Banshee and a USB MP3 Player

12

Banshee and a USB MP3 Player

Timothy Collins-2
I have a no-name MP3 player. It's nice and I like it. I have used this player with banshee for months and I love the combination.

Suddenly and without warning, Banshee no longer notices it when it get's plugged in. Ubuntu see it, mounts it, and opens a file window for it. Rythmbox (If I wanted to use that with my player) sees it and is happy. I even got Amarok to see the player. But for some reason, after 2 months, Banshee suddenly has declared it invisible.

I have tried recreating the .is_audi_player with no luck. I tried upgrading banshee to the new version - no luck. I even started grasping at straws and plugged it into different USB ports on the computer with no luck. I looked at HAL and Ubuntu is fat and happy with the player. Banshee seems to be the problem.

Has anyone else had this problem before?

Re: Banshee and a USB MP3 Player

Tim T.
I reported the same problem a couple of weeks back..

I'm thinking it may be some incompatibility between banshee and a
support library (Different version in Ubuntu Hardy ?);
/maybe/ building banshee from source might fix it.. Haven't had the
time and energy to try that yet.

TimT.

2008/5/4 Timothy Collins <[hidden email]>:

> I have a no-name MP3 player. It's nice and I like it. I have used this
> player with banshee for months and I love the combination.
>
> Suddenly and without warning, Banshee no longer notices it when it get's
> plugged in. Ubuntu see it, mounts it, and opens a file window for it.
> Rythmbox (If I wanted to use that with my player) sees it and is happy. I
> even got Amarok to see the player. But for some reason, after 2 months,
> Banshee suddenly has declared it invisible.
>
> I have tried recreating the .is_audi_player with no luck. I tried upgrading
> banshee to the new version - no luck. I even started grasping at straws and
> plugged it into different USB ports on the computer with no luck. I looked
> at HAL and Ubuntu is fat and happy with the player. Banshee seems to be the
> problem.
>
> Has anyone else had this problem before?

Re: Banshee and a USB MP3 Player

Josiah Ritchie-3
Have you been using the .is_audio_player file in the root of the
player's file system? That might help.

JSR/

On Sun, May 4, 2008 at 1:46 PM, Tim T. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I reported the same problem a couple of weeks back..
>
>  I'm thinking it may be some incompatibility between banshee and a
>  support library (Different version in Ubuntu Hardy ?);
>  /maybe/ building banshee from source might fix it.. Haven't had the
>  time and energy to try that yet.
>
>  TimT.
>
>  2008/5/4 Timothy Collins <[hidden email]>:
>

> > I have a no-name MP3 player. It's nice and I like it. I have used this
>  > player with banshee for months and I love the combination.
>  >
>  > Suddenly and without warning, Banshee no longer notices it when it get's
>  > plugged in. Ubuntu see it, mounts it, and opens a file window for it.
>  > Rythmbox (If I wanted to use that with my player) sees it and is happy. I
>  > even got Amarok to see the player. But for some reason, after 2 months,
>  > Banshee suddenly has declared it invisible.
>  >
>  > I have tried recreating the .is_audi_player with no luck. I tried upgrading
>  > banshee to the new version - no luck. I even started grasping at straws and
>  > plugged it into different USB ports on the computer with no luck. I looked
>  > at HAL and Ubuntu is fat and happy with the player. Banshee seems to be the
>  > problem.
>  >
>  > Has anyone else had this problem before?
>  >
>  >  Banshee-list mailing list
>  >  [hidden email]
>  >  http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/banshee-list
>  >
>  >

Our Mission
Technology and Hospitality for God's Workmen
http://missions.ritchietribe.net

Re: Banshee and a USB MP3 Player

Tim T.
Yep..  .is_audio_player in the root of the file system

 As Timothy said, and as I can confirm: It used to work, now it doesn't.
 I really didn't change anything on the Mp3 player(s) (Nokia N95 and a
no-name SD card player, that I mostly keep in a desk drawer.)

