Buffering internet radio

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Buffering internet radio

John Jason Jordan
Banshee 2.4.1 from the repositories on Xubuntu 13.10, x86_64.

I stream real radio stations (not services like Pandora). They work
just fine, but Banshee keeps dropping the connection when the server is
too slow. This happens dozens of times a day.

I wouldn't mind if Banshee took longer before it starts playing the
station, so I am wondering if there is a way to increase the amount
that Banshee buffers.
_______________________________________________
banshee-list mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/banshee-list  (unsubscribe here)
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Buffering internet radio

Moonbase
Same here (Ubuntu studio 14.04; Banshee 2.6.2). Buffer builds up to about 81%, jitters a lot, and slowly decreases to less and less percent until it craps out. Playing the same stream with other players (i.e., Audacious) (on the same or another system) plays along happily, not one drop or stop.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Buffering internet radio

John Jason Jordan
On Wed, 21 May 2014 05:05:24 -0700 (PDT)
Moonbase <[hidden email]> dijo:

>Same here (Ubuntu studio 14.04; Banshee 2.6.2). Buffer builds up to
>about 81%, jitters a lot, and slowly decreases to less and less
>percent until it craps out. Playing the same stream with other players
>(i.e., Audacious) (on the same or another system) plays along happily,
>not one drop or stop.

Thank you for your corroboration of the problem. Your description is
exactly what happens to me.

After reading your response I installed Audacious, hoping it would be a
solution, but I can't figure out how to get it to play a radio stream.
If I try to add an URL for the stream it appears to accept it, but the
stream never appears in any of the menus, so I cannot select it to
play. But I do note that Audacious has the ability to let the user
specify how much to buffer the stream. I can do this with Tune-In radio
on my Android phone as well, and it helps a lot, but apparently the
option does not exist in Banshee.

The thing to remember is that the really popular streaming radio
stations all have excellent bandwidth, so heavy buffering is not
necessary. But I like classical music, and most of those stations are
dependent on listener donations for their existence. They cannot always
afford enough bandwidth to serve all the people who are trying to
listen.
_______________________________________________
banshee-list mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/banshee-list  (unsubscribe here)
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Buffering internet radio

Roderich Schupp-2
In reply to this post by Moonbase
On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 2:05 PM, Moonbase <[hidden email]> wrote:
Same here (Ubuntu studio 14.04; Banshee 2.6.2). Buffer builds up to about
81%, jitters a lot, and slowly decreases to less and less percent until it
craps out.

Banshee uses Gstreamer for all audio stuff (Audacious doesn't).
In order to investigate whether the problem is more on the Gstreamer or on the Banshee side of things, can you try the following:

  • install the Ubuntu package gstreamer1.0-tools if necessary
  • find out the actual internet radio stream URL; note that most stations don't publish the stream itself, but rather a container URL, e.g. a .pls or .asx playlist; you have to look inside that file to find the stream URL
  • open a terminal and run the command

          gst-launch-1.0 playbin uri=stream-url

  • this should play the stream (for mor diagnostics, run the command with "-v")
Cheers, Roderich

_______________________________________________
banshee-list mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/banshee-list  (unsubscribe here)
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Buffering internet radio

John Jason Jordan
On Thu, 22 May 2014 08:55:52 +0200
Roderich Schupp <[hidden email]> dijo:

>On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 2:05 PM, Moonbase <[hidden email]>
>wrote:
>> Same here (Ubuntu studio 14.04; Banshee 2.6.2). Buffer builds up to
>> about 81%, jitters a lot, and slowly decreases to less and less
>> percent until it craps out.

>Banshee uses Gstreamer for all audio stuff (Audacious doesn't).
>In order to investigate whether the problem is more on the Gstreamer
>or on the Banshee side of things, can you try the following:
>
>   - install the Ubuntu package gstreamer1.0-tools if necessary
>   - find out the actual internet radio stream URL; note that most
> stations don't publish the stream itself, but rather a container URL,
> e.g. a .pls or .asx playlist; you have to look inside that file to
> find the stream URL
>   - open a terminal and run the command
>
>         gst-launch-1.0 playbin uri=
>
>*stream-url *
>   - this should play the stream (for mor diagnostics, run the command
> with "-v")

Thanks for the response.

I have gstreamer.0.10-tools installed on my Xubuntu 13.10 and there is
no 1.0 version, so I assume that your 1.0 is just a typo.

The stream I am trying to play is
        rtsp://allclassical.streamguys.com:80/live/ac96k.stream
And I can only assume that it is not a container URL. If it is not,
please advise. Also, in case it is really a container, you say "you have
to look inside that file to find the stream URL," but I don't know how
to look inside it. Use a text editor? It's an URL, not a file, so how
do I open it in a text editor, or otherwise?

This stream was copied and pasted from other players where it works
fine, although it cuts out constantly because the other players do not
provide enough buffering. This is my interest in Audacious, because it
allows me to set the amount of buffering.
_______________________________________________
banshee-list mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/banshee-list  (unsubscribe here)
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Buffering internet radio

Roderich Schupp-2

On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 9:18 AM, John Jason Jordan <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have gstreamer.0.10-tools installed on my Xubuntu 13.10 and there is
no 1.0 version, so I assume that your 1.0 is just a typo.

No, it wasn't. It's because Moonbase indicated he uses Ubuntu studio 14.04 and Banshee 2.6.2 and that version is built with Gstreamer 1.0. I'm guessing that your Banshee is probably still built with Gstreamer 0.10 (check its dependencies with the package installer of your choice or simply "dpkg -s banshee" whether it shows *gstreamer*1.0* or *gstreamer*0.10*). In the latter case gst-launch-0.10 is appropriate. And use "playbin2" instead of "playbin".

The stream I am trying to play is
        rtsp://allclassical.streamguys.com:80/live/ac96k.stream
And I can only assume that it is not a container URL.

Correct.

Cheers, Roderich

_______________________________________________
banshee-list mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/banshee-list  (unsubscribe here)