Banshee status

Banshee Media Player mailing list

Hi,

I used Banshee a few years ago on Linux and was wondering if I could run it on Windows.  It appears that the project isn’t really be updated any longer.  I’m a C# developer and I was thinking about playing around with the source code.  Has anyone considered porting it to .NET core instead of mono?

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Re: Banshee status

Banshee Media Player mailing list
I'm currently working on GTK <https://github.com/knuxbbs/GtkSharp> and Gstreamer <https://github.com/knuxbbs/gstreamer-sharp> wrappers to .NET Core, before digging in the Banshee source.

But I'm very interested.

Em qui., 16 de jan. de 2020 às 15:29, Eric Goforth via banshee-list <[hidden email]> escreveu:

Hi,

I used Banshee a few years ago on Linux and was wondering if I could run it on Windows.  It appears that the project isn’t really be updated any longer.  I’m a C# developer and I was thinking about playing around with the source code.  Has anyone considered porting it to .NET core instead of mono?

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Re: Banshee status

Banshee Media Player mailing list

I understand that Banshee is dependent on GTK. I assume it’s also dependent on Gstreamer?

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Re: Banshee status

Banshee Media Player mailing list
As far as I remember, it is dependent on GStreamer.

Best Regards,
Dmitrii Petukhov

On 16 Jan 2020, at 9:52 PM, Eric Goforth via banshee-list <[hidden email]> wrote:

I understand that Banshee is dependent on GTK. I assume it’s also dependent on Gstreamer?

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Re: Banshee status

Banshee Media Player mailing list

Hello,

I wrote that many times on this list in the last years, but if there is a movement or community to modernize Banshee, I’m in.

I’ve asked many for help to be able to compile Banshee on Ubuntu. There was help from some persons—thanks to them again—but at my end I came close but could not achieve that successfully. That tells me that a thorough up-to-date documentation should be easily available, particularly for newcomers.

What would it take to have it on the official website? Should a new source code repository be created or moved to facilitate collaboration?

Regards

Le 20-01-16 à 19 h 00, Dmitrii Petukhov via banshee-list a écrit :
As far as I remember, it is dependent on GStreamer.

Best Regards,
Dmitrii Petukhov

On 16 Jan 2020, at 9:52 PM, Eric Goforth via banshee-list [hidden email] wrote:

I understand that Banshee is dependent on GTK. I assume it’s also dependent on Gstreamer?

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Re: Banshee status

timbo93

Hello everybody,

A port from Mono to .NET Core does not bring any real added value to the user. Especially since the UI would still run over GTK.

As a ASP.NET and Web developer I would find it more exciting to use an Electron.NET stack. Here we could build fancy UIs.

In addition you could support embedded devices by decoupling frontend and backend.

Best regards

Tim

Re: Banshee status

Banshee Media Player mailing list

Hi,

One reason I was thinking about porting to .net core is that I understood that mono might be going away eventually.

What’s everyone else’s understanding?

-Eric

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Re: Banshee status

Banshee Media Player mailing list
.NET Core is a big performance improvement over mono, seems like a
compelling reason to switch to me.