 TimT

On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 3:56 AM, Josiah Ritchie <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Have you been using the .is_audio_player file in the root of the
>  player's file system? That might help.
>
>  JSR/
>

>  On Sun, May 4, 2008 at 1:46 PM, Tim T. <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  > I reported the same problem a couple of weeks back..
>  >
>  >  I'm thinking it may be some incompatibility between banshee and a
>  >  support library (Different version in Ubuntu Hardy ?);
>  >  /maybe/ building banshee from source might fix it.. Haven't had the
>  >  time and energy to try that yet.
>  >
>  >  TimT.
>  >
>  >  2008/5/4 Timothy Collins <[hidden email]>:
>  >
>  >
>  > > I have a no-name MP3 player. It's nice and I like it. I have used this
>  >  > player with banshee for months and I love the combination.
>  >  >
>  >  > Suddenly and without warning, Banshee no longer notices it when it get's
>  >  > plugged in. Ubuntu see it, mounts it, and opens a file window for it.
>  >  > Rythmbox (If I wanted to use that with my player) sees it and is happy. I
>  >  > even got Amarok to see the player. But for some reason, after 2 months,
>  >  > Banshee suddenly has declared it invisible.
>  >  >
>  >  > I have tried recreating the .is_audi_player with no luck. I tried upgrading
>  >  > banshee to the new version - no luck. I even started grasping at straws and
>  >  > plugged it into different USB ports on the computer with no luck. I looked
>  >  > at HAL and Ubuntu is fat and happy with the player. Banshee seems to be the
>  >  > problem.
>  >  >
>  >  > Has anyone else had this problem before?
>  >  >
>  >  > _______________________________________________
>  >  >  Banshee-list mailing list
>  >  >  [hidden email]
>  >  >  http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/banshee-list
>  >  >
>  >  >
>  >  _______________________________________________
>  >  Banshee-list mailing list
>  >  [hidden email]
>  >  http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/banshee-list
>  >
>

>  --
>  Our Mission
>  Technology and Hospitality for God's Workmen
>  http://missions.ritchietribe.net

Re: Banshee and a USB MP3 Player

Timothy Collins-2
Yep. it was in the root. Banshee worked with this very player for almost two months straight... then just stopped.

It's not as big of a problem as it could be - the main things I sync to it are podcasts and I can use gPodder for that. I just find it annoying... And I don;t like RythmBox at all.... Banshee is the closest thing to iTunes I have seen on Linux and it is a heckuva good music manager. I just wonder why it decided my MP3 Player doesn't exist all of a sudden...

On Sun, May 4, 2008 at 9:56 PM, Josiah Ritchie <[hidden email]> wrote:
Have you been using the .is_audio_player file in the root of the
player's file system? That might help.

JSR/

On Sun, May 4, 2008 at 1:46 PM, Tim T. <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I reported the same problem a couple of weeks back..
>
>  I'm thinking it may be some incompatibility between banshee and a
>  support library (Different version in Ubuntu Hardy ?);
>  /maybe/ building banshee from source might fix it.. Haven't had the
>  time and energy to try that yet.
>
>  TimT.
>
>  2008/5/4 Timothy Collins <[hidden email]>:
>

> > I have a no-name MP3 player. It's nice and I like it. I have used this
>  > player with banshee for months and I love the combination.
>  >
>  > Suddenly and without warning, Banshee no longer notices it when it get's
>  > plugged in. Ubuntu see it, mounts it, and opens a file window for it.
>  > Rythmbox (If I wanted to use that with my player) sees it and is happy. I
>  > even got Amarok to see the player. But for some reason, after 2 months,
>  > Banshee suddenly has declared it invisible.
>  >
>  > I have tried recreating the .is_audi_player with no luck. I tried upgrading
>  > banshee to the new version - no luck. I even started grasping at straws and
>  > plugged it into different USB ports on the computer with no luck. I looked
>  > at HAL and Ubuntu is fat and happy with the player. Banshee seems to be the
>  > problem.
>  >
>  > Has anyone else had this problem before?
>  >
>  >  Banshee-list mailing list
>  >  [hidden email]
>  >  http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/banshee-list
>  >
>  >

Our Mission
Technology and Hospitality for God's Workmen
http://missions.ritchietribe.net

Re: Banshee and a USB MP3 Player

Chow Loong Jin
2008/5/5 Timothy Collins <[hidden email]>:
Yep. it was in the root. Banshee worked with this very player for almost two months straight... then just stopped.

It's not as big of a problem as it could be - the main things I sync to it are podcasts and I can use gPodder for that. I just find it annoying... And I don;t like RythmBox at all.... Banshee is the closest thing to iTunes I have seen on Linux and it is a heckuva good music manager. I just wonder why it decided my MP3 Player doesn't exist all of a sudden...

On Sun, May 4, 2008 at 9:56 PM, Josiah Ritchie <[hidden email]> wrote:
Have you been using the .is_audio_player file in the root of the
player's file system? That might help.

JSR/

On Sun, May 4, 2008 at 1:46 PM, Tim T. <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I reported the same problem a couple of weeks back..
>
>  I'm thinking it may be some incompatibility between banshee and a
>  support library (Different version in Ubuntu Hardy ?);
>  /maybe/ building banshee from source might fix it.. Haven't had the
>  time and energy to try that yet.
>
>  TimT.
>
>  2008/5/4 Timothy Collins <[hidden email]>:
>

> > I have a no-name MP3 player. It's nice and I like it. I have used this
>  > player with banshee for months and I love the combination.
>  >
>  > Suddenly and without warning, Banshee no longer notices it when it get's
>  > plugged in. Ubuntu see it, mounts it, and opens a file window for it.
>  > Rythmbox (If I wanted to use that with my player) sees it and is happy. I
>  > even got Amarok to see the player. But for some reason, after 2 months,
>  > Banshee suddenly has declared it invisible.
>  >
>  > I have tried recreating the .is_audi_player with no luck. I tried upgrading
>  > banshee to the new version - no luck. I even started grasping at straws and
>  > plugged it into different USB ports on the computer with no luck. I looked
>  > at HAL and Ubuntu is fat and happy with the player. Banshee seems to be the
>  > problem.
>  >
>  > Has anyone else had this problem before?
>  >
>  >  Banshee-list mailing list
>  >  [hidden email]
>  >  http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/banshee-list
>  >
>  >

Our Mission
Technology and Hospitality for God's Workmen
http://missions.ritchietribe.net

Could you check if the command line output of Banshee? For me, I see a whole series of exceptions to do with HAL. Upon start up, I get these:
[Info  21:40:52.496] Running Banshee 0.98.4

(Nereid:15759): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme directory scalable/places/22 of theme black-white_2-Gloss has no size field

[Info  21:40:56.318] All services are started 3.167592s
[Info  21:40:59.383] nereid Client Started

System.Exception: org.freedesktop.Hal.NoSuchProperty: No property volume.is_mounted on device with id /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/platform_floppy_0_storage_platform_floppy
  at IDeviceProxy.GetPropertyBoolean (System.String ) [0x00000]
  at Hal.Device.GetPropertyBoolean (System.String key) [0x00000] in /var/abs/local/yaourtbuild/banshee-1-svn/src/banshee/src/Backends/Banshee.Hal/Hal/Device.cs:227
  at Banshee.HalBackend.Volume.get_IsMounted () [0x00000] in /var/abs/local/yaourtbuild/banshee-1-svn/src/banshee/src/Backends/Banshee.Hal/Banshee.HalBackend/Volume.cs:96
  at Banshee.HalBackend.Volume.CheckVolumeMounted (Banshee.HalBackend.Volume volume) [0x0006c] in /var/abs/local/yaourtbuild/banshee-1-svn/src/banshee/src/Backends/Banshee.Hal/Banshee.HalBackend/Volume.cs:179
  at Banshee.HalBackend.Volume.Resolve (Banshee.HalBackend.BlockDevice parent, Hal.Manager manager, Hal.Device device) [0x00044] in /var/abs/local/yaourtbuild/banshee-1-svn/src/banshee/src/Backends/Banshee.Hal/Banshee.HalBackend/Volume.cs:55
  at Banshee.HalBackend.HardwareManager.Resolve (Hal.Device hal_device) [0x00035] in /var/abs/local/yaourtbuild/banshee-1-svn/src/banshee/src/Backends/Banshee.Hal/Banshee.HalBackend/HardwareManager.cs:106
  at Banshee.HalBackend.HardwareManager+<>c__CompilerGenerated1.MoveNext () [0x0007e] in /var/abs/local/yaourtbuild/banshee-1-svn/src/banshee/src/Backends/Banshee.Hal/Banshee.HalBackend/HardwareManager.cs:61
  at Banshee.Hardware.HardwareManager+<>c__CompilerGenerated10`1[Banshee.Hardware.IDevice].MoveNext () [0x00076] in /var/abs/local/yaourtbuild/banshee-1-svn/src/banshee/src/Core/Banshee.Services/Banshee.Hardware/HardwareManager.cs:154
  at Banshee.Dap.DapService.OnExtensionChanged (System.Object o, Mono.Addins.ExtensionNodeEventArgs args) [0x0006c] in /var/abs/local/yaourtbuild/banshee-1-svn/src/banshee/src/Dap/Banshee.Dap/Banshee.Dap/DapService.cs:82
  at Mono.Addins.ExtensionNode.add_ExtensionNodeChanged (Mono.Addins.ExtensionNodeEventHandler value) [0x00034] in /home/ise/cvs/extra/lib/mono-addins/src/mono-addins-0.3.1/Mono.Addins/Mono.Addins/ExtensionNode.cs:110

