Building Banshee on OS X

David Nielsen
Since we are working on getting Banshee 3.0 to build on OS X here are the most up to date instructions.

0) Open your terminal

1) Install the compiler
xcode-select —install
(a window should pop up and guide you through the procedure)

2) Install git from http://git-scm.com/downloads (or just use the github tools, either should work)

3) Now clone Stephan’s repo.
mkdir -p ~/Documents/Projects
cd ~/Documents/Projects
git clone -b banshee https://github.com/stsundermann/bockbuild.git

4) Using bockbuild to build Banshee
cd ~/Documents/Projects/profiles/banshee
./darwin.py -bvr

Note:
I checked in some work in progress packages for libglade-gtk3 and webkit-gtk3, however I commented them out as they they do not build nor do that have all their dependencies fulfilled.

They are there as I am leaving for vacation and I figured it was better to have the work in progress public in case I don’t manage to fix them locally before I leave.

Also don’t be surprised when Banshee itself fails to compile. This is expected at this stage. You might also experience problems along the way, especially the cmake using packages are likely shaky.

You are encouraged to fix these and submit pull requests to Stephan in return for, potentially coveted yet widely available, bragging rights about being smarter than me.

- David

Sent from Mailbox

Re: Building Banshee on OS X

David Nielsen
I figured people would get a kick out of seeing this.

Stephan was able to get Banshee to start with 3 minor patches. It’s still plenty broken but our build environment is now usable*

* for certain values of useable

Sent from Mailbox