Albums with various artists

cortman
I have a number of albums in my collection with various Artists. I typically leave the "Album Artist" entry blank.
My problem is in the Browser pane, it shows one album with various artists as many albums, per each artist. This results in fragmented albums, which is very annoying.

What can I do to change this? Something like "Sort only by album".

Thanks,

Cortman

Re: Albums with various artists

Edu Camargo
Verify that the "Compilation Album Artist" (or something similar) is checked in the properties window. If not, check this option for the selected albums. Banshee will put the compilation flag to the selected items in your library.

Hth.

Edu.

Em 19/04/2014 22:12, cortman escreveu:
I have a number of albums in my collection with various Artists. I typically
leave the "Album Artist" entry blank.
My problem is in the Browser pane, it shows one album with various artists
as many albums, per each artist. This results in fragmented albums, which is
very annoying.

What can I do to change this? Something like "Sort only by album".

Thanks,

Cortman

Edu Camargo

Singer/songwriter, keyboardist, arranger and music producer.

Contacts:

  • Mobile: +55 (11) 96700-5053 (also applies to WhatsApp);
  • E-mail: [hidden email]
  • Skype: educamargo1.

Re: Albums with various artists

IBBoard
Edu has given you a solution, but just to explain /why/ it happens:

The simplest case of artist vs album artist is an album of
collaborations. The Queens Greatest Hits 3 album is "by" Queen (as the
artist), but some of the tracks are collaborations, such as Queen and
David Bowie. The overall album is still by Queen (you wouldn't list it
as being by Queen and David Bowie and Elton John and Wyclef Jean and…),
but the artist on some tracks is different.

Compilations have the same end result, but it is because each artist is
different. The normal convention is to put "Various" or "Various
artists" as the album artist.

So, Banshee's browser groups by artist and album title, or album
artist/compilation artist and album title (if the album/compilation
artist is set). In the case of compilations then this is wrong, but that
is why the metadata in audio tracks has the ability to be able to
specify an "album artist". The reason they put that in is because you
can't just assume that an album name is unique.

"Greatest Hits" is a great example - go to
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_greatest_hits_albums and see how
many bands have created an album /just/ called "Greatest Hits". Rather
than just group by album title and accidentally group all of ZZ Top,
Alice in Chains, Lynyrd Skynyrd and Aerosmith's separate compilations
into one large album, media players assume that you've used the metadata
correctly and that compilations have a compilation artist.

Hopefully that makes sense.

On 20/04/14 02:12, cortman wrote:

> I have a number of albums in my collection with various Artists. I typically
> leave the "Album Artist" entry blank.
> My problem is in the Browser pane, it shows one album with various artists
> as many albums, per each artist. This results in fragmented albums, which is
> very annoying.
>
> What can I do to change this? Something like "Sort only by album".
>
> Thanks,
>
> Cortman

Re: Albums with various artists

Edu Camargo
Well, particularly I think that having the album artist set is the best way to handle things, considering the aspects mentioned by IBBoard.

In my collection, even with albums with a single artist, I always fill the album artist. There are some players who deal only with a field or another, so if one wants to browse their albums by album artist and the field is blank, You're either left with unknown artist or nothing. Windows Media Player is a big example in this case.

Album artist eases things up in the process of organizing things, because you might find lots of circumstances where albums have the same name and similar stuff, and browsing by album only simply doesn't help. Also, in colaborations I never use the "(feat. Guest Artist)" in the title. Every time I find this I change it to "Artist & Guest Artist" (similar to some iTunes store tracks) to keep the title field clean. Even some iTunes store tracks come with the guest artist in the title, and since iTunes and the iPhone's Music players give me the album artist facility, why bother?

Needless to say that all of these things are a matter of preference so I gave the solution based on this thought. But I also think that the circumstances pointed by IBBoard are things to be considered. We've came a long way since ID3V1 and I think that things can be better now, in terms of getting a consistent music database.

Em 21/04/2014 10:19, IBBoard escreveu:
[...]

Thanks a lot for the help and explanation! Very much appreciated. Problem solved.

Cortman

On Mon, Apr 21, 2014 at 8:19 AM, IBBoard <[hidden email]> wrote:
Edu has given you a solution, but just to explain /why/ it happens:

The simplest case of artist vs album artist is an album of
collaborations. The Queens Greatest Hits 3 album is "by" Queen (as the
artist), but some of the tracks are collaborations, such as Queen and
David Bowie. The overall album is still by Queen (you wouldn't list it
as being by Queen and David Bowie and Elton John and Wyclef Jean and…),
but the artist on some tracks is different.

Compilations have the same end result, but it is because each artist is
different. The normal convention is to put "Various" or "Various
artists" as the album artist.

So, Banshee's browser groups by artist and album title, or album
artist/compilation artist and album title (if the album/compilation
artist is set). In the case of compilations then this is wrong, but that
is why the metadata in audio tracks has the ability to be able to
specify an "album artist". The reason they put that in is because you
can't just assume that an album name is unique.

"Greatest Hits" is a great example - go to
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_greatest_hits_albums and see how
many bands have created an album /just/ called "Greatest Hits". Rather
than just group by album title and accidentally group all of ZZ Top,
Alice in Chains, Lynyrd Skynyrd and Aerosmith's separate compilations
into one large album, media players assume that you've used the metadata
correctly and that compilations have a compilation artist.

Hopefully that makes sense.

On 20/04/14 02:12, cortman wrote:
> I have a number of albums in my collection with various Artists. I typically
> leave the "Album Artist" entry blank.
> My problem is in the Browser pane, it shows one album with various artists
> as many albums, per each artist. This results in fragmented albums, which is
> very annoying.
>
> What can I do to change this? Something like "Sort only by album".
>
> Thanks,
>
> Cortman

Re: Albums with various artists

petter45
I hope you solved this problem. I find it very irritating if I can’t get my music or for that matter any of my data organized the way I want it.

tool albums