Artists like "AC/DC" get split to "AC; DC"

Artists like "AC/DC" get split to "AC; DC"

Moonbase
It seems like the artist (and may be even artistsort, albumartist and albumartistsort?) fields get split by a slash "/", which leads to artists like "AC/DC" being split up to "AC; DC".

Which, of course, looks bad when displaying and is awkward to search for: A search for "AC/DC" finds titles like "Andrew Lloyd Webber - AC/DC" but nothing from the band "AC/DC", a search for "AC; DC" finds titles by AC/DC like "AC; DC - Thunderstruck".

Any possibility to avoid/correct this?

Re: Artists like "AC/DC" get split to "AC; DC"

Edu Camargo
Today I understand why big players like iTunes and Winamp don't give support for multi-value fields...

If we're talking of MP3, this is an issue with ID3 V2.3 which designates the forward slash as a character for separating multi values.

Sometimes I think that ID3 v 2.4 should be encouraged as it is more defined in this senario, much the same way as Vorbis Comments do; several artist fields, each one with its own value. You would use only a semicolon, and the player would do the split accordingly.

Anyway, have you experimented it with AAC files to see if it causes the same effect?

Something to be examined in detail by the developers.

Em 03/05/2014 12:07, Moonbase escreveu:
It seems like the artist (and may be even artistsort, albumartist and
albumartistsort?) fields get split by a slash "/", which leads to artists
like "AC/DC" being split up to "AC; DC".

Which, of course, looks bad when displaying and is awkward to search for: A
search for "AC/DC" finds titles like "Andrew Lloyd Webber - AC/DC" but
nothing from the band "AC/DC", a search for "AC; DC" finds titles by AC/DC
like "AC; DC - Thunderstruck".

Any possibility to avoid/correct this?

Edu Camargo

Singer/songwriter, keyboardist, arranger and music producer.

Contacts:

  • Mobile: +55 (11) 96700-5053 (also applies to WhatsApp);
  • E-mail: [hidden email]
  • Skype: educamargo1.

Re: Artists like "AC/DC" get split to "AC; DC"

chrisperro
Hi,
I had the exact same problem as "Moonbase", my AC/DC songs were split into "AC; DC". Thanks to you Edu, I change ID3 v 2.3 to v2.4 onto these songs and Banshee got everything fine; it now displays "AC/DC" correctly!

It was displaying fine when these songs were in Vorbis format (Vorbis comment). This problem appeared when I transcoded them into MP3 v0.

Christian

Le 2014-05-03 12:13, Edu Camargo a écrit :
[...]

Well, I don't encourage proprietary codecs, so I have no AACs to test. Very few OGG, many FLAC and mostly MP3. None of my other players/media libraries behaves like this (i.e., respecting the slash as a field separator), because using a character as separator that can well be used in standard text in lots of fields was a bad design decision anyway.

Unfortunately, for soem compatibility reasons, I cannot (yet) move to ID3v2.4 but instead have to stick with ID3v2.3 with ISO-8859-1 encoding for a while still.

It would be nice if one could SPECIFY the ID3 separator for MP3s, like other software allows. For instance, I also have the reverse problem: Banshee SEPARATES "AC/DC" into "AC; DC" but on the other hand does NOT respect fields that are already separated this way, i.e. MusicBrainz Picard-tagged files that have genre fields like "Rock; Hard Rock; Metal" or the like … so I end up in Banshee with BOTH wrong artist and title fields AND an endless list of "pseudo genres" like the above … *sigh*

And also still no extensions like Mirage for ubuntu 14.04 … which was the main reason for using Banshee.

Re: Artists like "AC/DC" get split to "AC; DC"

Edu Camargo
Well, as you've already mentioned, using the / was a bad decision by the ID3.ORG team, for all fields that might require multi values. Those include artists, composers, genres as well. They should at least have followed the RIFF info chunk's (WAV metadata) guidelines, using semi colon (;) as a delimiter for multiple values.

I wouldn't say that AAC shouldn't be encouraged because it is proprietary; it is in fact an ISO-standard format. MP3 is still the king, and no  one cares about AAC except for the fact that iTunes tracks are delivered that way.