Banshee cannot play m4a files

Michael Stroh-3
Hi there,

Can anyone please help? I am trying to play m4a files (iTunes specific) but Banshee will not play them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
Michael.

autogen fails on svn?

Derek Vandivere
On Ubuntu Hardy, last night's (US afternoon's) SVN build is failing again
on the Nereid thing - same error as a couple weeks ago. It had worked for
the last few times I've checked, but seems to have come back in.

Anyone know offhand if the podsleuth fix has been committed yet? Won't
have a chance to test it for the next several days, as I'll be busy
drinking beer in Belgium this weekend...

Cheers,
dersk

Re: Banshee cannot play m4a files

Sandy Armstrong
2008/5/29 Michael Stroh <[hidden email]>:
> Hi there,
>
> Can anyone please help? I am trying to play m4a files (iTunes specific) but
> Banshee will not play them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You need to install the gstreamer plugin that handles AAC files.  What
distro do you use?

Sandy

Re: autogen fails on svn?

Sandy Armstrong
On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 5:36 AM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Ubuntu Hardy, last night's (US afternoon's) SVN build is failing again
> on the Nereid thing - same error as a couple weeks ago. It had worked for
> the last few times I've checked, but seems to have come back in.

This happens sometimes when things are getting reorganized; no
worries.  :-)  You can be sure that there are a few people in IRC
pinging abock and gabaug as soon as the build breaks, so they know.

> Anyone know offhand if the podsleuth fix has been committed yet? Won't
> have a chance to test it for the next several days, as I'll be busy
> drinking beer in Belgium this weekend...

Your best bet is probably grepping the ChangeLog...

Sandy

Re: autogen fails on svn?

Chow Loong Jin
[hidden email] wrote:

> On Ubuntu Hardy, last night's (US afternoon's) SVN build is failing again
> on the Nereid thing - same error as a couple weeks ago. It had worked for
> the last few times I've checked, but seems to have come back in.
>
> Anyone know offhand if the podsleuth fix has been committed yet? Won't
> have a chance to test it for the next several days, as I'll be busy
> drinking beer in Belgium this weekend...
>
> Cheers,
> dersk

Podsleuth hasn't been fixed as far as I know. Even if it had, it'd be in
trunk, and there isn't a new release in Podsleuth yet, and so hasn't
been packaged.

--
Hyperair

Re: Banshee cannot play m4a files

infernux-2
> Can anyone please help? I am trying to play m4a files (iTunes
> specific) but Banshee will not play them. Any help would be greatly
> appreciated.

Do you mean "iTunes specific" a la "m4a with itunes drm"? In that case you are out of luck because banshee can not support playing those files.

-Michael

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 9:11 AM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Can anyone please help? I am trying to play m4a files (iTunes
>> specific) but Banshee will not play them. Any help would be greatly
>> appreciated.
>
> Do you mean "iTunes specific" a la "m4a with itunes drm"? In that case you are out of luck because banshee can not support playing those files.

Those would be m4p files.  If he has m4a they are just regular
unprotected iTunes-created AAC files.

Sandy

Re: Banshee cannot play m4a files

Alan McGovern-2
I did a *really* quick google, and this is the first link that seemed
to give a good description on what to do:

http://www.marteydodoo.com/2006/02/01/compiling-aac-support-in-ubuntu-dapper-with-gstreamer-010/

Basically, you just need the gstreamer based aac decoder installed and
banshee should be able to play your AAC files.

Alan.

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 5:31 PM, Sandy Armstrong
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 9:11 AM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Can anyone please help? I am trying to play m4a files (iTunes
>>> specific) but Banshee will not play them. Any help would be greatly
>>> appreciated.
>>
>> Do you mean "iTunes specific" a la "m4a with itunes drm"? In that case you are out of luck because banshee can not support playing those files.
>
> Those would be m4p files.  If he has m4a they are just regular
> unprotected iTunes-created AAC files.
>
> Sandy

Re: Banshee cannot play m4a files

Sandy Armstrong
That's pretty old...I'm sure there are packages now that provide the
support (because I've used them!).  I just can't remember exactly
which package provides them.  ;-)  Probably gstreamer0.10-bad or
gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg.

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 9:39 AM, Alan McGovern <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I did a *really* quick google, and this is the first link that seemed
> to give a good description on what to do:
>
> http://www.marteydodoo.com/2006/02/01/compiling-aac-support-in-ubuntu-dapper-with-gstreamer-010/
>
> Basically, you just need the gstreamer based aac decoder installed and
> banshee should be able to play your AAC files.
>
> Alan.
>
> On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 5:31 PM, Sandy Armstrong
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Do you mean "iTunes specific" a la "m4a with itunes drm"? In that case you are out of luck because banshee can not support playing those files.
>>
>> Those would be m4p files.  If he has m4a they are just regular
>> unprotected iTunes-created AAC files.
>>
>> Sandy

Re: Banshee cannot play m4a files

Michael Stroh-3
Well, basically I have openSuse 10.3 and I connected my iPod with about 800 songs. Banshee sucked them all up into my home  directory. So almost all these files are m4a and only a few are mp3 files. The mp3 files play okay but the m4a files don't play at all

Are you saying that Bansahee doesn't support this m4a format at all??

