Banshee on openSUSE Leap 42.1 not working

Banshee on openSUSE Leap 42.1 not working

Klaus Zeitler-5
Hello,
just installed openSUSE Leap 42.1 this week. Most things went smoothly,
but it seems banshee is no longer (or not yet) in the official repos.
At least I couldn't find it. So I went to
https://software.opensuse.org/package/banshee
and tried (via 1 click install) the 2 'unstable' packets (version 2.6.2):
    home:IBBoard:desktop
    home:badshah400:branches...
Unfortunately neither of them work for me (same error). I'm pretty sure
that there's a gstreamer problem:

--- snip ---

** (Banshee:30663): CRITICAL **: _bp_pipeline_construct: assertion 'player->playbin != NULL' failed
[1 Debug 00:49:31.627] (libbanshee:player) bp_destroy: disposed player
[1 Warn  00:49:31.628] Caught an exception - System.ApplicationException: Could not initialize GStreamer library (in `Banshee.GStreamer')
  at Banshee.GStreamer.PlayerEngine.Initialize () [0x000ea] in /home/abuild/rpmbuild/BUILD/banshee-2.6.2/src/Backends/Banshee.GStreamer/Banshee.GStreamer/PlayerEngine.cs:206
  at Banshee.MediaEngine.PlayerEngineService.InitializeEngine (Banshee.MediaEngine.PlayerEngine engine) [0x00018] in /home/abuild/rpmbuild/BUILD/banshee-2.6.2/src/Core/Banshee.Services/Banshee.MediaEngine/PlayerEngineService.cs:130
  at Banshee.MediaEngine.PlayerEngineService.Banshee.ServiceStack.IDelayedInitializeService.DelayedInitialize () [0x00029] in /home/abuild/rpmbuild/BUILD/banshee-2.6.2/src/Core/Banshee.Services/Banshee.MediaEngine/PlayerEngineService.cs:143
  at Banshee.ServiceStack.ServiceManager.DelayedInitialize (IService service) [0x00032] in /home/abuild/rpmbuild/BUILD/banshee-2.6.2/src/Core/Banshee.Services/Banshee.ServiceStack/ServiceManager.cs:282
[1 Warn  00:49:31.628] Service `Banshee.MediaEngine.PlayerEngineService' not initialized: Could not initialize GStreamer library

--- snip ---

Apart from the official repositories I also use the packman repository.
When I run 'zypper pa | grep -i gstream" I get approx. 270 lines and
I see that the gstreamer packages are now installed from various
different repos, i.e.
 openSUSE-Leap-42.1-Oss
 openSUSE-42.1-0
 home:badshah400:branches:GNOME:Apps
 home:IBBoard:desktop
 Packman Repository

As usual I'm lost with gstreamer. Every time I install a new openSUSE
version, I'm fighting with gstreamer package selection.
I never know which ones I really need (and from which repo).
So I'm adding and removing/replacing the gstreamer packets till
everything seems to work. But this time it didn't work for banshee.
Just spent the whole day yesterday to no avail.
Maybe I should reinstall all this gstreamer stuff, but from where.

I appreciate any help.

Klaus

Re: Banshee on openSUSE Leap 42.1 not working

IBBoard
Which GStreamer packages do you have installed? My build (which has a
couple of small customisations) works fine for me in Leap, although I
have had GStreamer issues on various installs at times.

When I run "zypper pa -i|grep -E "^i.*gstreamer"|sort" I get the
attached list (assuming it works on the mailing list!)

On 08/05/16 08:32, Klaus Zeitler wrote:

> Hello,
> just installed openSUSE Leap 42.1 this week. Most things went smoothly,
> but it seems banshee is no longer (or not yet) in the official repos.
> At least I couldn't find it. So I went to
> https://software.opensuse.org/package/banshee
> and tried (via 1 click install) the 2 'unstable' packets (version 2.6.2):
>     home:IBBoard:desktop
>     home:badshah400:branches...
> Unfortunately neither of them work for me (same error). I'm pretty sure
> that there's a gstreamer problem:
>
> --- snip ---
>
> ** (Banshee:30663): CRITICAL **: _bp_pipeline_construct: assertion 'player->playbin != NULL' failed
> [1 Debug 00:49:31.627] (libbanshee:player) bp_destroy: disposed player
> [1 Warn  00:49:31.628] Caught an exception - System.ApplicationException: Could not initialize GStreamer library (in `Banshee.GStreamer')
>   at Banshee.GStreamer.PlayerEngine.Initialize () [0x000ea] in /home/abuild/rpmbuild/BUILD/banshee-2.6.2/src/Backends/Banshee.GStreamer/Banshee.GStreamer/PlayerEngine.cs:206
>   at Banshee.MediaEngine.PlayerEngineService.InitializeEngine (Banshee.MediaEngine.PlayerEngine engine) [0x00018] in /home/abuild/rpmbuild/BUILD/banshee-2.6.2/src/Core/Banshee.Services/Banshee.MediaEngine/PlayerEngineService.cs:130
>   at Banshee.MediaEngine.PlayerEngineService.Banshee.ServiceStack.IDelayedInitializeService.DelayedInitialize () [0x00029] in /home/abuild/rpmbuild/BUILD/banshee-2.6.2/src/Core/Banshee.Services/Banshee.MediaEngine/PlayerEngineService.cs:143
>   at Banshee.ServiceStack.ServiceManager.DelayedInitialize (IService service) [0x00032] in /home/abuild/rpmbuild/BUILD/banshee-2.6.2/src/Core/Banshee.Services/Banshee.ServiceStack/ServiceManager.cs:282
> [1 Warn  00:49:31.628] Service `Banshee.MediaEngine.PlayerEngineService' not initialized: Could not initialize GStreamer library
>
> --- snip ---
>
> Apart from the official repositories I also use the packman repository.
> When I run 'zypper pa | grep -i gstream" I get approx. 270 lines and
> I see that the gstreamer packages are now installed from various
> different repos, i.e.
>  openSUSE-Leap-42.1-Oss
>  openSUSE-42.1-0
>  home:badshah400:branches:GNOME:Apps
>  home:IBBoard:desktop
>  Packman Repository
>
> As usual I'm lost with gstreamer. Every time I install a new openSUSE
> version, I'm fighting with gstreamer package selection.
> I never know which ones I really need (and from which repo).
> So I'm adding and removing/replacing the gstreamer packets till
> everything seems to work. But this time it didn't work for banshee.
> Just spent the whole day yesterday to no avail.
> Maybe I should reinstall all this gstreamer stuff, but from where.
>
> I appreciate any help.
>
> Klaus

gstreamer-packages.txt (4K) Download Attachment

Re: Banshee on openSUSE Leap 42.1 not working

Klaus Zeitler-6
Hello,

    IBBoard>
    IBBoard> Which GStreamer packages do you have installed? My build
    IBBoard> (which has a couple of small customisations) works fine for
    IBBoard> me in Leap, although I have had GStreamer issues on various
    IBBoard> installs at times.
    IBBoard>
    IBBoard> When I run "zypper pa -i|grep -E "^i.*gstreamer"|sort" I get the
    IBBoard> attached list (assuming it works on the mailing list!)

I've now reinstalled every package in your list and made sure, that
I see now the same version. But the problem persists.
Maybe my guess, that I have a problem with gstreamer, was wrong.
Then I tried to figure out all the libraries, that banshee
is using, but so far I didn't succeed. Seems that the bash script
is calling Banshee.exe, but I can't use ldd on Banshee.exe.

I do have approx. 20 gstreamer packages installed, that you didn't have
in your list. As a next step I'll remove all those, but I doubt, that
this will help.

On 09/05/16 16:46, Klaus Zeitler wrote:

> Hello,

>     IBBoard>
>     IBBoard> Which GStreamer packages do you have installed? My build
>     IBBoard> (which has a couple of small customisations) works fine for
>     IBBoard> me in Leap, although I have had GStreamer issues on various
>     IBBoard> installs at times.
>     IBBoard>
>     IBBoard> When I run "zypper pa -i|grep -E "^i.*gstreamer"|sort" I get the
>     IBBoard> attached list (assuming it works on the mailing list!)
>
> I've now reinstalled every package in your list and made sure, that
> I see now the same version. But the problem persists.
> Maybe my guess, that I have a problem with gstreamer, was wrong.
> Then I tried to figure out all the libraries, that banshee
> is using, but so far I didn't succeed. Seems that the bash script
> is calling Banshee.exe, but I can't use ldd on Banshee.exe.
>
> I do have approx. 20 gstreamer packages installed, that you didn't have
> in your list. As a next step I'll remove all those, but I doubt, that
> this will help.
>
> Klaus

I just searched for the error you reported, and found
https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/511323-Gstreamer-error

Reading it prompts vague memories that I might have had to do that at
some point. Upgrading between openSUSE versions (including moving from
GStreamer 0.10 to 1.0) and keeping my profile might have caused some
issues that then prevent Banshee from working.

