Apparent problem with installing Banshee.GStreamerSharp.dll

Apparent problem with installing Banshee.GStreamerSharp.dll

bwechner
I'm trying to follow this:

http://banshee.fm/contribute/write-extensions/

and it is proving quite difficult I admit. I am still on step 1:

1. Install the latest version of Banshee, including any devel packages; (the latest git master should work great too! Though you'll need to make install it.)
So I cloned the latest banshee form github, and then the obligatory ./autogen.sh && make and got all the dependencies sorted with some effort. But now I'm trying to do "make install".

But it's bombing here:

Making install in Banshee.GStreamerSharp
  MCS   ../../../bin/Banshee.GStreamerSharp.dll
./Banshee.GStreamerSharp/DvdManager.cs(144,41): error CS0234: The type or namespace name `Global' does not exist in the namespace `Gst.Video'. Are you missing an assembly reference?
./Banshee.GStreamerSharp/PlayerEngine.cs(537,33): error CS0234: The type or namespace name `Global' does not exist in the namespace `Gst.PbUtils'. Are you missing an assembly reference?
./Banshee.GStreamerSharp/PlayerEngine.cs(538,49): error CS0234: The type or namespace name `Global' does not exist in the namespace `Gst.PbUtils'. Are you missing an assembly reference?
./Banshee.GStreamerSharp/PlayerEngine.cs(551,76): error CS0234: The type or namespace name `Global' does not exist in the namespace `Gst.PbUtils'. Are you missing an assembly reference?
./Banshee.GStreamerSharp/PlayerEngine.cs(554,37): error CS0234: The type or namespace name `Global' does not exist in the namespace `Gst.PbUtils'. Are you missing an assembly reference?
./Banshee.GStreamerSharp/PlayerEngine.cs(802,28): error CS0117: `Gst.Tag' does not contain a definition for `GetLanguageName'
/usr/local/lib/mono/gstreamer-sharp/gstreamer-sharp.dll (Location of the symbol related to previous error)
./Banshee.GStreamerSharp/VideoManager.cs(117,28): error CS0234: The type or namespace name `Global' does not exist in the namespace `Gst.Video'. Are you missing an assembly reference?
./Banshee.GStreamerSharp/VideoManager.cs(124,58): error CS0266: Cannot implicitly convert type `System.IntPtr' to `ulong'. An explicit conversion exists (are you missing a cast?)
./Banshee.GStreamerSharp/VideoManager.cs(152,54): error CS0266: Cannot implicitly convert type `System.IntPtr' to `ulong'. An explicit conversion exists (are you missing a cast?)
./Banshee.GStreamerSharp/Visualization.cs(150,46): error CS0234: The type or namespace name `Global' does not exist in the namespace `Gst.Audio'. Are you missing an assembly reference?
Compilation failed: 10 error(s), 0 warnings

Which is puzzling to me in the extreme as:

a) it seems to be compiling during a "make install" - I already did a make earlier. Not a huge issue, but a puzzle to me.

b) There appears to be a bug in the source proper which is mildly surprising if the case, as I imagine a community of developers working on banshee aren't having problems installing the master branch head. Curious. Could this be a local config issue again, a missing dependency?

As ever, anyone with the time and motivation to help me understand is a friend ;-).

Regards,

Bernd.

Re: Apparent problem with installing Banshee.GStreamerSharp.dll

bwechner
A week later and no sign of life from the Banshee community. Hmmm. I'm a tad a stuck, and so playing Amarok right now, and RhythmBox as well, but I'm real keen on Banshee too and would love to thin the page above that says it's dead simple to contribute proved accurate but alas here I am humility aside a software professional of many many years, who grew up on Unix albeit has has a hiatus on Windows for a decade ;-) and I'm blown away at how uneasy it has been to get even this far and now I'm stuck. I can't get GStreamerSharp installed ... doh!

Is it just the Christmas period that's so quiet?

Re: Apparent problem with installing Banshee.GStreamerSharp.dll

Nicholas Little
Hi bwechner,

I'm pretty sure there shouldn't be any compiling going on during the
make install step, if that's indeed what you're seeing then it might
be a bug in the build system.

If you're having trouble with the managed backend (gstreamer-sharp)
then an option you have is to reconfigure using the native gstreamer
library by passing switches --enable-gst-native and
--disable-gst-sharp.

The solution and project configurations aren't too well maintained so
I'd stick with autotools for building and just use MonoDevelop for
editing and debugging.

Hope that helps,
Yours,
Nick (arfbtwn)

On 20 December 2015 at 06:40, bwechner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> A week later and no sign of life from the Banshee community. Hmmm. I'm a tad
> a stuck, and so playing Amarok right now, and RhythmBox as well, but I'm
> real keen on Banshee too and would love to thin the page above that says
> it's dead simple to contribute proved accurate but alas here I am humility
> aside a software professional of many many years, who grew up on Unix albeit
> has has a hiatus on Windows for a decade ;-) and I'm blown away at how
> uneasy it has been to get even this far and now I'm stuck. I can't get
> GStreamerSharp installed ... doh!
>
> Is it just the Christmas period that's so quiet?

Registered Linux User #392373

Re: Apparent problem with installing Banshee.GStreamerSharp.dll

bwechner
Nicholas,

Alas I lost interest and moved on to Amarok. Which I could build with
relative ease. Alas I am finding the Amarok community rather inactive
with reports the product is dying and am having real trouble debugging
it in an IDE, so may try Banshee again. My main interest is in
contributing to a living project I guess not a dying one ;-).

So in time I may try your suggestions Nick. For what it's worth I would
expect a "make install" to build if the project hadn't been built yet,
that is I expect it to depend on a existing binaries and if missing to
run the make rules for those (i.e. build ...). But I can't recall the
details right now and have other itches to scratch.

My take is if Banshee found someone who was building on a clean Ubuntu
or Mint system and prepared to document precisely how they achieved that
so it's reproducible, this would be a huge asset to the project ... I
see projects like this dying (c.f. Amarok) for the simple reason that an
initial wave of enthusiastic coders outgrow it and move on and fail to
make entry for new programmers trivially simple ... and if that seems a
high demand, I'm sorry, but most of us I suspect have plenty of things
going on most of which don't demand investing 10 or more hours into
trying just to get a first build running and the code up in an IDE and
debugger to single step through as needed.

If Banshee gave us that, I'd build and start looking at contribs.

As it is, am working on other pet projects that are running way behind
too anyhow so focussed on those.

Regards,

Bernd.