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 2:45 AM, Sandy Armstrong <[hidden email]> wrote:
That's pretty old...I'm sure there are packages now that provide the
support (because I've used them!).  I just can't remember exactly
which package provides them.  ;-)  Probably gstreamer0.10-bad or
gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg.

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 9:39 AM, Alan McGovern <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I did a *really* quick google, and this is the first link that seemed
> to give a good description on what to do:
>
> http://www.marteydodoo.com/2006/02/01/compiling-aac-support-in-ubuntu-dapper-with-gstreamer-010/
>
> Basically, you just need the gstreamer based aac decoder installed and
> banshee should be able to play your AAC files.
>
> Alan.
>
> On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 5:31 PM, Sandy Armstrong
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Do you mean "iTunes specific" a la "m4a with itunes drm"? In that case you are out of luck because banshee can not support playing those files.
>>
>> Those would be m4p files.  If he has m4a they are just regular
>> unprotected iTunes-created AAC files.
>>
>> Sandy

Re: Banshee cannot play m4a files

David Nielsen

2008/5/29 Michael Stroh <[hidden email]>:
Well, basically I have openSuse 10.3 and I connected my iPod with about 800 songs. Banshee sucked them all up into my home  directory. So almost all these files are m4a and only a few are mp3 files. The mp3 files play okay but the m4a files don't play at all

Are you saying that Bansahee doesn't support this m4a format at all??

No we are saying the codec support is not Banshee' problem but the underlying GStreamer layer. You will need codec packages for your distribution.

Not being a SuSE user I can't say if this is 100% but you need to add the packman repo to get these packages that can't be redistriibuted by SuSE for legal reasons.

http://packman.links2linux.org/

Re: Banshee cannot play m4a files

Alan McGovern-2
http://opensuse-community.org/Restricted_Formats

That should help.

Alan.

2008/5/29 David Nielsen <[hidden email]>:

> 2008/5/29 Michael Stroh <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> Well, basically I have openSuse 10.3 and I connected my iPod with about
>> 800 songs. Banshee sucked them all up into my home  directory. So almost all
>> these files are m4a and only a few are mp3 files. The mp3 files play okay
>> but the m4a files don't play at all
>>
>> Are you saying that Bansahee doesn't support this m4a format at all??
>
> No we are saying the codec support is not Banshee' problem but the
> underlying GStreamer layer. You will need codec packages for your
> distribution.
>
> Not being a SuSE user I can't say if this is 100% but you need to add the
> packman repo to get these packages that can't be redistriibuted by SuSE for
> legal reasons.
>
> http://packman.links2linux.org/

Re: Banshee cannot play m4a files

Sandy Armstrong
As others have said, Banshee will play whatever media you have
gstreamer codecs for.  Please see this page to help you get those
codes for openSUSE 10.3:

http://opensuse-community.org/Restricted_Formats/10.3

Have fun,
Sandy

2008/5/29 Michael Stroh <[hidden email]>:

> Well, basically I have openSuse 10.3 and I connected my iPod with about 800
> songs. Banshee sucked them all up into my home  directory. So almost all
> these files are m4a and only a few are mp3 files. The mp3 files play okay
> but the m4a files don't play at all
>
> Are you saying that Bansahee doesn't support this m4a format at all??
>
> On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 2:45 AM, Sandy Armstrong
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> That's pretty old...I'm sure there are packages now that provide the
>> support (because I've used them!).  I just can't remember exactly
>> which package provides them.  ;-)  Probably gstreamer0.10-bad or
>> gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg.
>>
>> On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 9:39 AM, Alan McGovern <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > I did a *really* quick google, and this is the first link that seemed
>> > to give a good description on what to do:
>> >

>> > http://www.marteydodoo.com/2006/02/01/compiling-aac-support-in-ubuntu-dapper-with-gstreamer-010/
>> >
>> > Basically, you just need the gstreamer based aac decoder installed and
>> > banshee should be able to play your AAC files.
>> >
>> > Alan.

Re: Banshee cannot play m4a files

Michał Sawicz
Dnia 2008-05-30, pią o godzinie 05:16 +1000, Michael Stroh pisze:
> Are you saying that Bansahee doesn't support this m4a format at all??

Install packages from Packman's repo
gstreamer0.10-plugins-{base,good,bad,ugly} and some other
gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg and such.

Banshee itself doesn't support nothing, it supports gstreamer.

--
Michal Sawicz <[hidden email]>

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment