[Banshee-list] Podcast annoyance

Matthew Daubney
Hey all,

I've been using Banshee for a little while now and I've found an
irratation. If I add a podcast which has any characters that are
forbidden by the file system, such as :, then it refuses to fetch the
podcasts.

I had a dig around and believe that it is to do with this line in
HttpDownloadTask.cs;
FilePath = System.Web.HttpUtility.UrlDecode (segments
[segments.Length-1]);

Should there not be something that strips out the nastys or am I looking
in completley the wrong place? It's been a long time since I did any cs
and even then it wasn't very complex! If someone can point me to in the
right direction I'll try and fix it myself.

Thanks for any info,
-Matt Daubney

Re: [Banshee-list] Podcast annoyance

Chow Loong Jin

Sounds like a bug to me. Why don't you file a bug? http://bugzilla.gnome.org

--
Hyperair

Re: [Banshee-list] Podcast annoyance

Christopher James Halse Rogers-3
On 5/14/08, Matt Daubney <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hey all,
>
>  I've been using Banshee for a little while now and I've found an
>  irratation. If I add a podcast which has any characters that are
>  forbidden by the file system, such as :, then it refuses to fetch the
>  podcasts.

What filesystem is that?  My understanding was that most linux
filesystems allow any character except the null character in a
filename?

That said, ':' is the mac path separator, so it's entirely possible
that it's a forbidden char in the HFS+ filesystem, and it's probably
forbidden in vfat & ntfs (along with any number of other characters).

So it certainly is a bug, it just might be a bit more subtle than
"let's just strip ':' from filenames" :).

Re: [Banshee-list] Podcast annoyance

Mike Urbanski-2
Matt,

I had a dig around and believe that it is to do with this line in
HttpDownloadTask.cs;
FilePath = System.Web.HttpUtility.UrlDecode (segments
[segments.Length-1]);

Should there not be something that strips out the nastys or am I looking
in completley the wrong place?

Right place.  Wrong release.

It's been a long time since I did any cs
and even then it wasn't very complex! If someone can point me to in the
right direction I'll try and fix it myself.

The old plugin is dead (*I'm not dead yet!*  Yes plugin, you are. -motions for old man to cart away plugin-) and new efforts should be focused on its successor (let's call it the Mark XII.)  I think I addressed this in the new plugin but can't really recall.  I'll take a look after work, or, by all means, take a look yourself and send patches!

~Mike