When I plug my handphone in, this is added:
[Warn  21:41:56.677] Caught an exception - Object reference not set to an instance of an object (in `Banshee.Dap.MassStorage')
  at Banshee.Dap.MassStorage.MassStorageSource.get_MediaCapabilities () [0x00000] in /var/abs/local/yaourtbuild/banshee-1-svn/src/banshee/src/Dap/Banshee.Dap.MassStorage/Banshee.Dap.MassStorage/MassStorageSource.cs:103
  at Banshee.Dap.DapSource.Initialize () [0x000ff] in /var/abs/local/yaourtbuild/banshee-1-svn/src/banshee/src/Dap/Banshee.Dap/Banshee.Dap/DapSource.cs:113
  at Banshee.Dap.MassStorage.MassStorageSource.DeviceInitialize (IDevice device) [0x00057] in /var/abs/local/yaourtbuild/banshee-1-svn/src/banshee/src/Dap/Banshee.Dap.MassStorage/Banshee.Dap.MassStorage/MassStorageSource.cs:69
  at Banshee.Dap.DapService.FindDeviceSource (IDevice device) [0x00025] in /var/abs/local/yaourtbuild/banshee-1-svn/src/banshee/src/Dap/Banshee.Dap/Banshee.Dap/DapService.cs:127

--
Hyperair

Re: Banshee and a USB MP3 Player

Gabriel Burt
2008/5/5 Timothy Collins <[hidden email]>:
> Yep. it was in the root. Banshee worked with this very player for almost two
> months straight... then just stopped.

What version of Banshee and your distro were/are you running?  Did
anything change in between (did you upgrade Banshee, your distro, or
install distro updates)?  My guess is that something changed in the
HAL information we use to identify DAPs, and our code was too fragile.

Gabriel

Re: Banshee and a USB MP3 Player

Timothy Collins-2
I upgraded to Ubuntu 8.04 about 3 days before this, but I had sync the player since then.... Otherwise there were no changes.

On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 10:39 PM, Gabriel Burt <[hidden email]> wrote:
2008/5/5 Timothy Collins <[hidden email]>:
> Yep. it was in the root. Banshee worked with this very player for almost two
> months straight... then just stopped.

What version of Banshee and your distro were/are you running?  Did
anything change in between (did you upgrade Banshee, your distro, or
install distro updates)?  My guess is that something changed in the
HAL information we use to identify DAPs, and our code was too fragile.

I'm running Banshee from trunk. ArchLinux. I believe something changed in your code, not something in HAL. I just downgraded to 0.98.3, and all was fine and dandy. No exceptions and whatnot. Then I upgraded back to trunk again, and the problem reappeared.

