Banshee won't recognize Android phone

wittja01
I'm trying to use Banshee to sync my music files with my Samsung Galaxy S4 but Banshee doesn't show that my phone is connected. I don't know if this is related but I can connect my phone and manage files through the file manager but as soon as I open Banshee up, the file manager stops being able to access my phone. When I go in through the file manager and try to open it, I specifically get "Unable to open MTP device '[usb:008,002]".

I'm running Mint 17.1. Let me know if I need to provide more information. Thanks!

Re: Banshee won't recognize Android phone

revenant69
After many issues, I've switched to Clementine and everything works perfect. USBs, external HDDs, iPods and not only my Motorola phone but also my Lenovo tablet. It may be uglier than Banshee, but it seems to work a lot better with all external devices than Banshee.

> Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2015 09:12:00 -0700

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [Banshee-List] Banshee won't recognize Android phone
>
> I'm trying to use Banshee to sync my music files with my Samsung Galaxy S4
> but Banshee doesn't show that my phone is connected. I don't know if this is
> related but I can connect my phone and manage files through the file manager
> but as soon as I open Banshee up, the file manager stops being able to
> access my phone. When I go in through the file manager and try to open it, I
> specifically get "Unable to open MTP device '[usb:008,002]".
>
> I'm running Mint 17.1. Let me know if I need to provide more information.
> Thanks!

Re: Banshee won't recognize Android phone

IBBoard
I've always found that MTP issues lie with either libmtp, or with Gnome
or Shotwell or something else grabbing the device first (so Banshee
might see it, but by the time it tries to acquire the device then
something else has it).

Unfortunately, I've never found a solution beyond "try a different
libmtp package on openSUSE", because I don't use my MTP devices to care
enough to fix it properly. Instead I just make sure everything else is
closed down and plug and unplug it a few times until Banshee gets it
properly.

On 11/06/15 19:41, Magik wrote:

> After many issues, I've switched to Clementine and everything works
> perfect. USBs, external HDDs, iPods and not only my Motorola phone but
> also my Lenovo tablet. It may be uglier than Banshee, but it seems to
> work a lot better with all external devices than Banshee.
>
>> Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2015 09:12:00 -0700
>> From: [hidden email]
>> To: [hidden email]
>> Subject: [Banshee-List] Banshee won't recognize Android phone
>>
>> I'm trying to use Banshee to sync my music files with my Samsung Galaxy S4
>> but Banshee doesn't show that my phone is connected. I don't know if
> this is
>> related but I can connect my phone and manage files through the file
> manager
>> but as soon as I open Banshee up, the file manager stops being able to
>> access my phone. When I go in through the file manager and try to open
> it, I
>> specifically get "Unable to open MTP device '[usb:008,002]".
>>
>> I'm running Mint 17.1. Let me know if I need to provide more information.
>> Thanks!

Re: Banshee won't recognize Android phone

Adam  Tauno Williams
On Thu, 2015-06-11 at 09:12 -0700, wittja01 wrote:
> I'm trying to use Banshee to sync my music files with my Samsung
> Galaxy S4 but Banshee doesn't show that my phone is connected. I
> don't know if this is related but I can connect my phone and manage
> files through the file manager but as soon as I open Banshee up, the
> file manager stops being able to access my phone. When I go in
> through the file manager and try to
> open it, I specifically get "Unable to open MTP device
> '[usb:008,002]".

I have managed an Android device using mass-storage.  The trick is to
create the .is_audio_player file in the root of the device's
filesystem.

Contents like:

audio_folders=Music/
folder_depth=2
output_formats=audio/mp3

At least that has worked in the past.  I don't recall ever using an MTP
device.

--
Adam Tauno Williams <mailto:[hidden email]> GPG D95ED383

Re: Banshee won't recognize Android phone

Bober

wittja01:
> I'm trying to use Banshee to sync my music files with my Samsung Galaxy S4
> but Banshee doesn't show that my phone is connected.

Weird can you run it from command line with so we can see if there are
any errors.

> I don't know if this is
> related but I can connect my phone and manage files through the file manager
> but as soon as I open Banshee up, the file manager stops being able to
> access my phone. When I go in through the file manager and try to open it, I
> specifically get "Unable to open MTP device '[usb:008,002]".

Correct, with MTP only one process can access it at a time so if banshee
is open and has a lock on it, file manager won't be able to see it.

> I'm running Mint 17.1. Let me know if I need to provide more information.
> Thanks!

Maybe make a bug report, as it seems like this is an issue to your
normal usage.

Re: Banshee won't recognize Android phone

"Andrés G. Aragoneses"
On 11/06/15 18:12, wittja01 wrote:
> I'm trying to use Banshee to sync my music files with my Samsung Galaxy S4
> but Banshee doesn't show that my phone is connected. I don't know if this is
> related but I can connect my phone and manage files through the file manager
> but as soon as I open Banshee up, the file manager stops being able to
> access my phone. When I go in through the file manager and try to open it, I
> specifically get "Unable to open MTP device '[usb:008,002]".
>
> I'm running Mint 17.1. Let me know if I need to provide more information.
> Thanks!

What version of banshee are you running? There have been some MTP
improvements in the master branch, you may want to try that if you know
how to compile software.

issues with playlists again

francois43
Right now,
I can klick on the name field of my smart playlist as long as I want but
the sign that it is sorted does never disappear. It stays sorted.

Right now,
I added a song to a playlist and tried to move it upwards, but that did
not work, and NO field was sorted

Right now,
I cannot organise my list of playlists like files in a folder with
subfolders

Right now,
I removed a line in a playlist with an editor and replaced another line
in, and Banshee wouldnt re-read that playlist. I had to restart Banshee
and only then it did re-read it, and yes, the lines were ok.

There is always something with Playlists, isnt it?