Add missing playing time for a track?

Jeffery Small
I have a few mp3 files I have added to Banshee which show up with on track playing time.  Some of these tracks even have a duration time in the metadata which is not being displayed, while others do not.  Is there any way to manually assign a track time?  Thanks.

Re: Add missing playing time for a track?

Nick Dokos-2

Jeffery Small <[hidden email]> writes:

> I have a few mp3 files I have added to Banshee which show up with on track
> playing time.  Some of these tracks even have a duration time in the
> metadata which is not being displayed, while others do not.  Is there any
> way to manually assign a track time?  Thanks.

I don't know if it can be done through the UI, but if you know some
SQL, you can set it in the database ($HOME/.config/banshee-1/banshee.db
in my case): the table is "CoreTracks" and the
columns is "Duration" (it is an integer, expressed in milliseconds).
You will probably need to do a search to find the TrackID of each track,
but that probably depends on how you organize your music. At the very
least, you should be able to search by title.

If you don't know SQL, avoid this: the potential for damage is great.
--
Nick

Re: Add missing playing time for a track?

Jeffery Small
Nick:

Thanks for the feedback.  I haven't used SQL, but this might be the right time to begin experimenting.  I assume, with banshee stopped, I should be able to make a copy of the database and experiment on that, restoring the original if anything goes wrong.  Am I off base here?

One question:  I also see an ossifer-browser-cookies.sqlite database residing in the directory.  This is quite small in size.  Do you know if this is linked to the banshee.db or is used for some separate activity?

Re: Add missing playing time for a track?

Bertrand Lorentz
Administrator
Hi,

Keeping a copy of the banshee.db file is enough as a backup, in case the SQL modifications go wrong.

The ossifer-browser-cookies.sqlite file is just used to store cookies for the web browser embedded in Banshee. You can ignore it for your purposes.

Bertrand

On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 5:44 PM, Jeffery Small <[hidden email]> wrote:
Nick:

Thanks for the feedback.  I haven't used SQL, but this might be the right
time to begin experimenting.  I assume, with banshee stopped, I should be
able to make a copy of the database and experiment on that, restoring the
original if anything goes wrong.  Am I off base here?

One question:  I also see an ossifer-browser-cookies.sqlite database
residing in the directory.  This is quite small in size.  Do you know if
this is linked to the banshee.db or is used for some separate activity?

Re: Add missing playing time for a track?

Jeffery Small
Thanks Bertrand!  This will be a good project for dipping my toe into SQL.

Jeff