--
Hyperair

Re: Banshee and a USB MP3 Player

Tim T.
Data point:
  My problem occurs with the 'production version' 0.13.x, as installed
under Ubuntu Hardy.

  Timewise:
   - Updated phone: Banshee saw it as a DAP
   -  updated system to Hardy
   - Discovered Banshee no langer saw my phone as a DAP.

 Depends on what time I get home, but I think I'll try building
Banshee from source tonight or tomorrow; could be something as simple
as a binary
 interface that has changed (I must admit I'm not a C# expert, though)

TimT.

2008/5/5 Hyperair <[hidden email]>:

> On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 10:39 PM, Gabriel Burt <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > 2008/5/5 Timothy Collins <[hidden email]>:
> >
> > > Yep. it was in the root. Banshee worked with this very player for almost
> two
> > > months straight... then just stopped.
> >
> > What version of Banshee and your distro were/are you running?  Did
> > anything change in between (did you upgrade Banshee, your distro, or
> > install distro updates)?  My guess is that something changed in the
> > HAL information we use to identify DAPs, and our code was too fragile.
> >

> I'm running Banshee from trunk. ArchLinux. I believe something changed in
> your code, not something in HAL. I just downgraded to 0.98.3, and all was
> fine and dandy. No exceptions and whatnot. Then I upgraded back to trunk
> again, and the problem reappeared.
>

> --
> Hyperair

Re: Banshee and a USB MP3 Player

Gabriel Burt
2008/5/5 Timothy Collins <[hidden email]>:
> I upgraded to Ubuntu 8.04 about 3 days before this, but I had sync the
> player since then.... Otherwise there were no changes.

You said Banshee had been working for months -- so, are you using
Banshee 0.13.2?  Hyperair's problems on trunk would be totally
unrelated to yours.  If Banshee was held constant for you, then
something changed in your distro.

Gabriel

Re: Banshee and a USB MP3 Player

Gabriel Burt
Banshee 0.13.2?

2008/5/5 Timothy Collins <[hidden email]>:

> I upgraded to Ubuntu 8.04 about 3 days before this, but I had sync the
> player since then.... Otherwise there were no changes.
>

> On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 10:39 AM, Gabriel Burt <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>

> > 2008/5/5 Timothy Collins <[hidden email]>:
> >
> > > Yep. it was in the root. Banshee worked with this very player for almost
> two
> > > months straight... then just stopped.
> >
> > What version of Banshee and your distro were/are you running?  Did
> > anything change in between (did you upgrade Banshee, your distro, or
> > install distro updates)?  My guess is that something changed in the
> > HAL information we use to identify DAPs, and our code was too fragile.
> >
> > Gabriel

Re: Banshee and a USB MP3 Player

Timothy Collins-2
Not 100% sure what version I am using (The Linux PC is at home). It was whatever was installed when I used Ubuntu's package manager....

On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 11:17 AM, Gabriel Burt <[hidden email]> wrote:
Banshee 0.13.2?

2008/5/5 Timothy Collins <[hidden email]>:
> I upgraded to Ubuntu 8.04 about 3 days before this, but I had sync the
> player since then.... Otherwise there were no changes.
>

> On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 10:39 AM, Gabriel Burt <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>

> > 2008/5/5 Timothy Collins <[hidden email]>:
> >
> > > Yep. it was in the root. Banshee worked with this very player for almost
> two
> > > months straight... then just stopped.
> >
> > What version of Banshee and your distro were/are you running?  Did
> > anything change in between (did you upgrade Banshee, your distro, or
> > install distro updates)?  My guess is that something changed in the
> > HAL information we use to identify DAPs, and our code was too fragile.
> >
> > Gabriel

Re: Banshee and a USB MP3 Player

Tim T.
Ok.. managed to find some time to experiment.

