Banshee Crashes on Import

rebeltaz
I've been a fan of Banshee since I found linux many years ago. I still use it
on a 16.04 Ubuntu system with no problem. I installed it on a 18.04 Ubuntu
laptop and I cannot get it to import music. A thought it was because I was
trying to import over an smb network connection, so I tried importing from
the local Music directory. Every time, the program either hangs or crashes.

I am running 2.6.2, the latest version available in the Ubuntu repository. I
tried adding the PPA to get the 2.9 version, but apparently that is either
no longer available or incompatible with 18.04.

It looks like Banshee is, sadly, no longer being supported or updated, but I
was hoping maybe someone might know why this might be?

--
Sent from: http://banshee-media-player.2283330.n4.nabble.com/

Re: Banshee Crashes on Import

7even
Yes, there are others around, having the same problem.
I managed to build the source of banshee on my current system (with some
modules disabled, cause they made too much problems to me).
But building banshee from source is quite complicated, we have talked here
e. g. about this:
http://banshee-media-player.2283330.n4.nabble.com/Installing-2-9-1-Syntax-error-unexpected-in-autogen-sh-tp4652651.html

So you may try to build it also, or you may ask s. o. with the same system
to provide the binaries. I am still on 16.04 (Linux Mint 18.3).

-----
http://www.nskcomputing.de | http://www.site7even.de | http://x4fun.site7even.de
--
Sent from: http://banshee-media-player.2283330.n4.nabble.com/

Re: Banshee Crashes on Import

Banshee Media Player mailing list
Hi!

I noticed another annoying crash cause for several months. Banshee hangs
and crashes when a network folder is mounted. I encountered it with
Gnome Google Drive Files integration and Nextcloud (WebDAV mount)).

Because of that, I pushed back as long as I could the use of these tools
to remotely backup my files. But I had to adopt these, either on my work
and personal computers. I am on latest Ubuntu (19.04). With automated
backup (using duplicity), you can't set the precise moment when a backup
will start, thus Banshee can crash and be unusable anytime that a backup
task runs (until the drive is unmounted).

If anyone has a solution for this, I am more than interested in it.

I put many efforts in trying to figure out how to develop Banshee over
the last years. I think that I came close but I couldn't succeed.
Official drop of Banshee from the Ubuntu official packages looks like a
signal that its development is disappointing, isn't it?

Working mainly with Python in data science, I chose to invest my time in
developing Lollypop, in a way that it will have most of Banshee powerful
features such has smart playlists, playlist autofill. I already migrated
my database and could quickly figure out my way to fork the project
source code, start to develop it and submit pull requests to the main
developer. I still use Banshee when I need my regular and smart
playlists that took me years to build and refine, until those features
are available in Lollypop.

I will and already miss Banshee.