Banshee-1 fails to start on Fedora9

Sp3nc3r
Hi All

I was excited to hear that Banshee has finally reached 1.0 status, so I thought I would install it.  I have a vanilla Fedora 9 system and installed in installed banshee using 'yum install banshee'.

When it installed, I try starting using
  banshee-1 --debug-sql
and I get the output:

  <snip loads of output>
  [Debug 14:27:22.022] Exception executing command:
                INSERT INTO CorePlaylists (PlaylistID, Name, SortColumn, SortType)
                    SELECT * FROM Playlists

Unhandled Exception: Mono.Data.SqliteClient.SqliteSyntaxException: 2 values for 4 columns
  at Mono.Data.SqliteClient.SqliteCommand.GetNextStatement (IntPtr pzStart, System.IntPtr& pzTail, System.IntPtr& pStmt) [0x0007e] in /builddir/build/BUILD/mono-1.9.1/mcs/class/Mono.Data.SqliteClient/Mono.Data.SqliteClient/SqliteCommand.cs:368
  at Mono.Data.SqliteClient.SqliteCommand.ExecuteReader (CommandBehavior behavior, Boolean want_results, System.Int32& rows_affected) [0x00059] in /builddir/build/BUILD/mono-1.9.1/mcs/class/Mono.Data.SqliteClient/Mono.Data.SqliteClient/SqliteCommand.cs:596
  at Mono.Data.SqliteClient.SqliteCommand.ExecuteNonQuery () [0x00000] in /builddir/build/BUILD/mono-1.9.1/mcs/class/Mono.Data.SqliteClient/Mono.Data.SqliteClient/SqliteCommand.cs:501
  at Hyena.Data.Sqlite.HyenaSqliteCommand.Execute (Hyena.Data.Sqlite.HyenaSqliteConnection hconnection, Mono.Data.SqliteClient.SqliteConnection connection) [0x00093] in /builddir/build/BUILD/banshee-1-1.0.0/src/Libraries/Hyena/Hyena.Data.Sqlite/HyenaSqliteCommand.cs:116

I tried removing the database and starting again, but I get the same exception again.

Any ideas what might be going wrong?

Regards

Matt

Re: Banshee-1 fails to start on Fedora9

Bertrand Lorentz
Administrator
On Wed, 2008-06-11 at 07:24 -0700, Sp3nc3r wrote:

> Hi All
>
> I was excited to hear that Banshee has finally reached 1.0 status, so I
> thought I would install it.  I have a vanilla Fedora 9 system and installed
> in installed banshee using 'yum install banshee'.
>
> When it installed, I try starting using
>   banshee-1 --debug-sql
> and I get the output:
>
>   <snip loads of output>
>   [Debug 14:27:22.022] Exception executing command:
>                 INSERT INTO CorePlaylists (PlaylistID, Name, SortColumn,
> SortType)
>                     SELECT * FROM Playlists
>

> Unhandled Exception: Mono.Data.SqliteClient.SqliteSyntaxException: 2 values
> for 4 columns
What was the last version of banshee you used before 1.0 ?

It looks like you have a database from a very old version (before 0.11.2
which came out in october 2006), and banshee 1.0 is not able to migrate
the data from it.

If you don't care about losing the data in it, you can remove this old
database file "banshee.db" which should be in "~/.config/banshee" or
"~/.banshee".

Bertrand Lorentz <[hidden email]>
> http://flickr.com/photos/bl8/ <

Re: Banshee-1 fails to start on Fedora9

Gabriel Burt
2008/6/11 Bertrand Lorentz <[hidden email]>:
> It looks like you have a database from a very old version (before 0.11.2
> which came out in october 2006), and banshee 1.0 is not able to migrate
> the data from it.
>
> If you don't care about losing the data in it, you can remove this old
> database file "banshee.db" which should be in "~/.config/banshee" or
> "~/.banshee".

Very interesting.  If you do want to keep your library/playlists,
you'll need to do a couple things:

1) install Banshee 0.13.2 and run it once, so that your database is
upgraded to 0.13.2's schema
2) remove the new Banshee 1.0 data so Banshee 1.0 will copy it from 0.13.2 again
3) run Banshee 1.0, things should now work

Good luck!

Gabriel

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 4:49 PM, Gabriel Burt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> 2) remove the new Banshee 1.0 data so Banshee 1.0 will copy it from 0.13.2 again

Whoops, forgot to say how you can do this:

rm -fr ~/.config/banshee-1/

Gabriel

Re: Banshee-1 fails to start on Fedora9

Sp3nc3r
Thanks for the feedback.

I must have used a number of banshee's over the years, there were a
number of banshee.db's littered all over my file system (my home
directory is on an NFS mount, so persists over upgrades of the OS.  I
have now removed all of them (don't really care about the metadata
collected), and the application is now working.

Thanks again for your help

Matt

On Wed, 2008-06-11 at 07:24 -0700, Sp3nc3r wrote:

> Hi All
>
> I was excited to hear that Banshee has finally reached 1.0 status, so
> I thought I would install it.  I have a vanilla Fedora 9 system and
> installed in installed banshee using 'yum install banshee'.
>
> When it installed, I try starting using
>   banshee-1 --debug-sql
> and I get the output:
>
>   <snip loads of output>
>   [Debug 14:27:22.022] Exception executing command:
>                 INSERT INTO CorePlaylists (PlaylistID, Name,
> SortColumn,
> SortType)
>                     SELECT * FROM Playlists
>

> Unhandled Exception: Mono.Data.SqliteClient.SqliteSyntaxException: 2
> values for 4 columns

What was the last version of banshee you used before 1.0 ?

It looks like you have a database from a very old version (before 0.11.2
which came out in october 2006), and banshee 1.0 is not able to migrate
the data from it.

If you don't care about losing the data in it, you can remove this old
database file "banshee.db" which should be in "~/.config/banshee" or
"~/.banshee".

Bertrand Lorentz <[hidden email]>
> http://flickr.com/photos/bl8/ <
*** NDS US IT scanned this email for malicious content ***
*** IMPORTANT: Do not open attachments from unrecognized senders  ***
This e-mail is confidential, the property of NDS Ltd and intended for the addressee only.  Any dissemination, copying or distribution of this message or any attachments by anyone other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the [hidden email] and destroy the original message.  Messages sent to and from NDS may be monitored.  NDS cannot guarantee any message delivery method is secure or error-free.  Information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses.  We do not accept responsibility for any errors or omissions in this message and/or attachment that arise as a result of transmission.  You should carry out your own virus checks before opening any attachment.  Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of NDS.

NDS Limited Registered office: One Heathrow Boulevard, 286 Bath Road, West Drayton, Middlesex, UB7 0DQ, United Kingdom. A company registered in England and Wales  Registered no. 3080780   VAT no. GB 603 8808 40-00