- Rebuild banshee from sources on Ubuntu hardy.
- installed new package, started banshee
- Connected phone : shows up in Nautilus browser, does not show in banshee.
   (and yes .is_audio_player is there)

- Looking through the shell where I started banshee
Debug: [5/5/2008 9:06:42 PM] (Testing device for DAP support) -
/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/volume_uuid_3666_6231
Debug: [5/5/2008 9:06:42 PM] (DAP has not been added) -
/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/volume_uuid_3666_6231

As a data point : connected an Ipod Classic 80Gb; this does show up...
Unfortunately, the connection message seems to have scrolled out
of sight, but
Debug: [5/5/2008 9:16:12 PM] (DAP has been added) -
Banshee.Dap.Ipod.IpodDap:
/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/volume_uuid_4A3F_6CEC

I found where the message originates, but as I said before : I'm no C#
I guess I can always add debug statements and  compile again, if some
body can suggest a path to investigate (How do I print the
device_table ?)

TimT
2008/5/5 Timothy Collins <[hidden email]>:

> Not 100% sure what version I am using (The Linux PC is at home). It was
> whatever was installed when I used Ubuntu's package manager....
>

> On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 11:17 AM, Gabriel Burt <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Banshee 0.13.2?
> >

> > 2008/5/5 Timothy Collins <[hidden email]>:
> > > I upgraded to Ubuntu 8.04 about 3 days before this, but I had sync the
> > > player since then.... Otherwise there were no changes.

> almost
> > > two

Re: Banshee and a USB MP3 Player

Josiah Ritchie-3
I'm wondering if something changed in the fdi structure in the Hardy
upgrade that changed how Banshee saw it. I think the FDI would be
referenced if available before the .is_audio_player file would be
given any attention. I may be totally off on this, but it gives you
something to look at. At some point I submitted fdi files to Ubuntu
for some other devices to identify them as music players. You could
probably accomplish this pretty easily.

JSR/

On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 3:23 PM, Tim T. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>  > > >
>  > > > _______________________________________________
>  > > >  Banshee-list mailing list
>  > > >  [hidden email]
>  > > >  http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/banshee-list
>  > > >
>  > > >
>  > > _______________________________________________
>  > > Banshee-list mailing list
>  > > [hidden email]
>  > > http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/banshee-list
>  > >
>  >
>  >
>  >  Banshee-list mailing list
>  >  [hidden email]
>  >  http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/banshee-list
>  >
>  >

Our Mission
Technology and Hospitality for God's Workmen

Ok.. some more data..
I found a reference to N95 in
/usr/share/hal/fdi/information/20thirdparty/20-libmtp7.fdi

Unfortunately, the key given for this phone is different from what my
phone reports
(Theirs 0x0421; 0x04ef, mine : 0x0421:0x04ed, according to lsusb. )

Removing libmtp7.fdi is expensive in terms of software removed (it
will take out banshee as well ;-)
removing the above mentioned file does not make a difference. (At
least, haven't tried rebooting yet..)

Copying the entry for the N95, and fixing the key to the correct value
doesn't seem to make a difference either..
Is there any quick way to get debugging info from libmtp ?

TimT.

On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 9:41 PM, Josiah Ritchie <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>  >  > > Banshee-list mailing list
>  >  > > [hidden email]
>  >  > > http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/banshee-list
>  >  > >
>  >  >
>  >  >
>  >  > _______________________________________________
>  >  >  Banshee-list mailing list
>  >  >  [hidden email]
>  >  >  http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/banshee-list
>  >  >
>  >  >
>  >  _______________________________________________
>  >  Banshee-list mailing list
>  >  [hidden email]
>  >  http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/banshee-list
>  >
>

>  --
>
> Our Mission
>  Technology and Hospitality for God's Workmen

andrewski

Yeah, quite possibly related to the (now fixed) bug in Hardy: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/hal-info/+bug/215761. Messed up a lot of different players at the time.

Re: Banshee and a USB MP3 Player

Tim T.
I'm wondering whether fdi is at all relevant here.

Both Timothy and myself have problems using an mp3 player that
required a .is_audio_player to be detected by banshee, not a player
that uses mtp protocol (where I think the fdi's come in; correct me if
I'm wrong)

For instance, I use an mp3 player that takes SD cards as media.. I
transfer the music directly to the card

Just tested with  Rhythmbox; this detects both the N95 (in USB mass
storage mode) and the SD card as an audio player (and sees the music
on them, if the .is_audio_player file is present.)