Re: Banshee on openSUSE Leap 42.1 not working

Klaus Zeitler-6
Hello,
    IBBoard>
    IBBoard> I just searched for the error you reported, and found
    IBBoard> https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/511323-Gstreamer-error
    IBBoard>
    IBBoard> Reading it prompts vague memories that I might have had to
    IBBoard> do that at some point. Upgrading between openSUSE versions
    IBBoard> (including moving from GStreamer 0.10 to 1.0) and keeping
    IBBoard> my profile might have caused some issues that then prevent
    IBBoard> Banshee from working.

Took a short look at this bug report, but it's not clear to me how
this should help me in installing banshee properly.

But it was too late anyway. I had made a few more package (de)installations.
Neither of them made any difference. Then I noticed that my storage
device was full. This was my first installation with BtrFS and it took
me a while to figure out, that it was due to the 270 snapshots that
I had generated with my zypper installation commands. In a rather
shirt-sleeve approach or should I say braindead manner I deleted them
all and then my installation was broken. So for better or for worse
I had to reinstall everything again from scratch.
This time one of my first steps was to install banshee (before adding
e.g. packman repo and other stuff) and now banshee is running again.

Unfortunately I almost immediately detected a problem with
notifications. Every time a notification pops up, the screen gets pretty
much wiped out. Looks like some sort of redisplay problem. I'm using
xfce. As a first step I've disabled notifications. This made it better,
but it's still happening every once in a while. I'll investigate this
later and will start a new thread for this problem once I've solved
a more urgent problem I have now with soundcard/alsa/pulseaudio after
the new installation, i.e. I have disturbing noise now on one of my
speakers. Beats me why sound worked out of the box after the first
installation and now not anymore.

On 14/05/16 11:44, Klaus Zeitler wrote:

> Hello,
>     IBBoard>
>     IBBoard> I just searched for the error you reported, and found
>     IBBoard> https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/511323-Gstreamer-error
>     IBBoard>
>     IBBoard> Reading it prompts vague memories that I might have had to
>     IBBoard> do that at some point. Upgrading between openSUSE versions
>     IBBoard> (including moving from GStreamer 0.10 to 1.0) and keeping
>     IBBoard> my profile might have caused some issues that then prevent
>     IBBoard> Banshee from working.
>
> Took a short look at this bug report, but it's not clear to me how
> this should help me in installing banshee properly.
>
> But it was too late anyway. I had made a few more package (de)installations.
> Neither of them made any difference. Then I noticed that my storage
> device was full. This was my first installation with BtrFS and it took
> me a while to figure out, that it was due to the 270 snapshots that
> I had generated with my zypper installation commands. In a rather
> shirt-sleeve approach or should I say braindead manner I deleted them
> all and then my installation was broken. So for better or for worse
> I had to reinstall everything again from scratch.
> This time one of my first steps was to install banshee (before adding
> e.g. packman repo and other stuff) and now banshee is running again.
>
> Unfortunately I almost immediately detected a problem with
> notifications. Every time a notification pops up, the screen gets pretty
> much wiped out. Looks like some sort of redisplay problem. I'm using
> xfce. As a first step I've disabled notifications. This made it better,
> but it's still happening every once in a while. I'll investigate this
> later and will start a new thread for this problem once I've solved
> a more urgent problem I have now with soundcard/alsa/pulseaudio after
> the new installation, i.e. I have disturbing noise now on one of my
> speakers. Beats me why sound worked out of the box after the first
> installation and now not anymore.
>
> Klaus

The bug report was saying that an old GStreamer cache can cause problems
similar to your symptoms. If you were on a fresh install with a clean
user profile then it isn't likely to have been the issue, but I do
remember once deleting that cache on my machine to fix something after
an upgrade/reinstall that kept the profile directory.

With the "disturbing" noise, is it crackling and distortion with MP3?
I've found file support isn't good in the core openSUSE packages
(because of patents/licensing), so I added Packman, but if I didn't swap
*everything* to Packman then some files didn't play well. Also, it has
been a while, but I think the Packman Fluendo MP3 package was better
than the standard openSUSE option.

I hope that helps, and you get your rebuild fixed.