get the following output:

BansheeLog.txt

In particular, I get an error listing in Banshee which I think corresponds to the following error:

[Warn  11:50:34.792] Caught an exception - System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object (in `Mtp')
  at Mtp.Folder.HasAncestor (Mtp.Folder ancestor) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Mtp.Track.InFolder (Mtp.Folder folder, Boolean recursive) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Banshee.Dap.Mtp.MtpTrackInfo..ctor (Mtp.MtpDevice device, Mtp.Track file) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Banshee.Dap.Mtp.MtpSource.AddTrackToDevice (Banshee.Collection.Database.DatabaseTrackInfo track, Hyena.SafeUri fromUri) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Banshee.Dap.DapSource.AttemptToAddTrackToDevice (Banshee.Collection.Database.DatabaseTrackInfo track, Hyena.SafeUri fromUri) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Banshee.Dap.DapSource.AddTrackAndIncrementCount (Banshee.Collection.Database.DatabaseTrackInfo track) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Banshee.Sources.PrimarySource.AddTrackList (System.Object cached_list) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Besides the output, the actual behavior when syncing is strange. The track I'm trying to sync actually does appear to get put onto the device in the MUSIC folder, but there is no effort made to actually "sync" the playlist; the track is transferred onto the device even if it is already there. The flow of information seems to be strictly one-way. As well, Banshee sometimes crashes when trying to mount the device. The display of the total space usage of the device does not always show up, and when it does, the synced track(s) show up as "Other" rather than "Music". Any help would be greatly appreciated.

And if your answer is "update Banshee to version 2.9.1". then I ask that you either finally add it to the package system or give me detailed instructions on how to install it from source that a non-developer can follow. I have already tried unsuccessfully to install it from source, getting bogged down on a dependency of a dependency of a dependency or the like.

Re: Error when trying to sync a MTP device

dpitch40
I just noticed there are instructions for installing Banshee. I am now stuck on the following command:
david@MILTON:~/Downloads/banshee-2.9.1$ sudo apt-get build-dep banshee
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: You must put some 'source' URIs in your sources.list
I can't find anything about what to put in your sources.list file; mine is currently empty, apparently by default. What do i need to add?

Re: Error when trying to sync a MTP device

Nicholas Little

Yes, 2.9.1 is far better with MTP for certain models of device.

Unfortunately I run Gentoo and can't help with packaging.

Link to a build log and maybe we can help?

<http://banshee.fm/download/development/>   for installing Banshee. I am now
stuck on the following command:

I can't find anything about what to put in your sources.list file; mine is
currently empty, apparently by default. What do i need to add?

Re: Error when trying to sync a MTP device

dpitch40
I located the PPA it apparently wanted me to add to sources.list here: https://launchpad.net/~banshee-team/+archive/ubuntu/ppa

I am now stuck on running autogen.sh in the source distribution of 2.9.1. I get the following output when I try:

david@MILTON:~/Downloads/banshee-2.9.1$ ./autogen.sh
fatal: Not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git
Running intltoolize --force --copy ...
You should update your 'aclocal.m4' by running aclocal.
Running libtoolize --force --copy --automake ...
Running aclocal -I build/m4/banshee -I build/m4/shamrock -I build/m4/shave ...
Running autoconf ...
Running autoheader ...
Running automake --gnu --add-missing --force --copy -Wno-portability -Wno-portability ...
configure.ac:197: error: required file 'src/Hyena/Makefile.in' not found
configure.ac:197: error: required file 'src/Hyena/build/Makefile.in' not found
configure.ac:197: error: required file 'src/Hyena/build/pkg-config/Makefile.in' not found
configure.ac:197: error: required file 'src/Hyena/build/m4/Makefile.in' not found
configure.ac:197: error: required file 'src/Hyena/Hyena/Makefile.in' not found
configure.ac:197: error: required file 'src/Hyena/Hyena.Data.Sqlite/Makefile.in' not found
configure.ac:197: error: required file 'src/Hyena/Hyena.Gui/Makefile.in' not found
src/Backends/Banshee.GStreamer/libbanshee/Makefile.am:1: warning: 'INCLUDES' is the old name for 'AM_CPPFLAGS' (or '*_CPPFLAGS')
src/Backends/Banshee.Osx/Makefile.am:49: warning: MAINTAINERCLEANFILES was already defined in condition !PLATFORM_DARWIN, which is included in condition TRUE ...
build/build.dist.mk:22: ... 'MAINTAINERCLEANFILES' previously defined here
src/Backends/Banshee.Osx/Makefile.am:46:   'build/build.dist.mk' included from here
src/Clients/Booter/Makefile.am:22: warning: CLEANFILES multiply defined in condition TRUE ...
build/build.dist.mk:20: ... 'CLEANFILES' previously defined here
src/Clients/Booter/Makefile.am:6:   'build/build.mk' included from here
build/build.mk:10:   'build/build.dist.mk' included from here
src/Extensions/Banshee.NotificationArea/Makefile.am:2: warning: NOTIFY_SHARP_LIBS was already defined in condition TRUE, which includes condition EXTERNAL_NOTIFY_SHARP ...
configure.ac:88: ... 'NOTIFY_SHARP_LIBS' previously defined here
src/Extensions/Banshee.NotificationArea/Makefile.am:5: warning: NOTIFY_SHARP_LIBS was already defined in condition TRUE, which includes condition !EXTERNAL_NOTIFY_SHARP ...
src/Extensions/Banshee.NotificationArea/Makefile.am:2: ... 'NOTIFY_SHARP_LIBS' previously defined here
build/build.rules.mk:17: warning: run was already defined in condition TRUE, which includes condition REMOTE_AUDIO_ENABLED ...
src/Extensions/Banshee.RemoteAudio/Makefile.am:23:   'build/build.mk' included from here
build/build.mk:11:   'build/build.rules.mk' included from here
src/Extensions/Banshee.RemoteAudio/Makefile.am:17: ... 'run' previously defined here
Error: Could not run automake, which is required to configure banshee
The src/Hyena directory is empty in both the 2.9.0 and 2.9.1 distributions...I am guessing it isn't supposed to be. I can't tell if it's failing on anything else.

On 29 Mar 2015 00:32, "dpitch40" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I located the PPA it apparently wanted me to add to sources.list here:
> https://launchpad.net/~banshee-team/+archive/ubuntu/ppa

It probably makes no difference but can't you just clone the sources with git?

Get it built successfully first then worry about packaging.

> I am now stuck on running autogen.sh in the source distribution of 2.9.1. I
> get the following output when I try:
>

> The src/Hyena directory is empty in both the 2.9.0 and 2.9.1
> distributions...I am guessing it isn't supposed to be. I can't tell if it's
> failing on anything else.

No, that directory should have Hyena sources as a git submodule. Have you tried initializing submodules?