Decided to do some digging:

I found references to is_audio_player only in MassStorageDap.cs
Unfortunately, turns out that this file is patched by  the packaging in ubuntu.
Specifically, line 108 in this file is changed
from
           if(player_device["portable_audio_player.access_method"] !=
"storage" &&
-                !File.Exists(IsAudioPlayerPath)) {

            if(!IsMassStorage (player_device) &&
!File.Exists(IsAudioPlayerPath)) {

Unfortunately, taking out that part of the patch doesn't seem to help..

Ok, I don't know anything about C#, but I am enough of a programmer
that I can do some debugging.. If somebody can point me to a tutorial
on using a debugger with C#.. ;-) (Preferably using something like
gdb.. )

TimT.

2008/5/6 Andrew Conkling <[hidden email]>:

> On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 3:41 PM, Josiah Ritchie <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > I'm wondering if something changed in the fdi structure in the Hardy
> > upgrade that changed how Banshee saw it. I think the FDI would be
> > referenced if available before the .is_audio_player file would be
> > given any attention. I may be totally off on this, but it gives you
> > something to look at. At some point I submitted fdi files to Ubuntu
> > for some other devices to identify them as music players. You could
> > probably accomplish this pretty easily.
> >

> Yeah, quite possibly related to the (now fixed) bug in Hardy:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/hal-info/+bug/215761. Messed up a
> lot of different players at the time.

Re: Banshee and a USB MP3 Player

Gabriel Burt
Please svn up to the very latest and try it.  All your problems should be fixed.

On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 3:09 PM, Tim T. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm wondering whether fdi is at all relevant here.
>
>  Both Timothy and myself have problems using an mp3 player that
>  required a .is_audio_player to be detected by banshee, not a player
>  that uses mtp protocol (where I think the fdi's come in; correct me if
>  I'm wrong)
>
>  For instance, I use an mp3 player that takes SD cards as media.. I
>  transfer the music directly to the card
>
>  Just tested with  Rhythmbox; this detects both the N95 (in USB mass
>  storage mode) and the SD card as an audio player (and sees the music
>  on them, if the .is_audio_player file is present.)
>
>  Decided to do some digging:
>
>  I found references to is_audio_player only in MassStorageDap.cs
>  Unfortunately, turns out that this file is patched by  the packaging in ubuntu.
>  Specifically, line 108 in this file is changed
>  from
>            if(player_device["portable_audio_player.access_method"] !=
>  "storage" &&
>  -                !File.Exists(IsAudioPlayerPath)) {

>             if(!IsMassStorage (player_device) &&
>  !File.Exists(IsAudioPlayerPath)) {
>
>  Unfortunately, taking out that part of the patch doesn't seem to help..
>

>  Ok, I don't know anything about C#, but I am enough of a programmer
>  that I can do some debugging.. If somebody can point me to a tutorial
>  on using a debugger with C#.. ;-) (Preferably using something like
>  gdb.. )
>
>  TimT.
>

>  2008/5/6 Andrew Conkling <[hidden email]>:
>

> > On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 3:41 PM, Josiah Ritchie <[hidden email]>
>  > wrote:
>  >
>  > > I'm wondering if something changed in the fdi structure in the Hardy
>  > > upgrade that changed how Banshee saw it. I think the FDI would be
>  > > referenced if available before the .is_audio_player file would be
>  > > given any attention. I may be totally off on this, but it gives you
>  > > something to look at. At some point I submitted fdi files to Ubuntu
>  > > for some other devices to identify them as music players. You could
>  > > probably accomplish this pretty easily.
>  > >
>  >
>  > Yeah, quite possibly related to the (now fixed) bug in Hardy:
>  > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/hal-info/+bug/215761. Messed up a
>  > lot of different players at the time.
>  >

Re: Banshee and a USB MP3 Player

Tim T.
Does latest svn support transfer to other devices ?
(Also, though much less relevant.. is there support for packaging
latest svn as a debian package... ?)

I'll give it a try tomorrow night.. I'll let you know how this turns out.

TimT.

12