Banshee crashes in Ubuntu 16.x

Wes

Banshee crashes in Ubuntu 16.x

Wes
I can't use Banshee at all in Ubuntu 16.x. it won't scan the library, playlists or do anything. Just crashes. I have hours into building a music library using Banshee. Tried other media programs and they are confusing, non-intuitive and half of the titles and album names are blank. Maybe I have to go back to Ubuntu 14. Any plans in the immediate future to fix this?

Re: Banshee crashes in Ubuntu 16.x

tgroman
I'm on Arch Linux and have solved this by downgrading Mono to version 4.6.1. The current version appears to be 5.0.0.
I do not know why Banshee has not yet been ported to the newer mono nor do i know why Ubuntu would upgrade it knowing it would break this software. Is the Banshee project dead or something?
Anyways downgrade Mono and it will run again.

Re: Banshee crashes in Ubuntu 16.x

pointedstick
Yes, it is basically dead and in need of resurrection by new developers
and technically-minded users.

On 06/24/2017 07:36 PM, tgroman wrote:

> I'm on Arch Linux and have solved this by downgrading Mono to version 4.6.1.
> The current version appears to be 5.0.0.
> I do not know why Banshee has not yet been ported to the newer mono nor do i
> know why Ubuntu would upgrade it knowing it would break this software. Is
> the Banshee project dead or something?
> Anyways downgrade Mono and it will run again.

Re: Banshee crashes in Ubuntu 16.x

Banshee Media Player mailing list
Hey folks, out of interest is there a stack trace when it crashes on mono > 4.6?

I'd be interested to see it, I run Gentoo so I installed mono 5.0.1.1 and was able to run my copy okay and play a few tracks - admittedly it's heavily modified so the feature causing the problem might not be enabled or built on my install.

NAML

Re: Banshee crashes in Ubuntu 16.x

Banshee Media Player mailing list
Hi again,

I did a bit of investigating and found this crash seems to be caused
by Mono.Zeroconf using an internal implementation of NDesk.DBus (the
pre-cursor to dbus-sharp) so I started a branch to switch the library
to use dbus-sharp instead. [1]

Cheers.

[1] https://github.com/arfbtwn/Mono.Zeroconf/tree/feature/dbus-sharp

On 29 June 2017 at 19:47, Nicholas Little
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey folks, out of interest is there a stack trace when it crashes on mono >
> 4.6?
>
> I'd be interested to see it, I run Gentoo so I installed mono 5.0.1.1 and
> was able to run my copy okay and play a few tracks - admittedly it's heavily
> modified so the feature causing the problem might not be enabled or built on
> my install.
>
> On 27 Jun 2017 15:33, "Nate Graham" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Yes, it is basically dead and in need of resurrection by new developers
>> and technically-minded users.
>>

>> On 06/24/2017 07:36 PM, tgroman wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm on Arch Linux and have solved this by downgrading Mono to version
>>> 4.6.1.
>>> The current version appears to be 5.0.0.
>>> I do not know why Banshee has not yet been ported to the newer mono nor
>>> do i
>>> know why Ubuntu would upgrade it knowing it would break this software. Is
>>> the Banshee project dead or something?
>>> Anyways downgrade Mono and it will run again.
>>>

>>> --

Registered Linux User #392373