Best way for a beginner to get their head around the code base and contribute

Best way for a beginner to get their head around the code base and contribute

damien093
I am new to Open Source contribution, and have not worked on a large project like Banshee before. I have got Banshee running in MonoDevelop and have looked at the list of bugs on Bugzilla, but I am not sure how to proceed. I would like to ask for advice about how to get my head around the codebase, and the easiest way to begin contributing. Thank You.